Athletic driving w/ rev hang= wear?

Skeegle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 6MT
Hey guys. I'm noticing slight clutch smell even when I'm trying to be careful after sessions of spirited driving (i.e. not waiting for every hanging rev to fall before releasing clutch).

How much wear and tear is it to NOT wait for the rpm-fall when shifting from say 5000 in 2nd into 3500 in 3rd, where you let off the clutch with most of those 1200-1500rpms unmatched/hanging? When you're on a canyon road having fun and constantly moving through 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and shifting fluidly w/o waiting for all your revs to drop, are you possibly wearing down your clutch with a faster moving flywheel vs the gear you're upshifting into?

Anyone else? I know everyone with a 6-speed and Hondata is not matching every rev when you get on a nice road ;)

TIA guys.
Sponsored

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes S63 Cabriolet
I usually just dump the clutch.... Same as what i did with my Focus RS. If you dump it quick there wont be any clutch smell

OP
OP

Skeegle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 6MT
Yeah it seems logical that faster release of clutch would wear less! I'm just curious as to what the absolute LEAST wear and tear way would be, assuming we are definitely going to drive our 6mts with fervor and spirit.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't wait and i never felt any clutch smell, make sure to get back on the gas only when the clutch is completely engaged

Kasai808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Although most clutches can handle a couple times of burning the clutch, over time it will cause "glazing" of the disk, threfore; making it difficult for the clutch to bite and fully engage. This will lead to eventual and premature slipping.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Clutch is a wear item, don't sweat it man.

Spirited driving, just dump it.
I don't wait and i never felt any clutch smell, make sure to get back on the gas only when the clutch is completely engaged
If you want buttery smooth shifts while going decent speeds, you got to give it gas when upshifting.

When you're just about to fully release the clutch, that's when you start applying gas but very little.
Sponsored