Coolant Reservoir Failure & Aftermath

thetracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FK6 1.0T
Country flag
Hello,

After taking as much care as I could of my 1.0 Civic, the coolant reservoir decided to rupture at the only seam it had. There was no engine temperature increase to notice on the dashboard, no steam from under the bonnet and NO low coolant error, or anything. I must have driven around 100km with low coolant. Service initially changed only the coolant reservoir, but after a one day drive of 600km, the coolant was brown, oil still looked ok, but there was a rubbing sound coming from withing the engine. Apparently, a crack developed in the cylinderhead, which the service is changing as we speak.

I am stressed with the overheating, though, maybe it affected more than just the cylinderhead? Should I repair & sell?

I concluded that it was a pretty violent seam rupture, there was dried coolant everywhere around the reservoir. Piecing back together my routes (and the staines from father-in-law parking lot :)), it is very probable the coolant reservoir burst after a spirited drive at 33C, after engine shutoff, with me away from the car. Shouldn't a cooling fan run after engine shutoff on such ocassions? Does the Civic even have this feature? Yes, I drove the car gently for the last 3km to cool things off.

Anyway, check you coolant reservoir regularly, it seems to be the same one for all engines. When it starts dripping at the seam, it attracts dirt. Any dirt on the seam of the reservoir is not a good sign!
Sponsored

mar6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 5D Elegance Navi MT 1.0
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the information, that's good to know and look out for.

What's your car's mileage?

OP
OP

thetracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FK6 1.0T
Country flag
The car had 104000km when it happened. In the end, Honda itself plus the extended warranty paid for a new engine block/head/turbo. I guess I was very lucky, the extended warranty was expiring in 3months. The only downside was the car had to sit for 3months for the parts to arrive, specifically the turbo was hard to get.
Sponsored