Is this the end of the road for my tire? (Pun intended)

marheyoh's si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Today I decided to take advantage of the last warm days before the long New England winter and to the beach. Along the way I got a notification saying my tire pressure was low. With the temperature fluctuating quite a bit here recently I figured I was probably down a few PSI.

After spending the day at the beach, I checked my tire pressure before heading home and realized it was at 25psi. I didn't want to look for free air so I grabbed the little compressor thing (for the very first time, this is important) that the SIs come with and started to fill the tire. For the unaware, there is an "Air" setting and a "Repair" setting. I know the SIs come with a "fix-a-flat" kit and in my head I expected those plugs you shove into the hole with the T-handles. Didn't think twice that the compressor could be the "fix-a-flat" kit. After filling with the "Air" setting for a bit, I checked the pressure and it was up to 30psi. I'm very impatient so I thought to myself "What if I use the 'Repair' setting? It's probably for people whose tires are completely flat and it pushes air in faster so they don't wait around as long." I switched the "Repair" setting and switched the compressor back on for 5, MAYBE 10 seconds. Upon removing the hose, I discovered that I had just sprayed the inside of my tire with whatever sealant Honda uses in those things. That's right, I sprayed "fix-a-flat" sealant inside a perfectly good tire.

My question to you guys is, how fucked am I? I drove all the way back home. Is the tire totally worthless now? Can I just leave it as is? I'm taking it to the dealership so they can mount my winter wheels/tires (I live in an apartment at the moment and can't do it myself like I used to) should I have them look at it/fix it or something? Do I need a new tire(s)? Any and all answers or jokes at my expense are welcome.
Sponsored

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Not sure their sealant is made of but it should be fine, and shouldn't have done any damage to tire other than may need additional balance weights when you switch back. My uncle owns a tire shop, and I've seen that stuff all before. If anything, may want to ask if you can clean that rim when they are swapping over tires.

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
Your tire should be fine, but make sure to get a new fix-a-flat kit from Honda. Also, if you need to have that tire removed from the rim, make sure to tell the tire tech that it has the sealant in it. The propellant may still be compressed and may be explosively volatile.