Gscar25

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I just noticed this the other day while washing the car. Any chance this will be covered under warranty? It is raised and looked like the start of corrosion. The car is 9 months old with 11000 miles on it. However the car is garage kept and hasn’t seen a lick of salt.

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint defect? 276E7FB8-755C-48C4-A8BE-B4391B91E75A

Honda Civic 10th gen Paint defect? 7B0893BB-5265-4666-B75A-4ACB502343DF

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I just noticed this the other day while washing the car. Any chance this will be covered under warranty? It is raised and looked like the start of corrosion. The car is 9 months old with 11000 miles on it. However the car is garage kept and hasn’t seen a lick of salt.

276E7FB8-755C-48C4-A8BE-B4391B91E75A.jpeg

7B0893BB-5265-4666-B75A-4ACB502343DF.jpeg
Can't make out what the Black Photo is, but what looks like it could be what you are talking about looks very even.. which would be strange for corrosion.

The BLUE .. yes, I would be unhappy to see that as well ... Have to wonder how long it has been like that, or if you only just noticed it,

Good that you have Photos.

Personally, looking at the Blue one , I do not know what I would do.
Obviously, I would like it to be "Right", but then I would be worried that if the Dealer attempted to "FIX IT", the result might be even worse.

I think I would keep an eye on it for the next 9 months, take regular photos (as close as possible with the same view), and thereby document if it is getting worse.
Your Warranty is good for 3 year ? (really not sure, could be more), but in any case, in 9 months you will still be well within your warranty period, and by then you will have a documented history as to how the problem is developing.

That's what I would do -- you must do what you feel comfortable with, and therefore I am in NO WAY "Telling you what to do" .. ( I am sure others will ;) )

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Wouldn't hurt to let the dealer know, right? If it's something serious, it has to be covered.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Wouldn't hurt to let the dealer know, right? If it's something serious, it has to be covered.
Maybe would not hurt to let them know, but I would advise going to a good Body Shop first, and get their professional and knowledgeable evaluation of what is happening BEFORE showing it to the dealer, and potentially being feed a lot of BS from uniformed, or dishonest dealer.

Also, would not hurt to get and estimate from the Body Shop to correct it, and have that knowledge in your head when talking to the dealer.

At least you will have educated yourself as to what is most likely happening, as well as knowing how a Professional Body shop would deal with it.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

TOMMY B

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
219 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
The Si Coupe I believe are made in Canada , it will be interesting to see over the years to see how cars made in Canada, US & UK paint last compared to each other. I had Candain made 09 Si Honda 4 door the paint quality was very good but it was always grarge from new.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Si Coupe I believe are made in Canada , it will be interesting to see over the years to see how cars made in Canada, US & UK paint last compared to each other. I had Candain made 09 Si Honda 4 door the paint quality was very good but it was always grarge from new.
I believe:
The SI Coupe is manufactured in Canada (for the American Market)
The R is manufactured in England, UK (for the American Market)

Next time you are at a Dealer, take a look at the paint jobs on these two, and compare.
I found that the R looked like it had far better paintwork, with little to no Orange Peel.
The other civics, ie SI, all had significantly more orange peel.

Maybe the R's have more paint correction ? Maybe the paint job is just better to start with ?

What would not be good would be if the R's have had significant Paint Correction, and now have a thinner paint coating than other less or not uncorrected Civics.

Most Civic paint jobs look OK, until you stand them next to a Custom Painted show car.
But you get what you pay for - not many would buy a Civic if it cost an extra $5000 - $10,000 because of a Custom level paint job !!

If you mean by "professional" that you want an absolute show grade finish which requires a complete stripping and other rather extreme preparation you can see a $10,000 charge relatively easily. Expect this job to take as much as a year to complete.

High quality paints can easily reach $600 a gallon, usually even more. Labor costs for a truly professional job requires highly skilled people and can pretty easily reach $200-300 an hour.
I am seriously now considering a Career change to Professional Car painter ;)

Last edited:

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I personally will highlight it to the dealership because if it starts coming through, they will blame it on anything other than themselves (chipped paint etc). Take it sooner rather than later to show that the anomaly to the paint came from them and not a result of your care.
Sponsored