Key Fob Follies

NoRebound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
After four years with my '19 Civic SI Sedan, I'm starting into the wear-and-tear phase of ownership. Tires, brakes, the usual stuff.

What I wasn't prepared for was my new battle with key fobs. Both of the ones in use right now are original with the car and both are giving me fits.

Within the last two weeks, both have malfunctioned. One set off a low battery warning in the car so I replaced the battery in both. The fob that we keep around the house as a spare went stone dead no matter how many times I changed the battery. The dealer had no luck with it either and is trying to replace it under the extended warranty.

Now the unit that I use daily is giving me the low battery warning again. Is this just a random bad Duracell or is this fob about to expire as well?

Anyone else seeing this issue?
Sponsored

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Interesting problem. I have changed batteries on my 2019 Si also, but no problems since. However, my wife's 2016 HR-V has issues with one of the key fobs, more specifically, mine. We have changed the battery several times also and it still shows the battery is low, but it continues to work just fine. One more thing to note while my memory is slow to come back. Her HR-V was having trouble recognizing the keys a while ago and the dealer replaced the push button for the starter. It has the circuit to identify the fobs and responsible for connectivity with the fob. Consider this in your research.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i had an issue with my key fob that was left in my drawer for 2 years, it just needed some combination of putting it in the center console where the low battery area is, but it started working again after that, i didn't have to replace the battery on it. i believe i changed my primary battery one time maybe 6 months ago - Bought January 2020 36K miles

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My only advice is not to buy any battery coin cell or otherwise from Amazon. Wife bought name brand batteries that I swear looked legit but wouldn't last even half a day. They were fakes.... Might try taking the remotes apart to see if any dirt or sweat or salt got in them. While it is possible I doubt the receiver antenna in the car is loose or had come unplugged?

OP
OP

NoRebound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
My only advice is not to buy any battery coin cell or otherwise from Amazon. Wife bought name brand batteries that I swear looked legit but wouldn't last even half a day. They were fakes.... Might try taking the remotes apart to see if any dirt or sweat or salt got in them. While it is possible I doubt the receiver antenna in the car is loose or had come unplugged?
The dealer actually thought the antenna issue was in play and did a full diagnostic when I had the car in for its annual state inspection. They couldn't get the spare fob to work at all even after changing the battery yet again, so they ordered a new fob and are running the paperwork to get the Honda extended warranty to cover it. I was amazed to find out that key fobs are not something that are normally kept in stock.
Sponsored