gee-dubR32

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GOLF R, 2019 AEGEAN BLUE CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
I'm pretty excited! a little worried about pot holes and those rims, pot holes always seem to find me.
I bought spare wheel and tire sets from folks selling theirs on this forum as insurance. I also got road hazard protection from Discount Tire. They cover your OEM tires. And, I did the spare tire kit retrofit. With small kids and road trips, there’s no way I’m waiting around for roadside assistance or fix a flat. Good luck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

mjonesjr8

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
Country flag
Hey Mjonesjr8, I’ve had three generations of Golf R models (R32, mk6 6mt and mk7 DSG). The 17 DSG replaced my mk6 that was flooded during hurricane Harvey. We still have the mk7 DSG. It is a super quick and super refined car, no doubt. And styling is conservative. But I knew civic type R was something special and had been keeping track of all the positive owner feedback and press. I saw one in person in a Target parking lot. Much more cool than pictures. It looked aggressive. The styling is purposeful punk rock. I had a chance to get one at sticker and I made the leap. Although the Golf R is a fantastic car, I’ve driven it maybe 3 to 4 times since I brought the civic home last November. I’ve been smiling and enjoying the CTR as my daily driver ever since. Added bonus— the cargo capacity is much better than the Golf— even with a toddler car seat and kids booster seat taking up the back seat. I’ve taken the Type R on road trips and it is an absolute thrill to drive— particularly on roads with high speed limits or lots of curves. My only nag relating to road trips is the smallish gas tank. Like OP, I hadn’t owned a Honda for many years. I had a CRX and Prelude in the past. More recently I’d been driving German cars and VW’s in particular. I have to say, the Honda CTR is really a thing to be experienced and admired. It’s the best, most enjoyable, visceral car I’ve owned. Good luck on your journey!
wow thanks for such a great review, I'm so excited now to get it tomorrow!

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I bought spare wheel and tire sets from folks selling theirs on this forum as insurance. I also got road hazard protection from Discount Tire. They cover your OEM tires. And, I did the spare tire kit retrofit. With small kids and road trips, there’s no way I’m waiting around for roadside assistance or fix a flat. Good luck.
Where did you find info about the spare retrofit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 VW Jetta TDI
Country flag
A little late to the thread, but I traded in my 2018 Audi S3 for the CTR. Growing up I was a big Honda guy, I've had a couple civic si's, rsx type s, and a s2000. I actually traded in the S2000 for a new 2008 GTI, and have pretty much been a VW person since. I owned a couple vw diesels, a few gti's, and most recently the S3.

For me, when I 20ish and had the rsx type s, I used to lust after the DC5 type r and always wanted one, knowing I could never have one. When Honda announced they'd be bringing CTR here, I was excited, but knew I'd have to wait awhile before I'd get one due to the dealer markups. Once I noticed more and more dealers were selling at msrp or close to it, I decided it was time to get one.

I have zero regrets about doing it, and for the same money I paid for the S3, I was able to get the CTR and a jetta diesel as a daily, so best of both worlds for me.

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
Any former Golf R owners ever track their VW and if so, what were your impressions, esp compared to Type R? I am thinking of trading my Honda Type R in on a Golf R. I love the CTR but bought it to use for track days, only to discover limp mode is often just a few hot laps away. So tracking it involves a cool down lap every 3-4 laps, which isn't exactly the goal of competing on the track, even when it's just for fun.

So I researched the Golf R and it looks like zero issues with over-heating or losing power due to inadequate charge cooling. So that is much better than the Type R. I like its DSG vs. standard stick as it is faster and more accurate. But less speed, less grip, more weight and seats that are not remotely as grippy (or as comfortable) as the Type R. I dont like the dash set up or track use as well either. The Nurburgring time for the Golf R is 8:16 or so, vs the near legendary 7:43 for the Type R.

So if I switch to the Golf R will I be able to go flat out, lap after lap, just more slowly than in the Type R? I am interested in the actual track experiences of any Golf R owners and their thoughts.

randmtsk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Type R || 2015 DGM STi - Sold || 2000 Silverstone s2000 - Sold
Country flag
Any former Golf R owners ever track their VW and if so, what were your impressions, esp compared to Type R? I am thinking of trading my Honda Type R in on a Golf R. I love the CTR but bought it to use for track days, only to discover limp mode is often just a few hot laps away. So tracking it involves a cool down lap every 3-4 laps, which isn't exactly the goal of competing on the track, even when it's just for fun.

So I researched the Golf R and it looks like zero issues with over-heating or losing power due to inadequate charge cooling. So that is much better than the Type R. I like its DSG vs. standard stick as it is faster and more accurate. But less speed, less grip, more weight and seats that are not remotely as grippy (or as comfortable) as the Type R. I dont like the dash set up or track use as well either. The Nurburgring time for the Golf R is 8:16 or so, vs the near legendary 7:43 for the Type R.

So if I switch to the Golf R will I be able to go flat out, lap after lap, just more slowly than in the Type R? I am interested in the actual track experiences of any Golf R owners and their thoughts.
GeezR do you have an upgraded FMIC, more open front grill, or turbo blanket?

I'm looking to take my Type R to the track in the future and hoping those mods would help.

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
Thx, Randmtsk. I have done nothing to dissipate engine bay heat beyond running the heater full blast. I have read, and reread, all the numerous posts on dealing with the heat soak issue and am not sure I want to start the process of re-engineering Honda's failure to address this issue. The $ adds up after a while. The steps you suggest are part of a much longer list of things folks do to address this design deficiency. Just not 100% sure I want to start down that road. But am considering it, along with starting over in a new vehicle. The Golf R is no match for the Type R in ultimate performance, IMHO. But it at least can be flogged lap after lap
Sponsored