First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Can the LSD in the Si be turned off?

I read different opinions on the behaviours of LSD in snow driving.
Sponsored

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
No it can't. but I never had a problem with it in snow neither did my wife in our SI 2013.
It actually really help to jump out of deep and light snow

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
  • The SI's limited slip differential is of the mechanical Helical type, so it is always active... You mostly have to be careful about not overpowering it while turning when the coefficient of friction between tires and road is lower, as you will break traction on both front wheels simultaneously.

Helical:
  • Will lock and apply equal rotational speed to both wheels
  • Will distribute torque to both wheels, however not 50/50 – depending on type of ratios
  • Locking on throttle but requires both wheels to be on the ground
  • Helical LSDs uses gears and not clutch packs, hence do not require servicing or anything to be replaced. Maintenance would be similar to an open differential
  • Often helical differentials react much quicker than viscous LSDs and do not fade with use as they use gears
  • Great overall type of LSD but very limited aftermarket choices
Advantages of a LSD
  • Controlled launches, as both wheels are spinning the same rate, reducing the chances of excessive torque steer (FWD) on power
  • No single spinning wheel as torque is equally distributed, thus same rotational speed is applied
  • Power output around corners more predictable, instead of having one wheel turning excessively quick. The car will however appear to be very hard to control to the inexperienced driver as it will understeer (FWD) easily when traction is lost across both wheels
Disadvantages of a LSD
  • Increased tyre wear
  • Lose ability to turn a tight corner on throttle without wheel hop or chattering as one wheel will naturally cover a greater circumference than the other
http://www.trak-life.com/basic-intr...us-mechanical-limited-slip-differentials-lsd/

Last edited:

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Could you share what you've read?

A LSD is almost always preferred in any sort of driving where your ultimate goal is to maintain traction, whether that's snow, at the racetrack, autocross etc.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's what I thought, I'm baffled at how someone would not want increased traction in snow, unless they're TRYING to slide around :)

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I did read up on this before I posted. They mostly talked about LSD for RWD cars.

BTW. Any other traction control feature in the SI?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Well, now you've nailed it.
It's not the LSD that's a "problem" in snow (or any other low-traction condition), it's the VSA.
It can be turned off (as per page 472 of the on-line Owner's Manual)

Dwljazzman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
I did read up on this before I posted. They mostly talked about LSD for RWD cars.

BTW. Any other traction control feature in the SI?
The civic si has the VSA button you can turn on and off also sport mode/ normal to adjust damper stiffness.
Sponsored