Some input from fellow CTR owners...

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
I'll try and make this as simple and quick as possible...

Just recently purchased my CTR. It is my daily driven car. I absolutely love everything about it (minus the red seat belts lol). I want to do a few upgrades to it but first wanted to get some input from other CTR owners or people who know what they're talking about.

So my list of upgrades is very short.
PRL intake
PRL turbo inlet pipe
FMIC

I am NOT looking for big horsepower gains. The intake and inlet pipe honestly is more of me going for sound, but I do want the car to breathe better. My question is would a FMIC upgrade really be necessary or would that just be a waste of money since I'm not really going for power gains and do not plan on buying Hondata?

All commets/suggestions are truly appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mr. X

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you going to track it or live in a very hot area? If so, get the FMIC, if not, it's not necessarily required, but helpful. The PRL Intake is all you'd really need for sound, the inlet won't change that and honestly, won't likely see a massive difference from it, unless again, tracking. For daily driving, I'd say just go with the intake and call it a day. Get some turbo spoolies and whooshes.

Wheels can be useful if you live in pothole heaven, the 20s won't last a month.
I live in Northern Virginia and NO I will not be tracking the car. Appreciate the input!

OP
OP
Mr. X

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had the PRL inlet and didn't really see any temp changes or noticeable sound difference, it just looked better in the engine bay. IMO for daily driving, I wouldn't buy again. Wheels are preference, the 20s can work but usually others will go with 245/35r20 over the 245/30r20 tire setup. A lot go with 18s and never look back, myself included. I was FBO + tuned + flex fuel on stock FMIC and for regular use, it worked perfectly fine. I looked at the 27won FMIC simply because it's black and looked nice, but decided I didn't want to remove the bumper because that opens the door for more issues because the snaps on our bumpers are pretty weak.
Thank you for the feedback! This helps me out a lot!

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Swap the stock wheel and tire setup for a decent set of 18's.
+1, arguably best first mod for the car. The replacement cost of a wheel is crazy if I recall correctly, and one hard pothole will crumple those 20's. Ride quality is so much better on 18's as well.

PRL intake is the way to go. I got the Takeda and I don't think it's quite as loud as the PRL from what I've heard/read. I haven't heard one in person unfortunately so that's why I say maybe, but I'm going more for sound like you. It's a well made intake and they have the race MAF upgrade too if you ever decide to start pushing things.

You have a 2021, so they did make some updates to help with cooling. Since you aren't pushing the car very hard or tracking it, it's probably not a big deal to leave the OEM intercooler on there.

Sounds like you just need a harness bar and some harnesses if you don't like the red belts lol!

OP
OP
Mr. X

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
+1, arguably best first mod for the car. The replacement cost of a wheel is crazy if I recall correctly, and one hard pothole will crumple those 20's. Ride quality is so much better on 18's as well.

PRL intake is the way to go. I got the Takeda and I don't think it's quite as loud as the PRL from what I've heard/read. I haven't heard one in person unfortunately so that's why I say maybe, but I'm going more for sound like you. It's a well made intake and they have the race MAF upgrade too if you ever decide to start pushing things.

You have a 2021, so they did make some updates to help with cooling. Since you aren't pushing the car very hard or tracking it, it's probably not a big deal to leave the OEM intercooler on there.

Sounds like you just need a harness bar and some harnesses if you don't like the red belts lol!
Thanks for the input as well! The seatbelts are kinda growing on me. lol...I'll be ordering the PRL intake this weekend so I do look forward to that. Would a 19' wheel do the job? From reading through the forum I know a lot of guys run 18' wheels but most of them are lowered on springs to fill that wheel gap. I on the other hand do not plan on lowering the car. I'm thinking a 19' wheel with a meaty tire to help fill the wheel gap.

jmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NSX-T & 2021 Civic Type R LE USA-029
Country flag
UHP AS tires for the colder months. You can't find many to fit the stock rims. Many use 245/35/R20's instead. Lots of good choices in that size.

Last edited:

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the input as well! The seatbelts are kinda growing on me. lol...I'll be ordering the PRL intake this weekend so I do look forward to that. Would a 19' wheel do the job? From reading through the forum I know a lot of guys run 18' wheels but most of them are lowered on springs to fill that wheel gap. I on the other hand do not plan on lowering the car. I'm thinking a 19' wheel with a meaty tire to help fill the wheel gap.
I run 255/40/18 which are pretty tall sidewalls. I rub when I really push the car in sport or especially comfort, but that has more to do with offset because I'm pretty flush to the fenders. But, I will say after having them a while, I definitely want to go to 265 35's and then drop it 0.7" with the H&R or Spoon springs. It just kinda looks a bit goofy to me by filling the wheel gap with rubber now that I've done it. But from a quick glance it does look like I'm lowered a bit.

19' works as well, you'll find too here that a lot run the NSX 19" wheels with no issue, or other 19" variations. The biggest issue with the OEM is simply the rubber band sized side walls.
I have seen too many instances of damaged wheels, worse than just the tires. The damage usually looks GNARLY, like I find myself asking "How is there that much damage from a pot hole??" But that's exactly it, literally the tire is not able to absorb the impact due to being so thin. I recall reading at different points about people wanting to get taller sidewalls, but never really heard results or anything.

My buddy locally just had some pretty intense damage to one wheel, but he has the wheel and tire protection so he was all good.

UHP AS tires for the colder months.
Lol, I drove mine across the city in a snowstorm when I took it home.... I should mention I learned to drive stick on this car LOL. I had my buddy who's got an Si take it off the lot because it's a super busy main road. But yeah that ride home was crazy sketchy. Those summer tires handle like bricks in the snow.

