Dealers " test driving" your CTR's before delivery

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR #2043, 03 S2000, 05 Element, 69 Charger
I

Well youre correct, i was simply relaying what was told to me. I didnt say those things. Lol
As far as them worrying about losing a sale that day...lmfao bro ive bought 5 cars in a row from the same salesman, at the same dealer, all with the same finance manager and all, they are NEVER worried about wether im a serious customer or not. In fact if they wanted to pull that kind of thinking about me they would have said yesss its worth waiting for,, give us a deposit today and well get it to you soon as it lands! And as far as dropping value goes, sure youre correct, it will hold value , for private sellers selling to individuals! However dont act shocked like dealers wont give you more than ex or mayyyybe exl value on trade in. I was talking trade value, in wich case everyone loses their ass so i wouldnt be so sure about that one sir! And also what they were meaning was the value of a new msrp ex civic, not the same as an ex thats used at the same time as the type r. Meaning the used r bringing in the value of a new ex. As far as welcome to the car buisness comment lol i sold cars, for HONDA for a long time sir, and at many other dealers as well, got tired of dealing with people crying all the time and bounced after a 13yr career, so no , not new to it bro. Lol

Again all i did was RELAY what was told to me. Wont post in here again, sorry to of offended any type r owners!
no no man, you didn't offend me or anyone to my knowledge. I was just referring to what your dealer told you, that its far from the way most or opinion of probably mostly everyone that is buying a Type R.
We certainly do not in the slightest feel that we are getting ripped off, unless maybe someone pays 25k ADM..lol. To finally get one of these cars for must of us is going to be nothing short of epic, and for a dealer to say were basically ripping everyone off that buys a type r is craziness, and if for some reason down the road someone wants to trade it in, they will not get the same valuation as if they bought an EX instead of a Type R. Unless the roof has been cut off, there is no interior and rolling on 4 donuts lol, then maybe.
Also i apologize if i offended you with my 'Jedi mind tricks welcome to the car biz' line..i was just trying to be whitty.:dunno:
cheers
Sponsored

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex HB FK7
no no man, you didn't offend me or anyone to my knowledge. I was just referring to what your dealer told you, that its far from the way most or opinion of probably mostly everyone that is buying a Type R.
We certainly do not in the slightest feel that we are getting ripped off, unless maybe someone pays 25k ADM..lol. To finally get one of these cars for must of us is going to be nothing short of epic, and for a dealer to say were basically ripping everyone off that buys a type r is craziness, and if for some reason down the road someone wants to trade it in, they will not get the same valuation as if they bought an EX instead of a Type R. Unless the roof has been cut off, there is no interior and rolling on 4 donuts lol, then maybe.
Also i apologize if i offended you with my 'Jedi mind tricks welcome to the car biz' line..i was just trying to be whitty.:dunno:
cheers
Its all good man, lol my dealer is just very honest with me, but its not that he really said ripped off , but more of a statement of " yes its a type r, but when it boils down to it its just a civic w sportier lines , and features w some more power, but underneath all of that jazz, its still a civic!"
And no offense taken, i thought i had triggered you lol! Im not knocking the type r as i love it, but in todays world i can see the logic behind my guys statement, hes simply saying people will lose their asses when they trade em in. Said their best bet will be selling outright cause dealers DO NOT CARE WHAT TRIM IT IS! Dealers will add increments of 3-500 dollars for trim increases on trades, so his logic of a type r in a few yrs being worth only what a new ex costs now when they trade it in seems plausible to me. Again no offense to anyone but i seriously do not believe this new platform will gain the value of the older ctr's and itr's. Those vehicles were iconic. This one im not sure so much. Even though i think it is, and many do, theres more people saying they dislike the new r and even the whole new civic line than ive ever heard except for the 01-05 models! Lol

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
My Si dropped off the truck this afternoon with 6 miles on it. It gained 8 more when a tech drove it during the PDI and to the gas station. It's waiting on me to pick it up with 14 miles on it.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I picked up my Si last night. Here's the third page of the PDI paperwork for the 2017 Honda Civic. Notice the third item under "9. Road Test" reads "Check engine performance under all driving conditions".

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealers " test driving" your CTR's  before delivery IMG_6896.JPG

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
I picked up my Si last night. Here's the third page of the PDI paperwork for the 2017 Honda Civic. Notice the third item under "9. Road Test" reads "Check engine performance under all driving conditions".

IMG_6896.JPG
You got a pic? Id live to see this bad boy

Psy-q

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BRZ Spor-tech manual.
My general manager approached every tech/apprentice/sales person/lot boy to specifically say that there are ZERO drives of the Type R. It will probably stay in the showroom. We are getting 2 this year.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
My general manager approached every tech/apprentice/sales person/lot boy to specifically say that there are ZERO drives of the Type R. It will probably stay in the showroom. We are getting 2 this year.
Who can stick shift right anyway. I wouldn't practice on a Type R so that's self-explanatory to me. General public, nopers.

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
I just left my Honda dealership got everything finalized on my type r & the sales manager said the same thing , no body will drive it but him to get gas & I opted to leave all the plastic on it. It will be going straight over for a clear bra & opti coat & full detail by my guy. Definitely don't want some kid washing it with a dirty wash mitt lol

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes S63 Cabriolet
I am pretty sure you should not buy a demo car. When I was asked to test drive the first SI in town me and 4 sales person cramped in to that Si couple which has't been PDIed yet and beat the crap out of it... we put 200km on the car in an hour and half....

WxWatch

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Civic Si, '88 Prelude Si (4WS)
I talked to the GM where I'm getting mine and he said that he told everyone in their morning meeting that nobody is driving the Type-R. He seemed a little disappointed that he wasn't going to get to drive it lol. Maybe I'll let him take it around the parking lot after I pick it up

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Some things to keep in mind...

Like most vehicles, the Civic's owner's manual says to avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation for the first 600 miles and hard braking for the first 200 miles.

Most vehicles get "suddenly accelerated" or "floored" during factory testing, PDI, and/or during test drives. We'll never know just how few fail prematurely as a result.

The powertrain is warranted for 5 years or 60,000 miles. If a rod doesn't fly through the block and it doesn't burn oil during that length time as a result of some abusive test drives, chances are it never will.

Si and Type R owners, in particular, are likely to subject their engines to far more wear over the course of many years and tens of thousands of miles of intended use than what a few, hard test drives at the dealer will cause.

Engines are fairly well protected these days - especially now that we have rev limiters to prevent things like valve float and to minimize damage due to neutral drops along with clutch delay valve to reduce driveline shock from clutch dumping.

Some cars are so underpowered that you almost have to floor them to safely merge with traffic. I guarantee every HR-V located at a dealer near a highway gets the spit slung out of it on every test drive.
Why hard braking?

SilentMonkCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
It is required before sale to a customer for general liability purposes.
Sponsored