Anyone know what the top speed limiter is set to on the 1.5T models?

heyyoudvd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX w/ Sensing
no doubt the top speed is the same, but the turbo will hit the top sooner than the non-turbo 2.0 but not really by much.
From what I've been reading, the 2.0 can do 0-60 in 7.8 seconds while the 1.5T will do it somewhere between 6.8 and 7.2 seconds. That's only a 0.6 to 1.0 second difference between the engines.
But more importantly, that 2.0 is significantly faster than the 9th Gen that it's replacing, which was around 8.8 seconds.
Sponsored

Penryn87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring.
Country flag
I think the limiter has more to do with the CVT than anything else. My understanding is that CVT's just don't do well with long periods at high output.

max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex 1.5t cvt
Country flag
I think the limiter has more to do with the CVT than anything else. My understanding is that CVT's just don't do well with long periods at high output.
the top speed has nothing to do with the cvt. the top speed is controlled via the computer/governor. as of now there is no way to remove the factory settings that i know of. and yes both the 1.5 and 2.0 can phsycally go beyond the 125-130 mark set by the factory. but honda feels the need to set the top at 125-130.

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
the top speed has nothing to do with the cvt. the top speed is controlled via the computer/governor.
The top speed has a little bit to do with the CVT if the reason they limited the max speed was because of mechanical limitations.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Only way to remove the limiter is with a re-flash / piggy back system.
I had a subaru Legacy 2.5l GT Turbo, Cobb Hand held that Cobb allowed you to use their maps, or create your own. I went into the map and measured their changes from the stock map -level 1 map -level 2 map. I then pushed up a few setting such as boost, messing with timing and fuel to air. Nice part was no matter how high i turned up the boost the factory computer would keep the car from destroying itself versus a complete stand alone unit where you could blow it up. I dropped my quatermile time from a 15.5 to and falt 14 sec for about $600.00

ac143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan (manual)
Country flag
CRV turbo can do 195 kph, or 121 mph, so if it can do that, no doubt that any modern civic can do the same.

Edit: limited to 195

Last edited:

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I'm guessing that the 6MT is much better than the CVT for top speed. Much more durable.And top speed with the MT is probably attained in 5th, not 6th.

mc1200s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 ext
Country flag
And it gets there without any effort with the Hondata 6psi tune.

Taken place on a closed course

=OrionX=

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring, 2017 CR-V EX AWD
Country flag
How did you take that pic??? I'd be white knuckled on both hands on a public road at that speed.

EDIT
Just saw your follow up post re: closed course. Still, balls of steel to hold a phone with one hand and the wheel at 132 with the other.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
It's always fun to look back at these older posts... :)

with all the myths about the civic si, what if its just the 1.5 with the governor removed with a manual transmition :confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1:
You weren't too far off - it's the 1.5T with a manual transmision and is electronically limited to 137 MPH. ;)

as of now there is no way to remove the factory settings that i know of. and yes both the 1.5 and 2.0 can phsycally go beyond the 125-130 mark set by the factory. but honda feels the need to set the top at 125-130.
A Hondata tune will remove the top speed limiter.
Sponsored

Last edited: