Google Pixel and Android Auto

just1ncase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2000 Toyota Echo
Country flag
I'm looking to get a Google Pixel to use the Android Auto experience in my Honda Civic 2016. I was wondering if there's anyone in this forum who has any experience (positive/negative) to fill me in on what to expect.

Currently, I have an iPhone 6 and tried playing around with Carplay, but I dislike Apple Maps. Based on my experience, Apple Maps does not provide accurate directions or traffic information in comparison to Google Maps. Carplay has been glitchy and very inconsistent while I'm driving.

With that being said, am I going to experience the same thing? or is it worth the switch (me being a loyal Apple iPhone user since the iPhone 4 came out)?

Thanks and I appreciate your help. :)
Sponsored

burns_erin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/Sensing
Country flag
I don't have a Pixel, but I do use Android Auto, and I can say Google maps plays very nicely and accurately with the system.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm an avid Apple hater, so I have no CarPlay experience.

I have a Samsung Note 4 and my Android Auto works near flawlessly. Audible, Google Play Music, and Navigation all work flawlessly. The only issue I've had is a random disconnect that reconnects randomly. I suspect this has nothing to do with the car and it's my phone. I occasionally have trouble charging via charge port.

Overall, I like Android Auto and I use it everyday.

TacoDiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I'm looking to get a Google Pixel to use the Android Auto experience in my Honda Civic 2016. I was wondering if there's anyone in this forum who has any experience (positive/negative) to fill me in on what to expect.

Currently, I have an iPhone 6 and tried playing around with Carplay, but I dislike Apple Maps. Based on my experience, Apple Maps does not provide accurate directions or traffic information in comparison to Google Maps. Carplay has been glitchy and very inconsistent while I'm driving.

With that being said, am I going to experience the same thing? or is it worth the switch (me being a loyal Apple iPhone user since the iPhone 4 came out)?

Thanks and I appreciate your help. :)
I have been using Android Auto, and last week got a Pixel XL. My Android Auto experience has been mostly positive. My only complaints is that if I want to use something like the radio or SXM while using Google maps in Auto, it's a little weird to get back to showing the map on the screen (have to go to the home menu, then click Android Auto, then click the map tab...unless there's some easier way I don't realize). Also, you can't browse your music library in Google Play Music, only playlists or Recent Activity (though I think Spotify has this feature), and have to use voice commands to play anything else not there. But the voice commands work pretty well for the most part if you know what album/playlist/artist you want to listen to, other than the occasional weirdness like me not being able to play the artist Foals because it keeps thinking I'm saying Falls.

I use the Speech to Text all the time, and it works pretty well for the most part as well...other than the occasional misunderstood word, and the fact that when I want it to put "lol" in a text, it puts "LOL". I'm not that excited!

I haven't had a lot of problems other than some functionality that I think should work a little different/easier. I had some bugginess when using my LG G3, but it's been pretty bugless while using my Pixel

OP
OP

just1ncase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2000 Toyota Echo
Country flag
Thanks all for your feedback! This is very helpful - and I'm so close to making a decision to move onto Android Auto and fully take advantage of the cool new headunit technology.

@TacoDiablo That's awesome! I don't use the radio or SXM so this wouldn't be a problem. BTW - what USB cable are you using for your device? The reason that I'm asking is because sometimes the random disconnects is due to bad cables.

TacoDiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Thanks all for your feedback! This is very helpful - and I'm so close to making a decision to move onto Android Auto and fully take advantage of the cool new headunit technology.

@TacoDiablo That's awesome! I don't use the radio or SXM so this wouldn't be a problem. BTW - what USB cable are you using for your device? The reason that I'm asking is because sometimes the random disconnects is due to bad cables.
I'm using the cable that was provided in the box. They give 2 cables, and one of them has the USB A (?) end on it, so it fits with the plug in the Civic.
Sponsored