First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for this thread and tips! It went a long way in helping me do my chrome trim this morning. Only took two hours and was a breeze! So much better than vinyl tape. I tried that a couple days ago and it was a nightmare. Never again. Even if this only last 6 months to a year, again, only took 2 hours of my time. Very easy to redo.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Black out chrome pieces and trims IMG_20170727_103538
Sponsored

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for this thread and tips! It went a long way in helping me do my chrome trim this morning. Only took two hours and was a breeze! So much better than vinyl tape. I tried that a couple days ago and it was a nightmare. Never again. Even if this only last 6 months to a year, again, only took 2 hours of my time. Very easy to redo.

IMG_20170727_103538.jpg

Looks amazing. Did you see just the chrome or the already black areas, too?

egodriver07

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks amazing. Did you see just the chrome or the already black areas, too?
Just the chrome, the matte black finish matches it all perfectly so there was no need to go over the pillars or anything. Here's a before pic for perspective.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Black out chrome pieces and trims IMG_20170719_105446

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Just the chrome, the matte black finish matches it all perfectly so there was no need to go over the pillars or anything. Here's a before pic for perspective.

IMG_20170719_105446.jpg
Nice....i'm going to do the same....but I've already added gloss black vinyl to the door pillars...I couldn't stand how matte and ugly they look stock

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_20170727_103538.jpg
It looks great ! Good job. I'm glad the thread helped you out! Remember to put some spray wax on the dip to help protect it and get rid of the rubbery feeling.

egodriver07

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks great ! Good job. I'm glad the thread helped you out! Remember to put some spray wax on the dip to help protect it and get rid of the rubbery feeling.
Yup, done. Used the turtle wax ice wax as you suggested. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Seafoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sedan EX-T 2017
Do you use any glossifier or anything to make the matte look less dull?

dskillz99

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
This thread can serve both as a 'how to' as well as a 'how would it look like?' thread

Was never fond of the chrome pieces on the car from the start and the sun decided to come out and cooperate today with me.

VERY IMPORTANT! CLEAN THE CHROME PIECES!!! Plastidip along with any paint, should go on a clean surface. I used some glass cleaner on the chrome pieces with a microfiber cloth and it cleaned them very well.

*Materials I used:
2 cans of black plasti dip
bucket of warm/hot water
painters tape/old newspaper-ads
Either the DYC Dip Coat or what I use is Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax

*if you are not familiar with plasti-dip, it's basically a rubber based paint that you can apply and peel off when ever you need to IF you do it right. I did 5 coats on each piece which will give me the ability to peel the plasti-dip if I ever want to. Please read the instructions on the can or watch tutorials from Dipyourcar on youtube.

What I did first was put the plasti dip in the bucket of warm/hot water.

canvas.png

Although plasti-dip is peelable I didn't want to waste the product so I took the time to tape around the trim and chrome front piece. You also don't want to spend time cleaning up overspray.
fgf.png

What I like to do is put a layer of tape down first so I can be exact in my taping and then throw the tape with news paper in top. That way if I need to, I can reuse the newspaper and tape for the other side. Do what you're comfortable with or what you're use to doing.

gtttg.png

gryh.png

blk.png

uyy.png
;po.png

nbbb.png

(although I only did the chrome piece of the grill at this time, it didn't match the piece right under it so I later on did that piece too to match)

Finished product.

htth.png

cxcx.png

erre.png

rere.png

fdfdfd.png

*Tips*
- get familiar with taping and peeling the tape and when to peel the tape with dipyourcar videos on youtube.
- After the Dip has dried, Either use the DYC Dip Coat or what I used was Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax and spray it on the dipped areas to get rid of the rubbery feel of plasti-dip and help keep the dip smooth.
I think I am going to do my grill tonight. Just wondering if I should remove the tape/newspaper as soon as I do my final coat (while it is wet) or wait until it is dry? Does it matter?