Hood Issue?

jwatson201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hello everyone!

I have a Cosmic Blue 2016 Civic Touring. It is brand new and has about 200 miles on it now. While parked at work this week I noticed out the window what appeared to be a dent in the middle of the hood. When I left work there were two huge depressions or dents in the hood. These are about 1/3 of the way up the hood from the front and look as though someone has bounced a basketball on the hood. Of course I was not happy and couldn't understand how I missed this and began to question what could have damaged it. Once I got home and examined I realized the issue. When I pull the hood release and allow the hood to pop up to the first catch, the depressions or dents are gone. Once I close the hood they come back! Obviously this is some form of alignment issue with the closure mechanism (i.e. closing too tightly?). I have tried the two adjustable stops on the left and right fenders. However, I cannot seem to adjust this out of it. I haven't been able to go back to the dealership to see if others are this way and our cars are so new that I certainly haven't seen any on the road yet. So, all this being said, does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone have advice on the fix?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

jwatson201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So far 94 views and no replies. Feeling kind of alone in this issue guys! Guess it either must just be my particular car or no one else has noticed the depressions in their hood yet???

Please if you have noticed them let me know.

Thanks!

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Take it to your dealer and see what they will do for you. This sounds to me like a manufacturer defect.

OP
OP

jwatson201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Take it to your dealer and see what they will do for you. This sounds to me like a manufacturer defect.
I completely agree. Unless there is a way for a pointless dent remover I would suppose the only option is a new hood and repaint. I certainly would not want a repainted hood on a brand new vehicle. I just can't believe that I missed that in the parking lot when I purchased it. Very unlike me. This was a brand new car delivered to them two days before my purchase. This is my first Honda. Just really disappointing.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Why would you need paintless dent removal if the dents are only present when the hood is closed? It sounds like a simple case of needing the hood aligned, nothing more. Shouldn't take the dealership more than a few quick minutes to do.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
So far 94 views and no replies. Feeling kind of alone in this issue guys! Guess it either must just be my particular car or no one else has noticed the depressions in their hood yet???

Please if you have noticed them let me know.

Thanks!
I would MAKE the time to take it back to the dealership instead of fooling with it yourself.

OP
OP

jwatson201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Why would you need paintless dent removal if the dents are only present when the hood is closed? It sounds like a simple case of needing the hood aligned, nothing more. Shouldn't take the dealership more than a few quick minutes to do.
Well I suppose I got a little ahead of myself there. My apologies. After further examining very carefully today, the blemishes are still present even with the hood open. Not nearly as bad as with the hood closed. I could probably live with it if they could make it look that good with the hood closed. But again, should I be living with an issue on a brand new car? After looking at the latch assembly, there are four bolts holding it onto the front subframe. I am not certain there is any room for adjustment there. To truly solve the problem I feel it will take some adjustment on the closure mechanism and also some pointless dent removal work. I'm just not confident this will be resolved. I will update the thread once I get it resolved in case anyone else has the issue. My sincere guess is that more of you have the issue and just haven't noticed it yet. I had the car parked in my garage for two weeks after the day I picked it up. During that time I washed it, waxed it, sealed the paint with Opticoat. Not once did I notice the defects. It is strangely really hard to see unless it is outside and you are far away from the car. Up close it is so glossy and at such an angle it is challenging to see. Once one knows it's there, of course they stick out like a sore thumb.

OP
OP

jwatson201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I would MAKE the time to take it back to the dealership instead of fooling with it yourself.
I agree typically, but the closest dealership is two hours away. So I am kind of dreading that trip. You know the drill.... take it in so they can see it to confirm you aren't crazy, then they make another appointment to repair the issue. Assuming there is a repair other than replace hood and repaint.

Maybe I am being negative but this IS my first Honda. And it does have a screwed up hood on it with 200 miles on the car. Needless to say, I'm pretty skeptical at this point.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree typically, but the closest dealership is two hours away. So I am kind of dreading that trip. You know the drill.... take it in so they can see it to confirm you aren't crazy, then they make another appointment to repair the issue. Assuming there is a repair other than replace hood and repaint.

