Isn’t always Black and White!

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I would buy a genesis or top of the line accord because those cars are actually worth the money.
Value is subjective and bound to perspective so nope.

Not to mention you can buy a regular hatch and with and extra $3000 you make it look and run like a type r. So really not worth the money now.
Nope...can't do it. You can make a hatch faster than a stock hatch with 3k but you wouldn't be close to type r performance. I don't even think you could make a hatch look like an r for 3k with paint and all. Certainly can't do both for 3k though.
Sponsored

Last edited:

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Guys, he's posting about his dislike of the Type R in a Type R forum in a thread about Type R color choice. Need I say more?

Let's just ignore him.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I couldn’t care less. I wouldn’t buy an r if I had the money. I would buy a genesis or top of the line accord because those cars are actually worth the money. Not to mention you can buy a regular hatch and with and extra $3000 you make it look and run like a type r. So really not worth the money now.
Do you know how we know you’re poor? :rofl:

I always love when these retarded debates come up. “Why would anyone spend 300k on a Lamborghini, when they can buy ______, spend 10k on it and have the “same” performance?!” Your argument is exactly the same.

If that’s your thought, you don’t know the first thing about owning a top of the line trim of any car. They are never value propositions. They aren’t intended to be. And after driving a loaded Civic Touring sedan with 6MT, followed by the CTR right after, I can tell you straight up, your $3000 savings would never get a non-CTR anywhere in the same realm as an actual CTR. Unless you’re just looking for straight line acceleration... which is not what the CTR is even for.

I was hell bent on being wise with money, and was dead set on going for the much cheaper Civic Touring with 6MT. Until I drove both. And left with the biggest shit eating grin spread across my face, knowing I’d soon be the owner of a CTR. Simply put, the Touring had *nothing* on the Type R.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
One thing NoHonor is also missing in his equation- residual value.

The residual value of the Civic Touring (or most other cars) will be way less when compared to a CTRs residual value.

I thoroughly reviewed the used market before considering. A used 2018 Civic Touring was going for 25k with about 6k miles on the clock. Used 2017 CTRs with equal mileage were still at, or above MSRP. The Touring lost like 6-7k in one year, where a used CTR seemingly lost nothing.

So while NoHonor saved a whopping 3k on his initial purchase, because of the rarity of the CTR and the overabundance of any other Civic, he’s going to ultimately lose way more in the long run. While the CTR is pricey... if and when someone decides to sell, they’ll walk away with a lot more money back in their pocket.

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
I couldn’t care less. I wouldn’t buy an r if I had the money. I would buy a genesis or top of the line accord because those cars are actually worth the money. Not to mention you can buy a regular hatch and with and extra $3000 you make it look and run like a type r. So really not worth the money now.
a genesis? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
If they had a lunar silver I would probably get one. Lol it keeps itself clean.
By the way sir, you contradict yourself.

JDMDownload

4.FK7s.Sake
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
White all day! I'm tired of black after my S2000 and WRX STi so maybe that skews my opinion. I also feel like the black hides some of the lines which I find cool but I realize some others like that aspect.
Plus living in Florida, I regert all black everything, its hot as balls here, and I'm NE Florida. Any further south and you're probably dying every time you enter the car.

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Value is subjective and bound to perspective so nope.

Nope...can't do it. You can make a hatch faster than a stock hatch with 3k but you wouldn't be close to type r performance. I don't even think you could make a hatch look like an r for 3k with paint and all. Certainly can't do both for 3k though.
Well it quite easy to get 300
By the way sir, you contradict yourself.
that was before my buddy bought an genesis. It’s so nice.

OP
OP
Superfly

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag

To each their own. Love the CTR and it’s hard for me to imagine owning a genesis in place of it. I also own an Si Coupe and Si sedan, both of which are tuned. 3K would be short to get it to the same performance level of the CTR imho.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I still go back and forth on my color choice. On the one hand, I hate how the black paint partially hides the lines of the CTR. You also lose the contrast between your paint color and the black trim pieces (side vents, front grill, center spoiler, etc.) On the other hand, nothing looks more amazing than a freshly clean black car (particularly with a ceramic coating). I still find myself staring at the car shining in the sun after a quick wash. You can also regain some of this contrast by swapping out the black trim pieces for twill pattern carbon fiber. This is super expensive, but I plan on doing it little by little.

The all black look also lends the car a little more stealth than other CTR colors - a CW CTR can be spotted from a mile away, but at a super quick glance, you may miss that that black car with the big wing parked innocuously in the back of the grocery store parking lot isn't your run of the mill Civic hatchback. Hopefully this will make my R less likely to be messed with.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

You will not get to 300 on the 1.5T for $3K:

The following combo is probably the cheapest way to hit the same peak HP values as a stock Type R. If you do 100% of the labor yourself, this combo will cost you a little over $4000. If you need to pay someone to do these installs for you, your cost goes up dramatically (particularly for the turbo and clutch):

- 27Won Turbo
- Front and Downpipe
- Clutch (and flywheel, if you want to do this right)
- Any decent intake (27Won or PRL)
- KTuner
- Custom Tune

Derek has previous indicated that this combo will get you to between 280 and 290 peak whp. You will still NOT have the same power as a CTR though, since real power is all about area under the curve. This 27Won Turbo upgrade shifts power to the right, which will cost you in low end grunt. At the same time, all the CTR would need to do would be to add an additional $500 KTuner and just like that, it's pushing 350 whp.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
You'll also have torque steer, won't you? I thought only the CTR had the fancy fanjangled suspension design to eliminate wheel spin. Or .I wrong on that?

Add to that the CTR brakes are absolutely perfect, the LSD, the functional aero, the additionally reinforced chassis over a normal Civic, the adjustable suspension... The list goes on.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Shit, sorry for the total thread derail. Back on topic. :D

The black looks sinister, but yeah, a pain to maintain. If you're not a lazy owner, go black. Otherwise if you can't commit the maintenance and upkeep time, go white.

Personally I went CW, but if PPM or SG was available in Canada at the time, I'd have gone with one of them.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You'll also have torque steer, won't you? I thought only the CTR had the fancy fanjangled suspension design to eliminate wheel spin. Or .I wrong on that?

Add to that the CTR brakes are absolutely perfect, the LSD, the functional aero, the additionally reinforced chassis over a normal Civic, the adjustable suspension... The list goes on.
The limited slip on an SI helps a lot with torque steer, but yes, the special front suspension on the R is also important. Since he has a regular Hatchback, he has neither helping him, so torque steer will be a major issue.

Vteclover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 civic si
Country flag
Nohonor is just jealous of those who own a type r, where he can't get one or got no money to buy one, he probably never it drive a type r before, so really he has no clue what he is talking about, type r is completely different setup up then regular hatch or touring hatch, if he do the research. No matter how much work you dumping in to the touring hatch it still not a type r, you don't get the type r production number
Sponsored