Sensing and your Civic in Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can maybe see some sense in that in the very limited case of black ice. (A more rare event in my 40 year Colorado experience than snow.) OTOH, if the alternative is my hitting something through inattention, maybe it's a better choice than nothing. But I'd also hope that I was avoiding any conditions that would cause it to sense imminent collision in the first place.
I bought my car off the lot and didn't know all it's features. My driving style caused it to sense imminent collision for no reason so I turned it off. I read also that we shouldn't use cruise control in winter conditions either and I think the application of braking might have been the reason.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
…shouldn't use cruise control in winter conditions either and I think the application of braking might have been the reason.
I believe the rationale for that recommendation, with traditional cruise, is that if the car is slowing even slightly on ice, the cruise may try to apply throttle to hold speed, potentially causing wheel spin that VSA would then have to compensate for.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe the rationale for that recommendation, with traditional cruise, is that if the car is slowing even slightly on ice, the cruise may try to apply throttle to hold speed, potentially causing wheel spin that VSA would then have to compensate for.
I'm not sure of the reason, but I remembered the recommendation and never use it anyway. I definitely don't want that collision sensor going off in our winter conditions.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
'Apply throttle'... Heh. Most cruise system apply a HEALTHY dose of throttle, which if you're in water, or on snow or ice can break the tires loose quickly. This may cause the car to slow more, so the cruise applies even MORE throttle. At which point, a lot of drivers lose control and end up off the road or into whatever's next to them. I've done it intentionally a few times to keep sharp, and with a powerful car it can be a bit of a surprise, especially with torque steer...