First wreck in 19 years of driving...

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
So last week I was on my way to work.. stopped at a stop sign, looked left/right and proceeded across to be hit in my wheel by a SUV. While I did look left and right I didnt see anyone on either side. There was a line of cars waiting to turn left at a light on my right side, and I didnt realize how poor the visibility was over there until it was too late. My insurance company is treating it as my fault (I did have the stop sign and the other driver didnt), but the police report still hasnt come out yet. I also wasnt ticketed. Either way I shouldnt have crossed because of the limited visibility (again something I realized after the fact).. I ended up being shoved down the road 1 or 1.5 car lengths. The impact was pretty brutal but not as brutal as when my wife (gf at the time) hit a tree at 40 mph.

My insurance company gave its first estimate of $9000 on Monday and today the body shop (connected to my Honda dealer) sent an addendum to the insurance company, but couldnt give me the dollar figure (I guess the insurance company does that), but they said it would add another 5 days and that it included the grill, all brake parts and abs sensors and additional steering parts for that wheel. So now I am looking at 15+5 days for a repair (3 weeks since they dont work on weekends). Also one of the parts they included has 3 hours associated with it and its called the apron.. is that the frame at the top of the hood on the fender? It looked slightly bent in to me when I saw it in person earlier this week when I was getting the rest of my tools out of the trunk.

How in the hell isnt it totaled with this much damage? The original report included the headlight, fender, bumper, hood, door skin for the front and rear door, wheel (not the tire), seat cover and airbag, curtain airbag and roofliner, windshield, associated plastics inside and other misc parts like that orange corner lamp and a hinge for the hood + paint, etc... I hope they are also replacing the axle and tire as well on that side.

In the end I am grateful I wasnt hurt.. I know my rate will increase (yay), I just hope it drives the same as before. The car was only 3 months old with 2000 miles..

How does it work if they end up totalling it? I didnt have gap insurance on the car, but I do owe ~2k less than what they are listed for on autotrader as used with similar mileage.

Honda Civic 10th gen First wreck in 19 years of driving... lKmqU4y

Honda Civic 10th gen First wreck in 19 years of driving... 17KrAMv

Honda Civic 10th gen First wreck in 19 years of driving... OMAy2Lm

Honda Civic 10th gen First wreck in 19 years of driving... h1ljx5y

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Glad your not hurt. I know how it is with poor visibility when pulling out. If it's due to the city or homeowner not trimming a bush or something, maybe you could bring that up. There's a couple places near my house where I have to pull into the road to see what's coming...and people drive really fast on country roads.

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Glad your not hurt. I know how it is with poor visibility when pulling out. If it's due to the city or homeowner not trimming a bush or something, maybe you could bring that up. There's a couple places near my house where I have to pull into the road to see what's coming...and people drive really fast on country roads.
Yeah I mentioned that to the police that I looked but didn't realize how bad the visibility was due to the line of cars till it was too late. I thought I could see if someone was coming but I obviously couldn't.

I hate when places of those beautiful bushes strategecially placed when you're pulling out on a busy road.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My guess is this will end up being a total loss. If it is not, I would fight that with your insurance company. Air bags deployed, possible/likely frame damage, cost of repair will be high of course, and factoring in diminished value.

If they do total loss the car, make sure to get an offer worthy of the value. If there are not many used ones in your area, you can claim they are in high demand and command a higher value. You dont have to accept their first offer. Please look into your local regulations on these things and really work the insurance company to get what you deserve. These companies try anything and everything to squeeze more money out of their customers so dont feel bad at all working them till you get the high retail value for a used Si.

That said, glad to hear you are okay.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yeah I mentioned that to the police that I looked but didn't realize how bad the visibility was due to the line of cars till it was too late. I thought I could see if someone was coming but I obviously couldn't.

I hate when places of those beautiful bushes strategecially placed when you're pulling out on a busy road.
I almost got hit driving past Walmart. 2 cars were at the exit next to each other. The girl on the right was blocked by the car on the left and she pulled out left into the road...even though she couldn't see what was coming. I slammed the brakes and honked, but the horn is so weak I don't think anyone heard it :(

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
My guess is this will end up being a total loss. If it is not, I would fight that with your insurance company. Air bags deployed, possible/likely frame damage, cost of repair will be high of course, and factoring in diminished value.

