randomisjustfine

First Name
Tadas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So I got the key fob low battery warning on my 17’ si. I tossed the keys in the drawer and grabbed another set of keys that I had sitting for 2.5 years and... warning came back again after two weeks of using a key fob that haven’t been used before. Next step I replaced the battery in it and I still have the warning on my dash. Do I need to clear the message manually?

What am I missing here? Is my engine going to blow up cause of it? Do I need new clutch? Am I going to find 2 quarts of gas in my oil? I am tuned am I f***ed? Is my CAI going to... sorry I couldn’t resist.

Any ideas on the warning message? Thank you in advance ;)
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Call the dealer if you replaced both batteries and the message still appears.

Or test the batteries with a meter to make sure they have correct output. The fact that both of them are doing it is odd. I recently had to replace the one on my keys, but the second is hanging on a hook in my kitchen and seems to be ok as I occasionally use it.

Ziaro7

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I got the same message for my main fob two days ago too and did the same thing,
Thought for sure these fancy fobs would be using some special dealer only battery instead of some 8 for $1 battery in the closeout section.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I got the same message for my main fob two days ago too and did the same thing,
Thought for sure these fancy fobs would be using some special dealer only battery instead of some 8 for $1 battery in the closeout section.
That’s a lot of money saved if they use cheap battery brand. I bought a pack of 2 energizers at walmart and it was over 5$

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
Please don't go to the dealer. All you have to do is pay $5 for a battery at a target or something and open up the key. It's easily removable and can be easily replaced. You're literally getting scammed by the dealership for 5 minutes of work. It's like $60 for a fucking battery change.

Monocacy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Please don't go to the dealer. All you have to do is pay $5 for a battery at a target or something and open up the key. It's easily removable and can be easily replaced. You're literally getting scammed by the dealership for 5 minutes of work. It's like $60 for a fucking battery change.
My local dealer charges $4.99 for a battery change. Easy peasy, right on the way home from work.

I could probably save a buck or two if I ordered the batteries online, but sometimes it is nice to be lazy lol.

OP
OP

randomisjustfine

First Name
Tadas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Call the dealer if you replaced both batteries and the message still appears.

Or test the batteries with a meter to make sure they have correct output. The fact that both of them are doing it is odd. I recently had to replace the one on my keys, but the second is hanging on a hook in my kitchen and seems to be ok as I occasionally use it.
I’m with you on this one, very odd that both of them does it. I am still due to replace the battery in my 2nd set of keys. I will replace both of them with brand new battery’s and then I guess off to a dealership. I did everything I could for 2.5 years to avoid going to a dealership...

What battery typo did you use? Should be a CR2032.
CR 2032 It was. I’m not sure how healthy it is, since I can’t even remember when I bought it. So maybe I replaced dying battery with a dying battery...

OP
OP

randomisjustfine

First Name
Tadas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Both original batteries were shot. “New” battery was also shot. I got 2 batteries from a store earlier today and it is all good now.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
How long do I have before I need to replace the battery once I receive this message? I have some coming in 2 days but I want to know if I'll need them earlier than that.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
How long do I have before I need to replace the battery once I receive this message? I have some coming in 2 days but I want to know if I'll need them earlier than that.
That’s a hard to answer question. Depends on your usage to be frank. Just go buy the cell battery before hand

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
The battery in Honda Smart keys is a CR2032. Buy them in a two pack!
Once a battery is inside the key fob, it is "on" and running, even if it's sitting in a drawer.
The average life span is 2-2.5 years of "on" time.......even if the buttons are never pressed. It is actually "on". It is transmitting/receiving.
You have weeks to replace the battery from the time you get the dashboard warning.
The warning light comes on when the car senses either of the fob's batteries as "low".
So if you replace one key fob's battery and the other key fob's battery is low/dead and in range, it will turn the dash warning light on.
Replace the batteries in both key fobs if you want the warning light on your dashboard to go out. They will die at almost the same time.
Once it senses the battery is above the low threshold it turns the warning light out automatically. Should be almost immediately.
You will never be stuck or stranded by this battery. You can start your car without the battery!
You just turn the key fob over to the back, slide the little latch over to the side, and remove the metal key from the fob.
You use the metal key in the driver's door to open the door.
Once inside the car, you use the fob part to start the car by literally using the fob to press the "START/STOP" button in.
There is a sensor in the "Start/Stop" button that will read the fob when they are very close/touching each other.

This information is in the owner's manual.
someone should sticky this.
Sponsored

Last edited: