This mother fu*%ing TPMS system is going to get me to sell this car…with dealership rant

OP
OP

frodooftheshire

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX series gray
Country flag
@OP, you comment that you generally get the light on canyon runs. Are you also doing the 30-minute drive in said environment and driving hard?
No hard driving. Driving pretty relaxed between 30-65 mph.
Sponsored

OP
OP

frodooftheshire

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX series gray
Country flag
Master reset is recalibrating the tpms 3 times in a row after the calibration message disappears. Make sure tires are at right pressure before. This is what I do at the dealership and never had a comeback.
yeah I’ve probably done this 5 times at least. Wish this was my problem.

OP
OP

frodooftheshire

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX series gray
Country flag
My AR comment was referring to multiple adjustments to the tire pressures.

After carefully rereading your first post there are a couple of comments to consider:

1) most significant
"For the third visit I encouraged Beaverton Honda to do a deeper dive. They required that I put on the factory wheels/tires for troubleshooting. They had my car for 8 + hours. The shop foreman, Gordon, said that they were seeing some strange results with diagnostics - something to the nature of 'the system is reporting all the tires are going g flat simultaneously.'” g flat is a tone (frequency) of about 370 hz

Based on how the TPMS works (you do have a copy of the Service Manual, available on this Forum, don't you?) this would indicate the issue may be front wheel frequency variation not directly tire pressure (rotational speed). (see SM TMPS section (part 34)). Did Gordon indicate if the "g flat" was the value stored in the TPMS module or the value they had an issue with? This info should be communicated to whoever is troubleshooting the issue.

2) On the off-chance the calibration is the issue - do you always drive the same route when calibrating? A frequency issue could be the road/tire "song" frequency detected during the calibration. Does the calibration complete each time you do it?

Hope this helps.
I came from a 2018 GTI which has the passive tmps...TMPS was never an issue on my GTI and the time it went off, it was accurate in detecting decrepencies between the 4 wheels.

The 2022 golf r likely will have a carry over of the TMPS system from the previous generation.

I was a regular on the GTI/R FB pages and rarely ever hear of any tmps complaints compared to the CTR pages. It's not a problem on that platform but then again maybe they just dialed down the sensitivity.

If you do decide to get a Golf R...be prepared for waterpump and possible thrust bearing failures(rare issue with the manual trans) VW cant seem to get it right after having this issue for several generations lol...

And these golf's are soft driving...you will not get the rawness like you do from the CTR but they are very refined.
Thanks for the information. When I read that it was passive I was like….”dammmmnit,” but now I’m not as worried about it. I’ve had a few VWs in the past and know they aren’t the most reliable, but it seems on average I don’t keep a car past 20-30k miles so reliability shouldn’t be an issue.
Sponsored