If they do total loss the car, make sure to get an offer worthy of the value. If there are not many used ones in your area, you can claim they are in high demand and command a higher value. You dont have to accept their first offer. Please look into your local regulations on these things and really work the insurance company to get what you deserve. These companies try anything and everything to squeeze more money out of their customers so dont feel bad at all working them till you get the high retail value for a used Si.

That said, glad to hear you are okay.
Thanks! Since the insurance company is treating it as my fault I don't get any diminished value at all.

I think it's getting pretty close to a total loss.. Who would I need to talk to? The adjuster who keeps coming to look at the car or their customer service?

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If a car is total loss can you sell parts from it?
Not normally, as if its financed the bank owns it. If you have aftermarket parts or property in it you can normally get those back if you replacement with the factory parts. Of course there are exceptions to this.
Thanks! Since the insurance company is treating it as my fault I don't get any diminished value at all.

I think it's getting pretty close to a total loss.. Who would I need to talk to? The adjuster who keeps coming to look at the car or their customer service?
You can always have another shop estimate. Make sure they are using all new OEM parts etc. As far as who can you talk to? I cant answer that. Do some research on the subject for your state, knowledge is always power. Also make sure you specifically look up the laws for diminished value if they fix it... at fault or not they may be trying to rip you off.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, accident is going to be on you. As far as the car, it doesn’t look all that bad. They will likely uncover more damage as they get into it. Here in NC, a car must be deemed a total loss once the cost to repair reaches 75% or more of its value. Check the law in your state or just ask your adjuster. Sometimes, they will deem your car a constructive total loss. This means between paying out the rental, likely 900 in your case, + the cost to repair ends up being more than totaling the car. This is due to the insurance company selling off the salvage once they take ownership and getting money back which is then credited towards the claim. That car likely has a pretty high salvage value. Wheel hits are tough as can push the axle into the motor, you can’t tell things are bent until it won’t align etc...But see what the 1st supplement brings the repair cost to and I’m sure there will be more. And also, the bank doesn’t own the car, you do. They have a lien against the car.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wheel hits are tough as can push the axle into the motor, you can’t tell things are bent until it won’t align etc...
@MattyNice said it. It looks like it can be a trip down the rabbit hole. If it's not a good bet, then generally insurance companies usually won't bite. It's got to be a pretty sure thing the car can be recovered to be in it's original condition before they throw time and money at it and they realize they are wrong.

My wife turned in front of a Accord in a '05 Ford Escape we owned at the time... back around '07. Giant, open highway in front of her. No obstructed view. 2 lanes. Just slowed.. then made a left right in front of a guy and got T-boned. Totally her fault. When I got to the scene... saw the car was demolished but... saw her banged up but ok... and the person who hit it, a middle aged fella in a early '00's Accord (which was totalled... but faired well enough to let him walk away unscathed, other than some whiplash)... I was relieved. Then I had to ask... how in the world does one lose their mind and turn in front of an oncoming car on the highway?

When I'm losing a fight w/her now-a-days...

...I ask her that same question. It still has a little magic left in it.

Accidents happen though. I'm glad you're ok. My last accident was about 19 years ago too... and I'm sure I'd feel pretty... yeah... about being at fault on one at this point.

How does it work if they end up totalling it? I didnt have gap insurance on the car, but I do owe ~2k less than what they are listed for on autotrader as used with similar mileage.
At that time, Geico did something when they took 10 used examples that were the same make/model/trim/options I the area with roughly the same mileage, did some math and cut me a check, minus my deductable value. Since I had gap, the bank just took the check and it settled my loan (it was a little upside down, mostly from negative equity from car I got a terrible deal on as a 20 year old. First new car and got taken to the cleaners).

