xpimpindistressx

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma Offroad
Country flag
Not really in all honesty. Your post justifying why a person should pay ADM is pretty useless considering that it is NEED vs. WANT. You WANTED the car now, so you paying a markup for it, whether it be 1K, 2K, 3K, 5K, or more, was your choice. What matters is that you yourself are happy with your purchase and you yourself feel justified in spending $X.XX amount of dollars over MSRP. If you look back 5 years from now, and are comfortable with paying what you did for the car, then why does anyone else's opinion matter so much? Don't get triggered so easily.

Calling me a tire kicker is hilarious though. The difference between me and you is that I have enough patience to wait it out. I also have a 2016 Acura so I am in no rush to jump in and pay over MSRP for a car that will be obtainable at MSRP or cheaper at some point. I've called about 30 dealerships thus far, and I myself cannot justify paying $50K for a Civic right this very second. Type R or not. But if you are active like I am, prices in some areas have already started to drop. There are used ones popping up as well online already. It's only a matter of time.

But, enjoy the car. You bought it for a reason, and that reason was you WANTED to be one of the first owners of the first Model year of the Type R in America. If that makes you happy, more power to you.
like you just said, you called about 30 dealerships. and looks like you still don't have one. ADM is marked on this car because there are more buyers than units. It will always be this way. Turn your attention to Ebay, its a very good source to tell you how the Type R market is doing right now.

Why don't we just do this! You come back and talk to me as a fellow type R owner if that ever happens. Right now you are just another dreamer in the Honda Game. And the words out of your mouth are just like "blah blah blah"
Sponsored

SpraykwoN

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec and looking for a Civic Type-R
Country flag
like you just said, you called about 30 dealerships. and looks like you still don't have one. ADM is marked on this car because there are more buyers than units. It will always be this way. Turn your attention to Ebay, its a very good source to tell you how the Type R market is doing right now.

Why don't we just do this! You come back and talk to me as a fellow type R owner if that ever happens. Right now you are just another dreamer in the Honda Game. And the words out of your mouth are just like "blah blah blah"
Couple things:

1. Check eBay and note that cars aren't selling at their current prices. Dealerships are also dropping prices on cars that are not moving in their showrooms. Do a little sleuthing and you will see this. I for one am not gonna travel across the US for the car. Doesn't mean I don't want one any less than anyone else.
2. I'll be a Type R owner when the time is right. Why don't you come talk to me when you are ready to admit you paid over MSRP for your car because you WANTED it sooner than later. It's not hard to do.

OP
OP
xpimpindistressx

xpimpindistressx

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma Offroad
Country flag
Couple things:

1. Check eBay and note that cars aren't selling at their current prices. Dealerships are also dropping prices on cars that are not moving in their showrooms. Do a little sleuthing and you will see this. I for one am not gonna travel across the US for the car. Doesn't mean I don't want one any less than anyone else.
2. I'll be a Type R owner when the time is right. Why don't you come talk to me when you are ready to admit you paid over MSRP for your car because you WANTED it sooner than later. It's not hard to do.
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2 Cents on ADM Untitled_zpstcynvhvl

Looks like ADM still wins.. even for used Rs

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
This is the only car that I am willing to pay ADM for. All of the cars I bought in the past I paid invoice. I don't want to make the same mistake I did in the past with the Acura Integra Type R. I waited and waited for the price drop. That day never came and the Type R went and never came back until now. That was in 2001. For some people ADM is worth it. It's true that a car is only a car. The owner is the one that gives it value. So if the owner feels like a car is worth 45k then in their mind it's worth that much to them. My limit was 45k and that's what I think it's worth to me. So that's the price I was willing to pay up to. Fortunately I got it for a little less so it's all good. Keep on treading fellas :drive:

OP
OP
xpimpindistressx

xpimpindistressx

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma Offroad
Country flag
This is the only car that I am willing to pay ADM for. All of the cars I bought in the past I paid invoice. I don't want to make the same mistake I did in the past with the Acura Integra Type R. I waited and waited for the price drop. That day never came and the Type R went and never came back until now. That was in 2001. For some people ADM is worth it. It's true that a car is only a car. The owner is the one that gives it value. So if the owner feels like a car is worth 45k then in their mind it's worth that much to them. My limit was 45k and that's what I think it's worth to me. So that's the price I was willing to pay up to. Fortunately I got it for a little less so it's all good. Keep on treading fellas :drive:

Good understanding! Congrats on your baby! My ADM limit was +5k

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
Even paying msrp is a "want" hah. Nobody "needs" a 35k car. Its alright the right time will come eventually..someday.. all i know is ive had too many friends whose lives have run short. We can go at anytime.. soak up the fun while you can gentleman.. 5-10k isnt going to ruin my life. I dont agree with mark ups.. but if i want it bad enough ill pay it.

PwrOfDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
At this point it does not matter how much a person pays for the car. It's their money and they can do what they see fit. The final conclusion is what matters most. It's either you have the car or you don't. Nobody can dictate what you "want" or what you "need". Only you can decide that. Besides berating a person. How about just be supportive of their new purchase.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
For me, I would be reluctant to pay a huge premium over the MSRP because you would never see that again if the car is totaled or stolen and never recovered. Or if you sell the car down the road when the demand for the car has cooled down, especially trading it in to a dealer. Just a thought.

But to each's own. You only live once - while $5-10K is nothing to sneeze at, if you can afford it, why not. This car compares favorably to $40K hot hatches. Some people shop at Whole Foods, smoke cigarettes, drink Starbucks, pound away cocktails, and so on, none of which are probably considered financially smart.

leehom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, back at it again
Country flag
I don't want to make the same mistake I did in the past with the Acura Integra Type R. I waited and waited for the price drop. That day never came and the Type R went and never came back until now.
Different scenarios, can't really compare them. Honda told us they were only producing 1,500 ITR's in 00/01. On the other hand, the CTR is going to have more production in the first year of sales vs four years of the ITR. If Honda is producing the rumored 6k+ per year, there will be plenty to go around.

PwrOfDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Well you gotta consider how many actual dealerships there are at that time. There are far more Honda dealerships then said Acura dealerships. Acura dealerships 250 to Hondas 1000 as of now. Of course Honda is going to have more units because there are more dealers. It's around the same rarity as the ITR if you do the units to dealer ratio.

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2 Cents on ADM IMG_0440.PNG

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
both the 2000 and 01 Type R's went for way under sticker. :shrug:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
For my contribution on the topic...

The physically closest dealer to me RIGHT NOW that has a black CTR in stock and ready to deliver has it marked up $3000. Up until Friday the 14th, they were asking for $15000 mark up.
As of yesterday the 24th, the car was still available but only for $3000 over. I'm starting to wonder if playing the game over the phone is the wrong tactic. Perhaps I should go there and make them refuse MSRP to my face!

One other point about the price you get by email and online - it is in the dealers best interest to OVERQUOTE you on the car ESPECIALLY if the car is still in transit. Why wouldn't they do this? I honestly can't blame them - they don't physically have a car to sell or pay for, so why not at least try to lock someone at an ADM price? And for the dealerships that have a car in stock but no buyer - why 'go low' over the phone? A phone call/email costs next to nothing and if you're not on the lot, you cost absolutely nothing, so why not at least try to get you to agree/lock in at a higher price? There's nothing to lose.

Now if you find a car in stock, I highly suggest going in there ready to pay your best price that day. It is much harder to turn away a buyer that's sitting at the table with you with an open checkbook.

Along the same lines - this situation pertains to me exactly. If you have an MSRP deposit and your dealer comes and says they want to change the terms...if you don't have anything in writing, you still have your deposit. A verbal agreement to pay ADM at their request doesn't mean you actually will. So, don't get your deposit back. Leave it in there. Wait for the car to show, roll in there, slap your cajones on the table and FORCE them to either sell you the car or give back your deposit. If they have the interest in the car, obviously they'll give you the deposit back. You might just get lucky and get them to realize that they're going to let a warm-blooded buyer walk out the door if they don't get reasonable. My exact situation (there are 3 because I have deposits with 3 dealerships...) is that I'm next in line, but somewhere in there they 'informed' me that there would be a $1995 markup on the car but NO forced accessories. 2+ people who were in line ahead of me bailed because they bought cars from other dealers at MSRP. So, when the time comes, best believe I'm negotiating that ADM to $0 or else I'd be the 3rd 'buyer' to walk out on them over under $2k. (I have promised to buy wheel/tire protection but no other packs).

Again, this is me, I have a good running car and time to wait it out.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
PS - just had ANOTHER dealer call me telling me their deal fell through, they're ready to sell CW today at $38,607 including wheel locks. Of course I passed but told them I'd come out this afternoon if they get to MSRP.

SpraykwoN

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec and looking for a Civic Type-R
Country flag
Like I said, dealers are getting desperate. Just wait it out.
Sponsored