Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Within 2 degrees of stock.............that's not "much higher"...........no CAI reading either.........
Right, so running SRI does not cause higher intake temps, however should improve airflow with unrestricted SRI setup.

Si Stuart

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe. 1969 Karmann Ghia.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know that a lot of people dont like hearing this, but you asked for info:

A CAI is usually behind the front bumper and closer to the ground. In a hot climate, the asphalt gets heated to extremely high temperatures (much higher that the daily high temperature shown on the weather). The temperature of the ambient air just above the road surface is is also significantly hotter. As you drive down the road, the CAI is sucking up hotter ambient air that is heated by the road surface. This air is also hotter than the ambient air that is passing though your grille as you drive down the same road. Ideally you would want an intake that draws air from hood height or at least the front grill area.

The CAI may show better dyno numbers when done in a shaded garage with the car a foot off the ground and a fan blowing on it. This will get you paper bragging rights if that is what you are after, but does not match real word driving in a hot climate.

I'm not saying one is right or wrong, i just wanted to provide you with some info to consider while you make your decision :)
This is an interesting point! With this in mind, extremely hot or wet areas may not see much of a benefit for CAI.

I would like to add a point that, from factory, these cars were tested in the Mojave Desert (which is very hot). So, it could just be preference in the end. I am glad that our community has choices though. Especially when these choices add character and wholesome blow off noises