Maybe I am being negative but this IS my first Honda. And it does have a screwed up hood on it with 200 miles on the car. Needless to say, I'm pretty skeptical at this point.
I get the 2 hour drive, and explain to them it must be fixed when you bring it in for a look because of the 2 hour drive, or they must give you a loaner.
I know its annoying, but screwing around with it yourself may cause other damage, and if you do that, its on your dime. Dont even admit to the techs you have tried anything to fix it, or you may end up paying.
You do not want to void your warranty messing with it or worse cause more damage you have to pay for.

OP
OP

jwatson201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I get the 2 hour drive, and explain to them it must be fixed when you bring it in for a look because of the 2 hour drive, or they must give you a loaner.
I know its annoying, but screwing around with it yourself may cause other damage, and if you do that, its on your dime. Dont even admit to the techs you have tried anything to fix it, or you may end up paying.
You do not want to void your warranty messing with it or worse cause more damage you have to pay for.
Valid points. Thanks for the advice as I do appreciate it. Bear in mind though, all I've done is turn the two black rubber stops (one on each fender). They are just rubber telescoping stop guides that you turn with your hand. Nearly all cars have them. Since it made no improvement I put them back where they were originally. Other than that, I've just looked at it with disappointment all day.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Valid points. Thanks for the advice as I do appreciate it. Bear in mind though, all I've done is turn the two black rubber stops (one on each fender). They are just rubber telescoping stop guides that you turn with your hand. Nearly all cars have them. Since it made no improvement I put them back where they were originally. Other than that, I've just looked at it with disappointment all day.
Good, don't tell them you even did that though. You do not want to risk them saying you may have done something to cause the issue.
Definitely make the time to take it back, they'll fix it and you'll be a happy Guy :) and start enjoying your new baby.
Many dealers offer loaners, but definitely when you call in to get an appt. tell them look this is a long drive so its got to be fixed today or you have to put me in a loaner.
Hopefully they will be cool about it, but don't just show up randomly, call ahead and tell them whats going on and get an appointment time.
Keep us posted! Good luck!

OP
OP

jwatson201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Good, don't tell them you even did that though. You do not want to risk them saying you may have done something to cause the issue.
Definitely make the time to take it back, they'll fix it and you'll be a happy Guy :) and start enjoying your new baby.
Many dealers offer loaners, but definitely when you call in to get an appt. tell them look this is a long drive so its got to be fixed today or you have to put me in a loaner.
Hopefully they will be cool about it, but don't just show up randomly, call ahead and tell them whats going on and get an appointment time.
Keep us posted! Good luck!
Ok, so I have a brief update. Finally took my car in today to have the TSB done on the audio unit and to have the hood looked at. The dealership agreed that the hood is being pulled down too tightly on the latch from the way it appears. They agreed that they too could see the two large basketball sized depressions in the hood when closed and agreed that they were still slightly present when opened. They stated that they are going to adjust the latch. Then they are going to have a pointless dent remover take a look at the hood after that and take care of things. They sent me home in a brand new 2015 Civic while they are working on mine. Was very aggravating to have a 400 mile car having to be worked on already, but hopefully it will all be taken care of. I was treated very respectfully and they did provide a loaner. At this point I am satisfied that they are attempting to take care of me on this. I will update everyone once I pick up the car as to whether or not it is truly resolved and how it was performed just in case anyone else has the same issue. In the words of the Service Department Manager "if it has happened on one car, it typically means there will be others with the same problem".

