Spare Tire for Type R

mpt2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Didn't order the spare kit yet myself but if I had to guess maybe raises it 5 inches?
Wow, maybe i should think twice, I almost ordered it but having trunk space is the very important to me and the only way I could justify the car to my wife

Rasy

First Name
Rasy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW #15337
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know this is bumping up an old thread, but I wanted to provide more photos and info of the OEM spare tire kit for archival purposes. Despite the added weight, this had to be a must-purchase since I have a toddler whom I didn’t want to wait on a tow with, nor depend on the fix-a-flat system.

I know there are some pics on the web already, but I wanted to share a more comprehensive look and a few of my thoughts. I ended up getting the entire kit for $230, out the door, for everything which was a good price. The downside was the Honda dealership did mess up the wheel in two small areas of the lip during mounting, but discounted it for me due to that. It’s a spare anyways, so the damage is negligible, and not like I’d see it daily.

Spare Tire Kit # 06421-TGH-A32ZA
Comes with all the tools, toolbag, labels, new raised cover, foam protector adhesives and wheel. Basically everything you need minus the tire.

Continental Spare Tire # 42751-CTL-031

Thoughts:

- Order through the Honda eStore, and cross-shop with your local dealers on who offers the lowest price. Prices do vary from dealer to dealer.

- Shipping is free through the eStore, so long as you have them ship to the dealer. Otherwise, you’ll definitely pay $$$ for shipping to your home if you order through a dealer or parts site.

- Make sure to call the dealer to confirm your order after it’s placed. Apparently the eStore and some dealers have little to no communication. My order ended up being canceled initially because of this.

- This kit will eat up a few inches of cargo space vertically, so the load height is raised. It’s basically similar to the Sport Hatchback since that has a spare. Though I do value space, I value piece of mind more in my case.

- The cargo mat accessory doesn’t sit nowhere near flush, as it’s designed for the original lower cargo tray. I’m debating if I want to sell the cargo protector mat and get a universal one that would better contour to the new shape.

- In the comparison tool bags photos (stock is top, spare tire kit is bottom), the connecting rod for the jack is glossy back, where as the stock one is semi-matte. Also the straps for the bag in the kit is grey vs yellow on stock. Super small details.

- You have the option to spread out the tools in the foam insert, or kept them in a bag on the driver-side compartment. I chose the latter so I have less “risk” of something flying in the car in a freak accident. The foam insert also takes slight force to put it into the wheel, but it’s a snug fit.

- The front-most part of the cargo cover now dips down instead of goes up. This causes the most awkward fitment issues.

Hope the pics and info helps those considering it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0004.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0005.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0006.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0007.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0008.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0009.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0011.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0012.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0013.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0014.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0015.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0016.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0017.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0019.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0020.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0021.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0023.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0024.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0025.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0026.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0027.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0028.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0029.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0030.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0031.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_0033.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_7010.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R IMG_9764.JPG

Rasy

First Name
Rasy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW #15337
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To add to your archival impulse, one last picture:

Yes. it does fit over the front brakes. I'd probably swap a rear to the front and put the spare on the rear anyway.

IMG_20180826_104010979.jpg
Thanks for confirming it too. There are still owners who think these don't fit over the front, and this is how misinformation can get spread.

ChrisB

PRL & Hondata Top Fan
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thank you for the thorough post and details Rasy! Definitely puts all the necessary information in one place. I used your post to buy my spare kit of the estore. Has anyone tried the Civic Sport cargo tray? I’m thinking about buying the weathertech one because it’ll drive me nuts the way it sits right now, lol.

jsyar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, BMW 328xi, BMW X3
Country flag
Ill second the thank you for the information. I ordered the spare tire kit from my dealer today. Interestingly enough, they couldn't order the tire so I had to order it from Tire Rack. I'm having it sent to the dealer for installation.

This should really be a sticky message.

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
I know this is bumping up an old thread, but I wanted to provide more photos and info of the OEM spare tire kit for archival purposes. Despite the added weight, this had to be a must-purchase since I have a toddler whom I didn’t want to wait on a tow with, nor depend on the fix-a-flat system.

I know there are some pics on the web already, but I wanted to share a more comprehensive look and a few of my thoughts. I ended up getting the entire kit for $230, out the door, for everything which was a good price. The downside was the Honda dealership did mess up the wheel in two small areas of the lip during mounting, but discounted it for me due to that. It’s a spare anyways, so the damage is negligible, and not like I’d see it daily.

