clay bar

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I just clayed my car for the first time (I never clayed before), and even though I'm an avowed skeptic about everything, I can't believe how good claying works. I've been waxing cars for forty years, and I never realized I was waxing in a bunch of garbage that isn't removed by washing. I did the sandwich bag test, and I could feel all this grit on the surface of the paint. After claying, it's as smooth as glass. Does anyone know if clay removes the previous coat of wax?
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I just clayed my car for the first time (I never clayed before), and even though I'm an avowed skeptic about everything, I can't believe how good claying works. I've been waxing cars for forty years, and I never realized I was waxing in a bunch of garbage that isn't removed by washing. I did the sandwich bag test, and I could feel all this grit on the surface of the paint. After claying, it's as smooth as glass. Does anyone know if clay removes the previous coat of wax?
I use a dish soap solution as a lubricant with clay bar instead of the quick detailer it comes with so if anything that combination strips it right down.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Does anyone know if clay removes the previous coat of wax?
You'll want to reapply wax after claying - and yes its pretty incredible how effective claying is. I haven't done it in a long while though because of the time and effort involved, but I used to do a 4 step post wash - paint cleaner then clay then polish then wax... you never knew how good your car can look until you've done this.

OP
OP

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
yea it is time consuming. I'm doing it over the three day holiday weekend, so roof and hood on sat, quarter panels on sun, and doors and front fenders on mon. way too lazy to do it all at once. plus I do a better job this way.

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Few questions,

Is it clay bar, paint seal, then wax?

And also if you have a wrapped roof do you clay bar the roof or no?

OP
OP

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Few questions,

Is it clay bar, paint seal, then wax?

And also if you have a wrapped roof do you clay bar the roof or no?
I'm no expert but I just did clay bar then wax. Meguires ultimate liquid wax. I wouldn't think you would clay a wrapped roof.

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
What clay bar do you guys use? I have one Ricarro Yellow left, but I heard that isn't available in the US

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just bought the Nanoskin Autoscrub sponges, which are supposed to be better than clay (last longer, can be rinsed off). I've tried it in spots (since I've clayed the car less than a month ago) and it seems to work pretty well. Something to look into if you need a clay replacement.

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I just bought the Nanoskin Autoscrub sponges, which are supposed to be better than clay (last longer, can be rinsed off). I've tried it in spots (since I've clayed the car less than a month ago) and it seems to work pretty well. Something to look into if you need a clay replacement.
They seem expensive last time I checked. Wouldn't it get stuff stuck in it and not be able to be rinsed off? If that's not how it is then I'll look into it, I wouldn't want to have something small get stuck in there then have it scratch my paint.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They seem expensive last time I checked. Wouldn't it get stuff stuck in it and not be able to be rinsed off? If that's not how it is then I'll look into it, I wouldn't want to have something small get stuck in there then have it scratch my paint.
It works the same as a claybar, and has the same requirements: clean car, plenty of lubrication, occasional rinsing of the surface.
Sponsored