TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
I don't understand why they talk about diameter of the wheel. I think they mix up things. It is the ET that influence the torque steering.
Then....I started with a Saab 9-3 Viggen tuned to 270hp and 400Nm. That car was like a wild horse under accelerations. I had to fight with the car to keep it strait and that made it a very fun car for me (but not for my passengers...). I know it sounds crazy but sometimes I think that all this perfection that we get in the Type R is a bit....boring....!
Sponsored

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think they mentioned diameter is because they don't make high offset wheels for 18s for this car, so going smaller necessitate moving the offset...

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, it's because running skinny (tread width and sidewall) tires with no compliance on a 300+whp FWD car is retarded. Compliance is grip, compliance is durability. Giving the CTR 265 or even 275/35/18 up front in a nice summer compound completely transforms the car into something better. That width just necessitates some offset drop to get the inside of the tire off the strut (backspacing), that's all.

There may be a multitude of reasons why Honda decided on factory 20's, but try finding one person who has gone slower or bent more wheels after dropping to 18's.

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
I would really like to know why Honda went from 19" (FK2 Type R) to 20". I mean an official explanation....

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
I would really like to know why Honda went from 19" (FK2 Type R) to 20". I mean an official explanation....
Two reasons I can think of:
  • Looks - almost every performance oriented car these days has bigger wheels to fill the wells/arches.
  • Steering 'feel' - this one is subjective, but going to 255-30 tires on the stock wheels I gained a bit more sidewall and immediately noticed a bit of the steering was numbed. Not significant but because of EPS I suspect that is another reason so many manufacturers go the big wheel+rubber band route. They're forcing more contact with the ground (and a more stiff 'motorsporty' sensation) by having almost no tire between it and the wheel, instead of spending more money in making that part of the experience in the first place.
Don't think anyone at Honda would care to comment though...
Sponsored