My Rant About Voice Dialing...

ricky_vato

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2012 Crosstour
I remember the days with my 2008, 2012 Fits, 2015, 2016 Civics, when I wanted to make a call, I simply said, "Dial Mom", or Dial (insert name). The phone will immediately dial. Now, this voice dial is frustrating. Push to talk, "Please say the name, etc." "You can press the talk button at any time." Okay, I press the Talk button to interrupt that long explanation. I say, "Call Mom". I get all kinds of names from my phonebook or recent calls. After paying closer attention (read the manual, what a concept!) to this system, I have to program "Mom Home, or a name with an additional word after. Why? I get it that some people have a home, work, and a cell number, but if I just want to say the first name, no can do anymore. On the previous system if your contact had more than one number, the system would ask which number. Simple.

The other is, why oh why does the radio come back on before the system dials out? Sound is already muted recognizing your request. But then you get the radio again for 2 seconds. Huh?! I am sure some of you do not see this as an issue, but for me. geeez...

Rant finished.
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just gave up with all the voice stuff. Its very annoying ,I just hit phone on the wheel and use the speed dial.

Reactions: jms

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
you know you can turn off all the tutorial prompts in the settings...

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I don't use voice commands for making calls. You can push the call button on the steering wheel and access favorites (speed dial), or recent calls. The only time voice dictation/recognition is helpful is when I have my phone hooked up for Android Auto (Google Assistant)

OP
OP

ricky_vato

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2012 Crosstour
you know you can turn off all the tutorial prompts in the settings...
Thanks!! Did not think to do that in Settings. I only usel speed dial for two people. Still a slow process with that damn 2 second radio thing...

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if you have an android or apple phone, but I have a Galaxy S8+ and Android Auto works really well for voice commands. It's not quite as fast as you describe in the olden days, but I can say, "Hey Google." followed by "Call Mom." and it calls Mom.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't use voice commands for making calls. You can push the call button on the steering wheel and access favorites (speed dial), or recent calls. The only time voice dictation/recognition is helpful is when I have my phone hooked up for Android Auto (Google Assistant)
Yep. Built-in VR is shit at best.
Sponsored