Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey everyone,

This is my first post. Long time browser but just create an account. I bought my 2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT new in 2017 and FINALLY have time/resources to modify.

TLDR: High mileage; New Struts/Shocks; Lowering Springs --- What else should I replace within the suspension?

For context:
  • I have been researching for weeks regarding upgrading the suspension on my 2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT. There are many helpful forums on here, but I feel like this post will help others who might be in a similar situation. My FK7 currently has about 90,000 miles. I want to lower the car modestly, while replacing/upgrading components of the suspension that are starting to 'expire' due to age/mileage. This is my daily. I do not plan on going to the track or pushing much more than OEM power due to the CVT & needing a reliable vehicle.

My goal:
  • Great handling, reliable, sporty ride - no headaches
So far, I have decided on Bilstein B6 struts/shocks paired with H&R Sport springs. I plan on running Enkei TY-5 18x8.5 e35.

For the reliability and general maintenance I am curious about what else I should replace. I am on a budget, but I would rather replace what is accessible/worn while everything is taken apart.

Parts considered:

Front:
Ball Joints
Control Arm Bushings
Tie Rod Ends
CV Axles
Wheel Bearings

Rear:
To my knowledge, these parts don't wear out as quickly... but I am also somewhat ignorant to rear suspensions. Any suggestions?

Specific Parts Considered:
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit - This might be overkill for my setup, but I have been experiencing wheel hop under heavy braking and want to mitigate this.
Whiteline/MOOG Ball Joints - This seems like a no brainer as they're reasonably priced and last around 100k based on my research
Mevotech Control Arms - This would knock out ball joints and control arm bushings. Cost effective and easier install.

Future Parts: These are parts I am considering in the future as they aren't completely integrated with the suspension (for the most part).
Upgraded Sway Bars
Strut Bar

If you have read this far, thank you. I would appreciate any feedback. I read through many posts, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for as many are tailored to track use or mods on cars that were new a couple years ago. I hope this post serves to help others in a similar situation as this generation of Civic ages. This is my first time lowering a vehicle, a vehicle I have grown to love and plan on keeping for many years to come.

-TR
Sponsored

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
A tad late with the reply here, seeing as you're only at 90k miles I wouldn't worry too much about preemptively replacing suspension parts. Things like ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings normally go 150k miles + nowadays and OEM quality will always be higher than aftermarket replacements.

As for mods to liven the car up a bit, a larger rear sway bar goes a long way on these cars. Eibach and Whiteline are both very popular and good options. If interested we'd be glad to get you set up with either!

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019 sedan, non-Si
Country flag
I agree. Your suspension is not about to "expire" yet. You're just rushing to upgrade like I did when I recently changed my front discs and pads after only 45000km for slotted ones šŸ˜‚! Most people here love upgrades! I'd suggest you pair the HR springs with the KONI yellow sport struts instead of the bilstein. It's a personal thing but I believe that the konis offer all the sport characteristics you'll love without being so harsh, going "dang-dang" on the potholes like with bilsteins or almost every coilovers set available.

OP
OP
Galactic_fk7

Galactic_fk7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I appreciate all of the responses. I ended up completing most of what I referenced last week. So far, already a significant improvement. I opted for the B6 Bilstein pairs with H&R Sport Springs. After considering other suspension parts and spending way more than anticipated, I decided to wait on ordering anything else. I was getting a little carried away with ā€œwhile itā€™s all taken apartā€. Other than the suspension I put on wheels and tires and added the Torque Solutions mount. Honestly the torque mount was hands down the best mod and how the car should have came stock. Overall, happy with the progress. The rear drop in the rear is the only thing Iā€™m a little unsatisfied with, but then again I didnā€™t want to go too crazy.

Honda Civic 10th gen Suspension Maintenance / Modification - Questions A2CF7EAB-5C6C-4418-A0A7-9EA794BDAE82

OP
OP
Galactic_fk7

Galactic_fk7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A tad late with the reply here, seeing as you're only at 90k miles I wouldn't worry too much about preemptively replacing suspension parts. Things like ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings normally go 150k miles + nowadays and OEM quality will always be higher than aftermarket replacements.

As for mods to liven the car up a bit, a larger rear sway bar goes a long way on these cars. Eibach and Whiteline are both very popular and good options. If interested we'd be glad to get you set up with either!
Definitely considering sway bar upgrades. I appreciate the feedback. As for the suspension, I was getting a little carried away and opted to just let a mechanic look over it while installing. Thereā€™s some wear, but as you stated itā€™s not time yet.

OP
OP
Galactic_fk7

Galactic_fk7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree. Your suspension is not about to "expire" yet. You're just rushing to upgrade like I did when I recently changed my front discs and pads after only 45000km for slotted ones šŸ˜‚! Most people here love upgrades! I'd suggest you pair the HR springs with the KONI yellow sport struts instead of the bilstein. It's a personal thing but I believe that the konis offer all the sport characteristics you'll love without being so harsh, going "dang-dang" on the potholes like with bilsteins or almost every coilovers set available.
I appreciate the feedback. I ended up with the Bilstein B6. My OEM struts werenā€™t bad, but definitely were on their way out. I had not seen anyone who paired the B6 with the H&R, so I was also curious to just run it. So far so good.

OP
OP
Galactic_fk7

Galactic_fk7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
RV6 is a good starting point. Aside from lighter wheels and upgraded tires the single biggest improvement for me were Spoon Collars, made the car feel planted on uneven surfaces including high speed hywy interchanges.
https://www.rv6-p.com/civic-18/10th-gen-2016-/1-5l-turbo/suspension/
The B6 pairs with H&R already feel like a huge upgrade over OEM. I appreciate the feedback. I havenā€™t had a chance to drive her out on the interstate, but itā€™s definitely much for firm and planted, without taking away from the comfort too much.
Sponsored