2019 civic sport engine vs 2006 civic LX engine?

civic4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic LX
How is the civic sport engine's compare to 2006 civic engine? I'm in the market for a new car and 2019 sport fits my needs but kind of concern about the how people are saying sport's engine might be restricted to justify the new turbo engine. Specifically I'm worry about how the sport's engine acceleration works compare to 2006 as I do a lot of high way merging everyday to/from work.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Deleted member

Power to weight ratio.

Weight numbers pulled from Google so they could be off depending on trim-

2006 LX Coupe - 140hp / 2654lbs = 0.052
2006 LX Sedan - 140hp / 2751lbs = 0.050

2018 Civic LX Coupe - 158hp / 2752lbs = 0.057
2018 Civic LX Sedan - 158hp / 2751 = 0.057

Crude math, ignoring gearing, and assuming the 2019 sport isn't much heavier than the 2018- it's going to be a little quicker overall than a 2006 Civic was when it was brand new. Add in the fact that with age the 2006 model probably has lost a bit of power and the new one will definitely feel more peppy.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How is the civic sport engine's compare to 2006 civic engine? I'm in the market for a new car and 2019 sport fits my needs but kind of concern about the how people are saying sport's engine might be restricted to justify the new turbo engine. Specifically I'm worry about how the sport's engine acceleration works compare to 2006 as I do a lot of high way merging everyday to/from work.

Thanks.
The K20C2 makes 158 hp @ 6500 RPM and 138 ft-lbs of torque at 4200 RPM.

It compares pretty directly the the Si engine from the year before your '06 and the base RSX engine. If you had a '06 Si, the first year of the 8th gen, it would have roughly a 40 hp deficit. Low end and midrange is pretty similar, but the VTEC crossover happens later, with a much lower redline.

I owned both a base RSX and a Type-S about 10 years ago. The Bases A3 that made almost the exact same output was a very competent engine... with plenty of day-to-day power and decent efficiency. It however, didn't have the kind of power that would make the car very fun, in my opinion. The Civic will be a bit heavier than the RSX which won't help things either... and I think the plan is to have 18s on the new sport, in contrast to some very light wheels the RSXs came with. If you had a non-Si... I think they were still putting the R18 in Civics back then. It would, in that case, be a substantial step up in power.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
The K20C2 makes 158 hp @ 6500 RPM and 138 ft-lbs of torque at 4200 RPM.

It compares pretty directly the the Si engine from the year before your '06 and the base RSX engine. If you had a '06 Si, the first year of the 8th gen, it would have roughly a 40 hp deficit. Low end and midrange is pretty similar, but the VTEC crossover happens later, with a much lower redline.

I owned both a base RSX and a Type-S about 10 years ago. The Bases A3 that made almost the exact same output was a very competent engine... with plenty of day-to-day power and decent efficiency. It however, didn't have the kind of power that would make the car very fun, in my opinion. The Civic will be a bit heavier than the RSX which won't help things either... and I think the plan is to have 18s on the new sport, in contrast to some very light wheels the RSXs came with. If you had a non-Si... I think they were still putting the R18 in Civics back then. It would, in that case, be a substantial step up in power.
I had an EP3 for about 6 years, and while it was never a car I would call fast, it was still pretty fun to drive. Power wise it didnt make much on the top end, it felt more like it had more in the low to mid range. Lighter wheels, a larger rear sway bar and an intake were my only mods for a long time. Closer to when I was getting rid of it I had TypeR struts/springs installed. At the time I only had one car that was quicker than it, which was my Impreza RS.

On the other hand the chassis could have made it more fun than say a sedan or coupe

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
No offence but the 1.8L was just about the least exciting engine Honda ever made.
The 2.0 in the base Civic is a vast improvement already and it would have been my choice if available in the Hatch.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
These are the cars I had and all were manual:

2007 Civic R18 1.8

2006 RSX K20a3

2014 Civic Si

2016 Civic K20c5?

The 2016 K20 is a big step up from the R18 and is also a step up from the K20a3 in the rsx. There was no V-tec change over on the A3 but the K20 in the 2016+ civic differently has proper v tec.

With some of the issue coming out on the 1.5t now, I would stick with the 2.0 for now. Even here in Canada they dropped the EX-t in favour for a sport with the 2.0.
Sponsored