Misfire.. feeling wobble at speeds

lroman15

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Hi guys, so I have the 18 si and it has 1500 miles... I have the wrinkle red Injen cold air, plm down and front pipes running ktuner with vits stage 1 tune..

I was looking the monitor on while plug to the ktuner and I noticed cylinder misfire in all 4.. the knock count was around 12 but it seems in the normal .49 to .58... I have 93 octagon fuel in the car... yesterday while I was driving I noticed the car kinda whobbling like if something was wrong with the tires.. could this be cause of the misfire?? I’m not sure why I’m getting a misfire at all! I don’t really know what’s going on with the car. Is not throwing a code and the engine idles fine over all it runs fine unless I’m In Highway speeds and feel that whooble that was not there early that day.

Honda Civic 10th gen Misfire.. feeling wobble at speeds 41B4ACC9-D5AC-44A7-8218-FE8EBDF59BDE
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Been on the Hondata +9 sport scramble map for a few thousand miles and the +6 map for a few thousand before that. Never experienced anything like you are describing.

Definitely email a datalog to Vit....
....or call Motec and ask if they can reach him for you?

OP
OP
lroman15

lroman15

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Been on the Hondata +9 sport scramble map for a few thousand miles and the +6 map for a few thousand before that. Never experienced anything like you are describing.

Definitely email a datalog to Vit....
....or call Motec and ask if they can reach him for you?
So crazy thing is I put the regular 19.5/23 map from ktuner and still same issue. Still misfiring Atleast 2 cylinders. Someone from his team spoke to me on the fb page told me to disregard the knock count that is irrelevant on the computer software more accurate on the v2 or something along those lines. But it’s not sitting well that even if the Knock is not accurate and it might be sending missed reading about the misfire why am I now feeling the wobble from the front like a misfire. Not crazy but definitely noticeable.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
So crazy thing is I put the regular 19.5/23 map from ktuner and still same issue. Still misfiring Atleast 2 cylinders. Someone from his team spoke to me on the fb page told me to disregard the knock count that is irrelevant on the computer software more accurate on the v2 or something along those lines. But it’s not sitting well that even if the Knock is not accurate and it might be sending missed reading about the misfire why am I now feeling the wobble from the front like a misfire. Not crazy but definitely noticeable.
Guessing it is a coil issue. But maybe check the plugs and the compression.

OP
OP
lroman15

lroman15

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Ok I will do that. Anything I should be looking for in particular?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They should all look about the same and have the same gap. I am not sure what the compression numbers should be but the cylinders should all have similar compression test numbers.

OP
OP
lroman15

lroman15

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
They should all look about the same and have the same gap. I am not sure what the compression numbers should be but the cylinders should all have similar compression test numbers.
Ok thank you. I will check them out tomorrow.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Remove the injen intake. And check spark plugs. I know there's been a few that have had issues with that intake.

OP
OP
lroman15

lroman15

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Remove the injen intake. And check spark plugs. I know there's been a few that have had issues with that intake.
Blahhhhh... I will do that, thank you!

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Blahhhhh... I will do that, thank you!
Np! Check your fuel trims after putting back the stock intake. Tho if the intake has already caused an issue with the plugs, you'll need new ones. But if you replace the plugs and go back to stock intake, and trims are good. Then try the injen one again and fuel trims are back outawack, we'll know it was the intake for sure xD.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
X2 on the injen intake

https://www.civicx.com/threads/ktuner-with-injen-intake-question.22495/#post-382966

Post 3 is Ktuner saying they've seen issues on datalogs.

It's one mod that seems to cause problems. There's a few other threads discussing problems caused by them. If your plugs have fouled from running rich or have run hot and lean (probably your case) and opened up the gaps, it can actually effect the ignition of each cylinder. If the gaps have widened enough... the ignition system may not be able to consistently make a spark and you have a resulting misfire.

Plugs are a relatively cheap and easy fix. I've done a lot of car work for family and have found, if they complain about a bad idle, hesitation when you get on throttle or reduced performance it's either ignition related and because the plugs are off or, if it's a car without hydraulic lifters (and most are hydraulic now-a-days) valve lash.

Good luck.

OP
OP
lroman15

lroman15

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Np! Check your fuel trims after putting back the stock intake. Tho if the intake has already caused an issue with the plugs, you'll need new ones. But if you replace the plugs and go back to stock intake, and trims are good. Then try the injen one again and fuel trims are back outawack, we'll know it was the intake for sure xD.
Thank you, Makes sense. I will do this process of elimination.

OP
OP
lroman15

lroman15

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
X2 on the injen intake

https://www.civicx.com/threads/ktuner-with-injen-intake-question.22495/#post-382966

Post 3 is Ktuner saying they've seen issues on datalogs.

It's one mod that seems to cause problems. There's a few other threads discussing problems caused by them. If your plugs have fouled from running rich or have run hot and lean (probably your case) and opened up the gaps, it can actually effect the ignition of each cylinder. If the gaps have widened enough... the ignition system may not be able to consistently make a spark and you have a resulting misfire.

Plugs are a relatively cheap and easy fix. I've done a lot of car work for family and have found, if they complain about a bad idle, hesitation when you get on throttle or reduced performance it's either ignition related and because the plugs are off or, if it's a car without hydraulic lifters (and most are hydraulic now-a-days) valve lash.

Good luck.

But the crazy part is the car hits target boost with no problem. Acceleration is firm and I can’t feel any misfire at all. The car idles fine. I’m just confused and it’s not throwing a light at all. On the highway it drives fine and yesterday it didn’t so the wobble feeling. Maybe I’m just being anal.

OP
OP
lroman15

lroman15

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
What should the fuel trim be at. Because I’m getting a constant 14.7 some times I see it as low as 14.3/14.5. This is with the injen installed as of yesterday. It’s raining here so I’m not going to be able to do much today.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What should the fuel trim be at. Because I’m getting a constant 14.7 some times I see it as low as 14.3/14.5. This is with the injen installed as of yesterday. It’s raining here so I’m not going to be able to do much today.
14.7 is afr and fuel trim should be close to 0 as possible for short and long
Sponsored