OP
OP
Mr. X

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I run 255/40/18 which are pretty tall sidewalls. I rub when I really push the car in sport or especially comfort, but that has more to do with offset because I'm pretty flush to the fenders. But, I will say after having them a while, I definitely want to go to 265 35's and then drop it 0.7" with the H&R or Spoon springs. It just kinda looks a bit goofy to me by filling the wheel gap with rubber now that I've done it. But from a quick glance it does look like I'm lowered a bit.
Hmm interesting! Do you have any pictures of your current setup? I take a bunch of notes from reading the threads and I honestly thought running a 255/40/19 would be my best bet since I don't plan on lowering the car. I want to avoid any rubbing issue as well.

jmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NSX-T & 2021 Civic Type R LE USA-029
Country flag
Hmm interesting! Do you have any pictures of your current setup? I take a bunch of notes from reading the threads and I honestly thought running a 255/40/19 would be my best bet since I don't plan on lowering the car. I want to avoid any rubbing issue as well.
Go 35 series with the 19" rims. 40 series on the 18".

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I'm on 18's with the same tire specs I would recommend you use a site like tire-calc.com when doing research like this:

Honda Civic 10th gen Some input from fellow CTR owners... 1630001578474

You're looking at 1" larger diameter than I run, and like I said I already rub a bit when really pushing it or the road is rough around a corner. But again that has more to do with offset and tire width. I run a +38 offset and 9.5 wide wheels, which sit flush with the fender. I think a +42 or +45 gives you more clearance, and you might be able to run that tire size. Pretty sure you will not have any gap to the fender as I think I have like 1/2" gap on my setup and again this is a 1" larger diameter so 1/2" taller to the fender. But this seems like something that you should find a specific setup on the Type R wheel and tire thread where someone is running 19s with the tire size you want and find out what their offset and width are.

For me another part of the choice is that 265/35/18 tires are a common performance size. This means the good tires more widely available, making it easier to find tires in stock in the right size, or being able to scoop up a lightly used set for cheap. I actually already had these tires and that's the only reason I'm running a 255/40/18.

When it comes to 18's vs 19's, I just feel like in the past I have seen price is higher and availability is lower for say a 265 35 19 vs a 265 35 18, but that is past experience and I could be wrong.

My instagram is @break_ya_neck_fk8 I linked it there so you can just click it. Lots of pics there.

Here's a few though:
Honda Civic 10th gen Some input from fellow CTR owners... PXL_20210725_183853004
Honda Civic 10th gen Some input from fellow CTR owners... zoom BG

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I'll try and make this as simple and quick as possible...

Just recently purchased my CTR. It is my daily driven car. I absolutely love everything about it (minus the red seat belts lol). I want to do a few upgrades to it but first wanted to get some input from other CTR owners or people who know what they're talking about.

So my list of upgrades is very short.
PRL intake
PRL turbo inlet pipe
FMIC

I am NOT looking for big horsepower gains. The intake and inlet pipe honestly is more of me going for sound, but I do want the car to breathe better. My question is would a FMIC upgrade really be necessary or would that just be a waste of money since I'm not really going for power gains and do not plan on buying Hondata?

All commets/suggestions are truly appreciated!
If all youre looking for is a bit of sound just do the intake. The inlet pipe isnt going to be that beneficial for you, and none of the mods will do much for power without a tune.

You wont feel the difference from the FMIC either. Just my .02.

The Bad Guy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 CBP Si Sedan, 06 G6, 15 Silverado
Country flag
But, I will say after having them a while, I definitely want to go to 265 35's and then drop it 0.7" with the H&R or Spoon springs. It just kinda looks a bit goofy to me by filling the wheel gap with rubber now that I've done it. But from a quick glance it does look like I'm lowered a bit.
Dude, it looks really good!

OP
OP
Mr. X

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Since I'm on 18's with the same tire specs I would recommend you use a site like tire-calc.com when doing research like this:

1630001578474.png

You're looking at 1" larger diameter than I run, and like I said I already rub a bit when really pushing it or the road is rough around a corner. But again that has more to do with offset and tire width. I run a +38 offset and 9.5 wide wheels, which sit flush with the fender. I think a +42 or +45 gives you more clearance, and you might be able to run that tire size. Pretty sure you will not have any gap to the fender as I think I have like 1/2" gap on my setup and again this is a 1" larger diameter so 1/2" taller to the fender. But this seems like something that you should find a specific setup on the Type R wheel and tire thread where someone is running 19s with the tire size you want and find out what their offset and width are.

For me another part of the choice is that 265/35/18 tires are a common performance size. This means the good tires more widely available, making it easier to find tires in stock in the right size, or being able to scoop up a lightly used set for cheap. I actually already had these tires and that's the only reason I'm running a 255/40/18.

When it comes to 18's vs 19's, I just feel like in the past I have seen price is higher and availability is lower for say a 265 35 19 vs a 265 35 18, but that is past experience and I could be wrong.

My instagram is @break_ya_neck_fk8 I linked it there so you can just click it. Lots of pics there.

Here's a few though:
PXL_20210725_183853004.jpg
zoom BG.jpg
Appreciate all the info bro! Your setup looks GREAT IMO. I gave you a follow as well on IG. :thumbsup:

Go 35 series with the 19" rims. 40 series on the 18".
Thanks for the suggestions! Appreciate it!

OP
OP
Mr. X

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If all youre looking for is a bit of sound just do the intake. The inlet pipe isnt going to be that beneficial for you, and none of the mods will do much for power without a tune.

You wont feel the difference from the FMIC either. Just my .02.
Yeah I think I'll just stick with the intake and call it a day. Appreciate the input. Once I start the journey of finding the correct wheel & tire combo I'll be sure to hit you up. Your setup is NIIIIICEEE :thumbsup:
Sponsored