jackpott22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si - Rallye Red - FC3 - Phearable ETune
Country flag
Hello everyone! I currently drive a 2020 Civic Si, Fbo aside from a downpipe and have ran into an issue that i surely caused. I will give as much info as i can remember, but truly it all went so fast and i am glad i was able to get home safe in the end.
To make a long story as short as possible, i was on the way home from getting gas(Mobil 1), about 4miles away from home. And as i begin to enter the off ramp at about 50mph to get off the highway, i downshift. Blip the throttle, 6 to 5, but could not get into 5 because i felt a lockout. As i panick while slowing down getting off the highway into a busy merge, i try to just go back into 6th but notice my rpms are at 850 because i was holding the clutch down the entire time while trying to go from 5-6. I try to raise my rpms to get into 6, but no shot, it grinds for a second, i panick and clutch down again, and slow down while trying to get into 6 again whilst slowing down(dumb idea), While doing this i somehow managed to get into the reverse gate, not reverse gear.

Joyful! I think, while i’m on the side of the highway. It will not let me out into neutral at that point. Turn car off, on, etc, it will not come out of that space between Neutral and Reverse. At this point i realized well did i just blow the trans? So i try to go into reverse, no noise, nothing, and well she backs up! And now i’m thinking okay, so let me out into Neutral please!! In the end my friend came to the rescue and we left the shifter in that in between point, turned ebrake off, and rolled the car a foot and boom it’s back into neutral. Drove the car home 4 miles, got into 1st-4th with no noticeable difference before the whole incident. But the issue now is that i cannot get into the reverse gear, i enter the gate but cannot enter the gear itself. It feels like a plasticy resistance of some sort and very much isolated in that space between neutral and reverse.

I work at an independent auto shop and will be bringing it there later to have it looked at before i even think to get a diagnosis from a dealer. (i’ve had truly truly awful experiences with Honda dealer service centers near me and it’s my last step in this process of repairing the car)

Thank you in advance for any bits of advice or general questions that could better help me get this fixed and ease my mind a tad. - Matt
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I have never experience any lockouts in any gear so far. However, I did had two times where I went into reverse gear, then couldn't get it into neutral, stuck in between the lockout and reverse gate like you, but I was still able to shift into reverse both times.

I think both times happened in the same spot where I had to reverse into a slight uphill. The first time, I was able to free it by turning the engine off and on obviously with the clutch pressed. The second time, it freed up when I shift back into reverse and backed up slightly.

I think one of those times I shift into reverse, but didn't release the clutch and changed my mine and wanted to shift into 1st to go forward instead. So what probably happened that time was when I was in reverse with clutch pressed, I released the brake so the car rolled forward slightly and that might have activated the reverse lockout? Then I press the brake to completely stop the car and shift into reverse and moved backward slightly and that freed the lockout? Not sure.

But this probably won't help you, but wouldn't hurt.
Honda Civic 10th gen Issue With Reverse Gear After Driver Error 1597935719329

OP
OP
jackpott22

jackpott22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have never experience any lockouts in any gear so far. However, I did had two times where I went into reverse gear, then couldn't get it into neutral, stuck in between the lockout and reverse gate like you, but I was still able to shift into reverse both times.

I think both times happened in the same spot where I had to reverse into a slight uphill. The first time, I was able to free it by turning the engine off and on obviously with the clutch pressed. The second time, it freed up when I shift back into reverse and backed up slightly.

I think one of those times I shift into reverse, but didn't release the clutch and changed my mine and wanted to shift into 1st to go forward instead. So what probably happened that time was when I was in reverse with clutch pressed, I released the brake so the car rolled forward slightly and that might have activated the reverse lockout? Then I press the brake to completely stop the car and shift into reverse and moved backward slightly and that freed the lockout? Not sure.

But this probably won't help you, but wouldn't hurt.
1597935719329.png
Yes i actually did try this but to no avail. When i am in position 3 in this diagram and try to shift downward into reverse, it feels as if some sort of hard plastic wall is not letting me into the gear. It’s stiff and springy. As well, in position 2, it feels like a slight gate notch going to the right. I am not exactly sure how else to fix it on my end. Thanks for reply.

OP
OP
jackpott22

jackpott22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
UPDATE: Car was dropped off for service at dealer. They removed and took apart the transmission and found the reverse shift holder was bent by a few mm. Not the first car this happened to, and it is a $22 part. Car is being fixed and will return back to me a few days. Things happen! Glad the car and i were safe in the end. ??

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
UPDATE: Car was dropped off for service at dealer. They removed and took apart the transmission and found the reverse shift holder was bent by a few mm. Not the first car this happened to, and it is a $22 part. Car is being fixed and will return back to me a few days. Things happen! Glad the car and i were safe in the end. ??
What's the labor rate for $22 part?

OP
OP
jackpott22

jackpott22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's the labor rate for $22 part?
If it were to be done out of warranty say at the independent shop i worked at, about 12.2 hours of labor. $1400+ repair bill for sure. This repair was done under warranty if that clears up any confusion.

Kyle Moss

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-r
Country flag
Good day mate

Do you have a picture of thr part or thr part number ?
Sponsored