Is there a wheel cleaner that actually works?

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I keep buying these shit "no touch wheel cleaners" that the Type-R brake dust just laughs at. I am looking for something that you can spray on, let sit a minute, and jet off and actually have it take the brake dust and grime off. I keep gassing 10-12 rags every time I clean my wheels so I am wondering if there is a product out there that can do this without eating through the wheels lol
Sponsored

vandalSI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Country flag
Have you tried agitation with a wheel brush? The spray on stuff seems to work fine when i gently scrub after spraying it on.

OP
OP
slowride

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Have you tried agitation with a wheel brush? The spray on stuff seems to work fine when i gently scrub after spraying it on.
I have not...is there any worry on the wheel finish on the OEM wheels? I haven't used a brush in ages...I am a poor husband to my cars over the past decade or so I guess.

vandalSI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Country flag
i just use a soft nylon wheel brush like from the parts store. Been using the meguires spray wheel/tire cleaner. Spray on one wheel at a time. Gently brush! And rinse. Wheels come out looking great. Tires are clean. No dust.

vandalSI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Country flag
Just make sure the cleaner you use is ok for painted wheels. Some are not.

Coldpizza

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Brake dust from the stock pads is tough. If you’re looking to get as close to a “spray and rinse” solution as possible, I haven’t found anything that will get you there without applying a wheel coating.

I applied Gyeon Q2 Rim to my wheels and use AutoFanatic Wheel Cleaning Foam and pressure wash for routine maintenance and I get pretty close if I haven’t let the dust accumulate too badly. No issues with the cleaner affecting my wheel finishes (stock and NSX).

Most of the time, agitation is still required.

Last edited:

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (Sold), 2019 Clarity, 2020 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Look into wheel whoolies. It'll reach into the barrels. I also bought the wheel brush to clean the wheel lugs and brake calipers. I use soap and water to clean. I used to buy the dedicated wheel cleaners but started to get expensive for me. That's just me though. The link shows both products.
https://www.autogeek.net/wheel-woolies-detailing-tools.html

Patriots1959

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Look into wheel whoolies. It'll reach into the barrels. I also bought the wheel brush to clean the wheel lugs and brake calipers. I use soap and water to clean. I used to buy the dedicated wheel cleaners but started to get expensive for me. That's just me though. The link shows both products.
https://www.autogeek.net/wheel-woolies-detailing-tools.html
Wheel woolies are the best. This is a good cheaper alternative brush
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VRJRKK

Always wear eye/mouth/nose protection. I like the safer Meguir's non-acid wheel cleaner soap
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FADI37E

I also agree with jerryvvv. There is no do-it-all wheel cleaner spray I'm aware of. The items above help but nothing cleans front wheel break dust without hard work and a good scrubbing brush.

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (Sold), 2019 Clarity, 2020 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wheel woolies are the best. This is a good cheaper alternative brush
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VRJRKK

Always wear eye/mouth/nose protection. I like the safer Meguir's non-acid wheel cleaner soap
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FADI37E

I also agree with jerryvvv. There is no do-it-all wheel cleaner spray I'm aware of. The items above help but nothing cleans front wheel break dust without hard work and a good scrubbing brush.
I have that brush (similar) from wheel masters. It came with the detail chair that I ordered. I liked it but I’ve been eyeing wheel woolies for a long time and decided to pull the trigger when I had the funds. Lol.
I’ve been e Megs guy for a long time and have used the All Wheel cleaner. I use Gold Class to wash my wheels and tires just to be safe. Especially with the Brembo calipers. On my FK7, all wheel cleaner made my bare metal caliper have a little discolor to it. That’s when I decided just to wash with car soap and water.
Thanks for the tip on the brush.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
OP couldn't agree more, These wheels will be the death of me. The brake dust is savage and clings to the wheels. All of these you tube vids with dudes spraying on a cleaner, leaving to dwell then power washing off just does not work with ours. As others have said needs agitation, then getting your fingers with a cloth literally in the corners to get rid of the crud.

Then I polish, add wheel wax and guess what they are funked in minutes after the first drive and the cycle starts again. All of these sprays that repel brake dust are complete BS. Cermaic coating of course helps but still these bad boys need weekly washes, but that might also be my OCD...!!

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
Meant to say megs waterless wheel and tyre spray is great stuff to keep them cleaner in between washes. It's in my boot along with tyreshine, and megs waterless wash and wax and megs cermaic detailer....drivers her insane when the mobile detailing bag comes out :p