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
You can always have another shop estimate. Make sure they are using all new OEM parts etc. As far as who can you talk to? I cant answer that. Do some research on the subject for your state, knowledge is always power. Also make sure you specifically look up the laws for diminished value if they fix it... at fault or not they may be trying to rip you off.
Im hosed on the dimished value unless the police report shows it wasnt my fault, but since I had a stop sign and he didnt everything else doesnt matter.

Now onto the OEM parts issue, they are saying its part of my policy that they dont use OEM parts to fix the car. I ran out of time today to call them up but I dont see where it says that on the policy. Its written on my repair statement but that doesnt mean its in my policy, Im going to make them show me where it is before I start contesting it, but I did have the dealer/body shop look at the car with me and the guy said theyd probably end up fighting to use OEM parts because the car is so young. True or not, I hope thats true.

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Wheel hits are tough as can push the axle into the motor, you can’t tell things are bent until it won’t align etc...But see what the 1st supplement brings the repair cost to and I’m sure there will be more.
Exactly my fear.. that the axle pushed into the transmission but I am guessing it didnt or the addendum they submitted today would have included the axle. I am worried about the car not aligning again or having issues once its put back together.

As it is I am on day 4 of having my rental car out of a max 30 days. The repair is estimated to last 15 days plus another 5 once this addendum goes through. So 20 + weekends and ill be right at 30 days if not more. Now my wife and I are going to be down to 1 car with a baby due very soon. This shit is stressing me out.. Of course this could all be worse had she been in the car with me, just that thought makes me want to throw up.

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
@MattyNice said it. It looks like it can be a trip down the rabbit hole. If it's not a good bet, then generally insurance companies usually won't bite. It's got to be a pretty sure thing the car can be recovered to be in it's original condition before they throw time and money at it and they realize they are wrong.

My wife turned in front of a Accord in a '05 Ford Escape we owned at the time... back around '07. Giant, open highway in front of her. No obstructed view. 2 lanes. Just slowed.. then made a left right in front of a guy and got T-boned. Totally her fault. When I got to the scene... saw the car was demolished but... saw her banged up but ok... and the person who hit it, a middle aged fella in a early '00's Accord (which was totalled... but faired well enough to let him walk away unscathed, other than some whiplash)... I was relieved. Then I had to ask... how in the world does one lose their mind and turn in front of an oncoming car on the highway?

When I'm losing a fight w/her now-a-days...

...I ask her that same question. It still has a little magic left in it.

Accidents happen though. I'm glad you're ok. My last accident was about 19 years ago too... and I'm sure I'd feel pretty... yeah... about being at fault on one at this point.

At that time, Geico did something when they took 10 used examples that were the same make/model/trim/options I the area with roughly the same mileage, did some math and cut me a check, minus my deductable value. Since I had gap, the bank just took the check and it settled my loan (it was a little upside down, mostly from negative equity from car I got a terrible deal on as a 20 year old. First new car and got taken to the cleaners).
I always figured myself to be a good driver, but now that I have an accident under my belt thats my fault, well now I know I am not as good as I thought I was. Granted I wasnt distracted, I just was being impatient and ended up making what I thought was a safe maneuver, really an unsafe one.

The body shop was telling me this guy that came to look at my car wasnt their usual agent from my insurance company, so I am not really sure how to take that - he didnt have much good to say about the guy and how quick he was to look at the car originally.

At this point if they looked at all the used 17 and 18 Si's in my area with the same miles that I have I would be golden as far as what I owe the bank. Id have enough cash to put down another good down payment and toward taxes. I didnt have to finance much taxes this time due to the Fiesta ST I traded in.

Ill just start with the local adjuster and address my concerns with him and see what he says. He didnt seem to nice the other day when I talked to him, its like they have this chip on their shoulder since they are already saying the wreck was my fault. Hell, this guy was trying to pressure me into changing repair shops because he thought it would take the Honda body shop a week to get the car broken down.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
how old are you? sorry that shit happpened. black civics lolook the best

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
how old are you? sorry that shit happpened. black civics lolook the best
Started driving when I was 18.. well on my own minus the learners permit crap. I never cared or had desire to drive till I was finishing highschool. Im 37.
Sponsored