Eli6291649

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I want to add some led strips in my interior but I cant find a fuse to use for it. I also need to find the door switch for the overhead lights so they can come on when i open the door.
what fuse could be used and where would i find the wires for the door switch?
Sponsored

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I want to add some led strips in my interior but I cant find a fuse to use for it. I also need to find the door switch for the overhead lights so they can come on when i open the door.
what fuse could be used and where would i find the wires for the door switch?

Did you buy an LED kit?? Or are using something else?? Honda makes a plug & play kit, but to have it turn on with the doors you would need to switch a couple wires around.

Im going to be installing an under dash LED kit soon, as well as the Red LED's in the door panels & handle.

I can find your wires though if u need them.

OP
OP

Eli6291649

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I got the OPT7 kit. It has the fuse plug in but my accessory fuse has a turn on wire for my amp already. So i dont know if i need to find another one or if i can just plug that in. The dome light feature has wires that i can add. In the instructions it just says to connect then to a dome light wire.
i would greatly appreciate the wire help!

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I got the OPT7 kit. It has the fuse plug in but my accessory fuse has a turn on wire for my amp already. So i dont know if i need to find another one or if i can just plug that in. The dome light feature has wires that i can add. In the instructions it just says to connect then to a dome light wire.
i would greatly appreciate the wire help!
Ok, I actually bought Opt7 too ?

Yea I wouldn't overload your accessory fuse (even though they are just LED's) just to be safe. I'll look for the wires shortly.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I found the roof light wire. It's on the harness running up the drivers side A-pillar.

There are 2 wires (depending on what the input requires for kit)

Red= INTR_LT_CUT_RLY_OUT which is the Positive coming out of the relay cut for turning off the interior lights.

LT Grn= INTR_LIGHT- which is the second wire coming from the roof light, which is negative.

I have attached pictures of the wire harness location.

As for the accessory wire, you could tap into the power socket.

Honda Civic 10th gen Accessory lights 20220220_154206

Honda Civic 10th gen Accessory lights 20220220_155739

Honda Civic 10th gen Accessory lights 20220220_154007

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
This is a great mod. I remember buying a kit off you awhile back. ??

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T, 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Country flag
I am looking into putting foot well LEDs in. I tried tapping the fuse under the hood for the dome light but that didn't work. I want to put in a relay, to protect the OEM wiring, which wire would I use for the trigger? To me, it seems like I'd used the Red (Pin 8) wire.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I am looking into putting foot well LEDs in. I tried tapping the fuse under the hood for the dome light but that didn't work. I want to put in a relay, to protect the OEM wiring, which wire would I use for the trigger? To me, it seems like I'd used the Red (Pin 8) wire.
I would check your footwell kit, to see what kind of input it requires (usually +)

I know on my kit, it has 2 separate inputs. One for illumination (when to turn on), and one for door trigger (to switch to white, when opening doors)

You usually just want them to turn on with headlights.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would check your footwell kit, to see what kind of input it requires (usually +)

I know on my kit, it has 2 separate inputs. One for illumination (when to turn on), and one for door trigger (to switch to white, when opening doors)

You usually just want them to turn on with headlights.
I just want the new LEDs on when the doors open, and off when closed. I would think I just need the trigger wire for this function to activate a relay that will switch power to the new LEDs. I don't have a kit with a controller, it just came with a simple on/off toggle switch which I'm not using.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Ok, yea you could just use a regular 4 wire relay. You could wire it up just like this, but instead of "remote turn on lead" you would use door trigger "positive wire" and then run the wire from that 30 terminal to your LED positive wire.

Honda Civic 10th gen Accessory lights addremacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I appreciate the diagram and I went to the watermarked website, wow tons of useful information! So now my issue is, I found that 132 connector in the left pillar BUT mine has more pins possibly due to me having a sun roof? Unfortunately the wires don't line up with what was previously posted. Will poke around and follow up, but if anyone has the pin out for the different connector that'd be great.

Edit - my map lights always came on with my backseat dome light as well...which makes me believe there is a different schematic for my vehicle :( 2017 Civic EX-T

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I found the proper red wire in my harness.

Took out A-pillar cover and map light assembly.

Activated map lights by opening door, unplugged a-pillar connection - lights off - plug in - lights on.

With door open (lights on) I unplugged the 3pin connector in the map light - lights off - clicked map light switch - stayed off - plug in - lights on

From this I figured the wire was in the harness. There is a thicker red wire on both sides, seeing as everything else shows red I figured give that a shot.

Unplugged BOTH A-pillar and 3pin map light -set meter to continuity test - probe both red pins - have continuity

So this thicker red wire is clearly the same end to end.

Plugged in A-pillar harness - left map unplugged - set meter to VDC - probe thick red wire pin to ground - door closed 0 VDC - door open 12 VDC - closed 0 VDC

So the thick red wire is confirmed a trigger for the lights.

My HELLA relay however, was a different issue. I wired it up according to the provided diagrams and got nothing. After some head scratches I took the relay out of the wire harness base and realized the wire numbers did not correlate to the proper pin numbers. I made some new wire labels and properly labeled the wire harness base, then rewired accordingly, and whalla, I have achieved my mission.

The footwell lights work with keyless lock/unlock and doors open/closed.

Thanks for thr help, hope this helps someone in the future.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea that site has a lot of great information, it's been around for awhile.

Awesome, I'm glad you got it working. Yea, your harness is most likely different due to it having a sunroof, but you eventually got it there. I'm glad you tested the wires instead of just connecting into an unknown wire, you would be surprised how many people just think all red wires are 12v lol.
Sponsored