ariell

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I dont even know if I have a specific question, but perhaps someone can shed some light on this for me.
Sorry in advance for the lengthy post lol

I bought my 2017 si with 25k on it.
After 5 months of driving, I had some noise, didnt and still dont know how to describe it - something with the tires. No one else could hear it in my car, but I could. After about a month, everyone started to be able to hear it. Almost like a whirring from the rear tires. I took it into Honda, they told me my rear tires were feathered on the inner sides and that's what I was hearing. I asked them to check my rear suspension, because I figured the inner rear tires arent going to just feather out of no where (without a suspension, weight, or alignment issue). They said it was fine and to just change my tires. So I did.. and everything sounded fine. Fast forward a month or two and I start hearing the noise again. I take it in, they can't hear anything and tell me its road noise. I drive this car everyday, I know 100% theres something going on again in the rear tires. Camber on rear tires looks off for a stock set up. So I take it back and again ask to check it out, check rear suspension. They tell me there's no feathering but I need an alignment. I'm gonna post the before and after alignment to see if anyone sees anything funny. So I do the allightment, but basically the noise is getting louder and louder again and I already have to buy new summer tires, and now I'm gonna be extra pissed if I have to buy new winters.

I uploaded the before and after of my specs.. anyone have any advice?
Honda kinda shrugs it off but I know something is up and I have a feeling it's the rear camber. But I dont know enough about this shit to even speculate - I just know how my car feels and pick up on noises and odd drive feelings super quick lol

Honda Civic 10th gen Camber and tire feathering 20191221_150945
Sponsored

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I dont even know if I have a specific question, but perhaps someone can shed some light on this for me.
Sorry in advance for the lengthy post lol

I bought my 2017 si with 25k on it.
After 5 months of driving, I had some noise, didnt and still dont know how to describe it - something with the tires. No one else could hear it in my car, but I could. After about a month, everyone started to be able to hear it. Almost like a whirring from the rear tires. I took it into Honda, they told me my rear tires were feathered on the inner sides and that's what I was hearing. I asked them to check my rear suspension, because I figured the inner rear tires arent going to just feather out of no where (without a suspension, weight, or alignment issue). They said it was fine and to just change my tires. So I did.. and everything sounded fine. Fast forward a month or two and I start hearing the noise again. I take it in, they can't hear anything and tell me its road noise. I drive this car everyday, I know 100% theres something going on again in the rear tires. Camber on rear tires looks off for a stock set up. So I take it back and again ask to check it out, check rear suspension. They tell me there's no feathering but I need an alignment. I'm gonna post the before and after alignment to see if anyone sees anything funny. So I do the allightment, but basically the noise is getting louder and louder again and I already have to buy new summer tires, and now I'm gonna be extra pissed if I have to buy new winters.

I uploaded the before and after of my specs.. anyone have any advice?
Honda kinda shrugs it off but I know something is up and I have a feeling it's the rear camber. But I dont know enough about this shit to even speculate - I just know how my car feels and pick up on noises and odd drive feelings super quick lol

20191221_150945.jpg
This happened to me after a month of driving my 19 SI. It's actually winter where I am now, so the noise is even more noticeable. i took it to Honda for them to check wtf was that sound coming from the rear end. But then I also noticed that the car wasn't balanced as I was drifting to the right when the steering wheel is centered. They just did an alignment for me and lowered my tire pressure to specs since it was overfilled. The noise dramatically reduces and is now barely noticeable...but still there especially on a cold morning.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the same problem this past summer. Maybe 2-3 months after putting my summer wheels/tires (alignment was done also), I started hearing noise from the rear. I thought it was a bad wheel bearing. I never had the time to go check it out so they looked at it when I was switching to my winter wheels/tires and that's when the service guy said it was my rear tires that were feathered.
I've had my winter tires on for 3 months now and no noise like on the summer tires so I'm wondering if maybe it was the tires (Nokian zLine A/S).
Also I did not have this problem the first summer I had the car with the stock Goodyear tires.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Looks like your Toe alignment literally ate up your front tires. Camber alone won't do that.

Your current settings look much better. A little bit of Toe is good for stability. Too much and it drags the tires across the pavement.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like your Toe alignment literally ate up your front tires. Camber alone won't do that.

Your current settings look much better. A little bit of Toe is good for stability. Too much and it drags the tires across the pavement.
It was his rear tires that were feathered though.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Likely rotated from the front by previous owner.

Once worn, no amount of correction will prevent that.