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I have a brief update. Finally took my car in today to have the TSB done on the audio unit and to have the hood looked at. The dealership agreed that the hood is being pulled down too tightly on the latch from the way it appears. They agreed that they too could see the two large basketball sized depressions in the hood when closed and agreed that they were still slightly present when opened. They stated that they are going to adjust the latch. Then they are going to have a pointless dent remover take a look at the hood after that and take care of things. They sent me home in a brand new 2015 Civic while they are working on mine. Was very aggravating to have a 400 mile car having to be worked on already, but hopefully it will all be taken care of. I was treated very respectfully and they did provide a loaner. At this point I am satisfied that they are attempting to take care of me on this. I will update everyone once I pick up the car as to whether or not it is truly resolved and how it was performed just in case anyone else has the same issue. In the words of the Service Department Manager "if it has happened on one car, it typically means there will be others with the same problem".
Glad you finally took her in, and very glad they are taking good care of you. If they do not resolve it, make sure you call Honda corporate about it though!
And thanks for updating us :)

OP
OP

jwatson201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Okay, so I get a call from the dealership today that they have finished what they can on the car. They stated that the hood was definitely closing too tight and that they had Honda take a look at it. The hood closed so tightly it was bending the metal itself. They adjusted the latch and state that it is better. They had a paintless dent removal company look at it and they see some remainder of the blemishes but cannot remove them. I haven't seen the car yet as I am scheduled to pick up Monday. But I can tell you guys that I am gravely disappointed.

As for my audio issue. They looked up the TSB for the no audio issue on the Tourings. According to them, the TSB does not apply to my car and mine is produced after the "fix" and I shouldn't be having any audio issues. I am speechless. About every third time I start the car there is no audio at all. Yet they tell me there is no fix!

I will have had the car for three weeks tomorrow. I have driven it 5 different days. I am beside myself. I have clearly made a mistake in purchasing this vehicle.

The dealership told me to call Honda's customer care line and that I should discuss the "lemon law" with them. I spent over an hour on the phone and that was a useless dead end. They stated that an advisor will look at my case on Monday. But they gave no indication that anything could be done and suggested I contact the dealership. So, in short the dealership blames Honda and Honda passes the buck back to the dealership. And I am left with a brand new car that has audio issues.

Needless to say I am a very very disappointed first time Honda owner.

I appreciate everyone letting me vent and I hope this provides some assistance to someone somewhere if they ever have similar issues!

Thanks

Last edited:

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Okay, so I get a call from the dealership today that they have finished what they can on the car. They stated that the hood was definitely closing too tight and that they had Honda take a look at it. The hood closed so tightly it was bending the metal itself. They adjusted the latch and state that it is better. They had a pointless dent removal company look at it and they see some remainder of the blemishes but cannot remove them. I haven't seen the car yet as I am scheduled to pick up Monday. But I can tell you guys that I am gravely disappointed.

As for my audio issue. They looked up the TSB for the no audio issue on the Tourings. According to them, the TSB does not apply to my car and mine is produced after the "fix" and I shouldn't be having any audio issues. I am speechless. About every third time I start the car there is no audio at all. Yet they tell me there is no fix!

I will have had the car for three weeks tomorrow. I have driven it 5 different days. I am beside myself. I have clearly made a mistake in purchasing this vehicle.

The dealership told me to call Honda's customer care line and that I should discuss the "lemon law" with them. I spent over an hour on the phone and that was a useless dead end. They stated that an advisor will look at my case on Monday. But they gave no indication that anything could be done and suggested I contact the dealership. So, in short the dealership blames Honda and Honda passes the buck back to the dealership. And I am left with a brand new car that has audio issues.

Needless to say I am a very very disappointed first time Honda owner.

I appreciate everyone letting me vent and I hope this provides some assistance to someone somewhere if they ever have similar issues!

Thanks

Oooooh... You mean PAINTLESS dent removal. Here I was thinking you thought them pulling the dents out was a waste of time....

Anyway, they can't refuse to have your car's software updated. Its not necessarily true that your car was manufactured at the right time, or had the correct software installed. You can make them do it. If that's the solution to correct the audio being muted, then thats what they need to do.
Sponsored