Hondata

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Hondata 93 tune been on the car for awhile... 37k miles. Zero issues. Honestly when you look into the Hondata tune it’s nothing dramatic. Makes the car feel more responsive and a bit more peep to the pull.

trustworthy and definitely worth it over nearly every other mod you could buy for the car outside of handling / brake performance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CTR_FTW

CTR_FTW

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #30909
Country flag
Sounds like I might be investing in Hondata here soon then

OP
OP
CTR_FTW

CTR_FTW

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #30909
Country flag
One more question for you guys that are tuned. I hear there are 91 and 93 basemaps for cars with no mods on the vehicle (airbox/exhaust). Are the basemaps good enough to run daily and have fun or do you need to take it to a tuner?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I would say Hondata is the go-to now. With the instant jailbreak, you don't have to take out your ECU and have your car be down. The base maps are fairly conservative and are good for daily driving.

Hondata has a video but I also made a video.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
One more question for you guys that are tuned. I hear there are 91 and 93 basemaps for cars with no mods on the vehicle (airbox/exhaust). Are the basemaps good enough to run daily and have fun or do you need to take it to a tuner?
I ran my base map 93 tune for over a year daily I never took it off and I ran it on top of a throttle controller, zero issues. Intakes make zero difference on this car with a tune. It says so in the hondata software all except the eventuri one. And unless you are buying one just for sound, intakes do next to nothing on this car. Matter of fact there are several test videos that show the OEM one is equal too or even better then the aftermarket ones. So unless you just want to drop 400 or so to get a louder woosh spend the money else wear.

And before anyone asks I ran a throttle controller so I could tweak the throttle on top of the tunes adjustments. But on the fly without a laptop and having to reflash. The controller let me dial it up or down literally on the fly while driving.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would say Hondata is the go-to now. With the instant jailbreak, you don't have to take out your ECU and have your car be down. The base maps are fairly conservative and are good for daily driving.

Hondata has a video but I also made a video.

The 250 I thought was high for sending it in for a jail break but at least I felt I was getting something for it. Now to pay 250 to press a button and in 10 seconds. eh... seems steep. But what option you got they got you over a barrel.

lksfstcars

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, Acura RDX
Country flag
The 250 I thought was high for sending it in for a jail break but at least I felt I was getting something for it. Now to pay 250 to press a button and in 10 seconds. eh... seems steep. But what option you got they got you over a barrel.
Agreed, once it became possible to unlock the ECU OTA it should have been bundled as part of the product, seems like a money grab—similar to Apple charging extra for a stand for their monitor.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agreed, once it became possible to unlock the ECU OTA it should have been bundled as part of the product, seems like a money grab—similar to Apple charging extra for a stand for their monitor.
To be honest the whole product is overpriced. Its a little circuit box that cost about 3 bucks to make in china. I mean I get it you are paying for development and support and all that as well but at almost a grand for a little plastic box and a push button app jailbreak. It gets to be an issue of perceived value. But like I said what option do you have as far as I know they are the only one actively doing tuners for the type R. Ktuner had that post about 6 or 7 months ago where they said they were not developing for the platform any more??? Anyone know if that has changed? I haven't heard much on ktuner and seen lots of them go up for sale used.
Sponsored