Spare Tire Kit # 06421-TGH-A32ZA
Comes with all the tools, toolbag, labels, new raised cover, foam protector adhesives and wheel. Basically everything you need minus the tire.

Continental Spare Tire # 42751-CTL-031

Thoughts:

- Order through the Honda eStore, and cross-shop with your local dealers on who offers the lowest price. Prices do vary from dealer to dealer.

- Shipping is free through the eStore, so long as you have them ship to the dealer. Otherwise, you’ll definitely pay $$$ for shipping to your home if you order through a dealer or parts site.

- Make sure to call the dealer to confirm your order after it’s placed. Apparently the eStore and some dealers have little to no communication. My order ended up being canceled initially because of this.

- This kit will eat up a few inches of cargo space vertically, so the load height is raised. It’s basically similar to the Sport Hatchback since that has a spare. Though I do value space, I value piece of mind more in my case.

- The cargo mat accessory doesn’t sit nowhere near flush, as it’s designed for the original lower cargo tray. I’m debating if I want to sell the cargo protector mat and get a universal one that would better contour to the new shape.

- In the comparison tool bags photos (stock is top, spare tire kit is bottom), the connecting rod for the jack is glossy back, where as the stock one is semi-matte. Also the straps for the bag in the kit is grey vs yellow on stock. Super small details.

- You have the option to spread out the tools in the foam insert, or kept them in a bag on the driver-side compartment. I chose the latter so I have less “risk” of something flying in the car in a freak accident. The foam insert also takes slight force to put it into the wheel, but it’s a snug fit.

- The front-most part of the cargo cover now dips down instead of goes up. This causes the most awkward fitment issues.

Hope the pics and info helps those considering it.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_7010.JPG

IMG_9764.JPG
I like the idea but it is still a 45 MPH tire. You still have to get it replaced quickly. So if it only works in town you might as well get towed. If you drive freeways away from home you need to carry a real spare. Where do you get a stock tire 100 miles away from a Honda dealer. Which gas station has these tires in stock. When I travel in AZ I carry a spare wheel and tire.

ebw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Acura RDX, 14 BMW 650i, 09 Aston Martin V8V, 73 Ford Maverick, 47 handbuilt racer
Country flag
I like the idea but it is still a 45 MPH tire. You still have to get it replaced quickly. So if it only works in town you might as well get towed. If you drive freeways away from home you need to carry a real spare. Where do you get a stock tire 100 miles away from a Honda dealer. Which gas station has these tires in stock. When I travel in AZ I carry a spare wheel and tire.
Can you share the details of your spare wheel and tire setup? I am probably going to go this route although considering all-season run flats on 18" rims for winter.

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
Can you share the details of your spare wheel and tire setup? I am probably going to go this route although considering all-season run flats on 18" rims for winter.
I have a spare Honda tire and wheel that I purchased on line. If you have after market tires and wheels buy a fifth one.

Hal

Reactions: ebw

ebw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Acura RDX, 14 BMW 650i, 09 Aston Martin V8V, 73 Ford Maverick, 47 handbuilt racer
Country flag
I have a spare Honda tire and wheel that I purchased on line. If you have after market tires and wheels buy a fifth one.

Hal
Have certainly thought about that. How have you secured it in the trunk? I'm already a bit concerned about driving a 'smaller' car on public roads, which around here are filled with Yukon drivers updating their instagram accounts as they careen through intersections. It would be preferable to avoid tire irons and jacks flying forward from the hatch in a collision as well.

Rasy

First Name
Rasy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW #15337
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While that remains true about the spare's speed limit, I travel regularly in-town, and sometimes with my toddler. I can't speak for everyone, but in an event I have to wait say two hours for a tow truck vs maybe 15 minutes changing out a spare with my kid, I'd take the time saver. I personally don't sit on repairs, either. Any super long distance driving, I tend to rent vehicles anyways.

A full-size spare has its appeal, but in my line of work, I do value the cargo space where I can get it, plus the idea of a physically bigger object only held by say straps with my kid in the car does make me anxious.

I'm in a major metropolis which is only a couple of hours away from a major Honda parts distributor, so I'm personally not worried about not having a full-size spare. My real main concern honestly is replacing these 20s with 18s next, so it'd be much easier to swap tires in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, carrying a full-size spare does have its merits, it's just in my situation a temporary spare fits my needs better.

jimmer

First Name
Jimmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
So I just got this kit and I'm having an issue removing the original cargo floor, it seem that there are two hooks that are mounted on top of the cover. Anyone know how to remove them? I assume they just snap off but I don't want to break anything
Sponsored