Chip in the windscreen

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I have only had my new 2017 Civic EX-T for 9 days, and there is a noticeable chip in the windscreen. I don't know how I missed it, but with as little as I have driven the car, I would be surprised if it wasn't there from the beginning.

Are there any recommendations on getting it fixed? The most important thing to me is that it is right, and I'm willing to do whatever I need to do to make that happen.

Thank you preemptively for your suggestions.

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
Sponsored

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'd personally get it filled in as soon as possible before it spreads and cracks. this wont remove the chip entirely, as it will still be visible, but it will be less visible. You might want to see if your insurance will cover it and have a company repair it.

OP
OP

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So really the only way to truly make it right would be to replace the entire windscreen? If the chip will still be noticeable after filling it with a company like Safelite, then that probably won't work for someone with OCD.

Thank you for your recommendation.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So really the only way to truly make it right would be to replace the entire windscreen? If the chip will still be noticeable after filling it with a company like Safelite, then that probably won't work for someone with OCD.

Thank you for your recommendation.
Unfortunately yes. However a chip repair is much cheaper than a new windscreen if you can deal with the imperfection, and having a smaller nick is less unsightly than a cracked windscreen or looking at the chip. Just google a before and after.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Also if you park outside (and it's really cold) and turn up the heat trying to warm it up for scraping off the snow, beware that it's likely to crack from the temperature differential. Just happened to two guys at work over the weekend...

I.e. another reason to repair it ASAP (in case you needed one) :)

OP
OP

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I contacted my insurance and they sent out a technician from Safelite. The technician said that the only way to truly make this right is to replace the entire windscreen. Fortunately, my insurance includes a guaranteed Honda OEM replacement, and they should be able to take care of it a couple days from now. To me, it looks like this is a list of the appropriate part numbers:

http://hondapartsnetwork.com/assemb...edan-EX-Turbo-6-Speed-Manual-Front-Windshield

I'm correct that the EX-T does NOT have the sensing windscreen, right?

Thanks again for all the feedback so far. I'm just hoping that it turns out as close to perfect as possible. I can't stand the thought of having wind noise or leakage, or something else that comes from a windscreen replacement. :(
Sponsored