2017 Honda Civic EX-T w/ Honda Sensing

mperez112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hi all,

I just joined this group as a recommendation. I'm certainly no car guru so please take it easy on me. I realized I may have made a very expensive mistake. I had recently purchased a 2017 Honda Civic EX-T used with 37k miles. It wasn't until a day later someone had told me that this car has bad issues with people who have short commutes. This car will primarily be used as a vehicle to get me to and from work, which at the moment is only about 11 miles per day during the week. I loved everything about the car and honestly didn't care about the turbo engine, I was too obsessed with the look and features and wasn't warned about anything with th engine and oil dilution issues.

I guess my main question is... am I completely screwed? I was hoping to have this car for a long time, but I want to know how likely it is that I've made a huge financial mistake and what are some things I can do to reduce the likelihood of car problems. Thank you all!!

Edit: I also live in Chicago, so our winter's can get pretty cold
Sponsored

Last edited:

AegeanBlueFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
I've got a 2016 EX-T. I've owned it since March 2016.

I drive 5 miles to work (10 miles a day). Change the oil every 5000 miles.

No problems to report just yet.

zaidred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 EX-T
Country flag
Funnily enough, I bought the exact same car at 37k km. You have nothing to worry about. I’ve had mine for 2 years in the Canadian winter with no problems at all. Just do your oil changes regularly. Also just make sure the oil dilution update had been done on your car by checking your VIN on Honda’s website for recalls.
You didn’t make a mistake. Enjoy the car :)

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
If the car has been well cared for and not modified by the previous owner(s), the engine (the part of the car affected by oil dilution), should last well beyond 100,000 miles. Which is typical for most engines today. Just change the oil every 5,000 miles regardless of the "Maintenance Minder" and make sure that the "dilution" recall on the car has been done (reprogram software for heater).

The "oil dilution" scare has been overdone. Much of it by Honda-haters. I am not aware of a single engine failure because of oil dilution yet. Oil dilution will cause the engine to wear out faster, but engines typically outlive the rest of the car anyway, so maybe, the engine will only last 175,000 miles instead of 250,000 miles. Your transmission/electronics/exhaust/suspension/steering will probably not last as long as the engine.

There are other things you should be more worried about. Like the faulty aircon system, the easily chipped windscreen, the clunky electronics, the CVT.

Honda isn't the same company that it was in the 1980s and 1990s. If you were hoping to keep this car for 250,000 plus miles, you will be disappointed. In that case, you should have bought a Corolla or the 2017 Civic "EX".

Last edited:

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Hi all,

I just joined this group as a recommendation. I'm certainly no car guru so please take it easy on me. I realized I may have made a very expensive mistake. I had recently purchased a 2017 Honda Civic EX-T used with 37k miles. It wasn't until a day later someone had told me that this car has bad issues with people who have short commutes. This car will primarily be used as a vehicle to get me to and from work, which at the moment is only about 11 miles per day during the week. I loved everything about the car and honestly didn't care about the turbo engine, I was too obsessed with the look and features and wasn't warned about anything with th engine and oil dilution issues.

I guess my main question is... am I completely screwed? I was hoping to have this car for a long time, but I want to know how likely it is that I've made a huge financial mistake and what are some things I can do to reduce the likelihood of car problems. Thank you all!!

Edit: I also live in Chicago, so our winter's can get pretty cold
11 miles is a decent distance, the engine will have time to warm up. My neighbor works 4 miles away and has that car. hes had it for 3 years and no issues. We live in Ottawa where its not rare to get to -30c during the winter where its permanently below 0c for nearly 3 months. Keep the oil changes regular, look after the car and you wont have any issues.

OP
OP

mperez112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Funnily enough, I bought the exact same car at 37k km. You have nothing to worry about. I’ve had mine for 2 years in the Canadian winter with no problems at all. Just do your oil changes regularly. Also just make sure the oil dilution update had been done on your car by checking your VIN on Honda’s website for recalls.
You didn’t make a mistake. Enjoy the car :)
I just checked the VIN and it says that there are no open recalls. So does that mean I shouldn't have to worry about the oil dilution issue? Appreciate your response to look that up!

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I just checked the VIN and it says that there are no open recalls. So does that mean I shouldn't have to worry about the oil dilution issue? Appreciate your response to look that up!
If its not on the list then I would say you're all good. Still as part of preventative maintenance keep up with oil changes (Synthetic only!) and keep an eye on the condition of the oil. I have the 2.0l and its good habit to see how the engine is doing.
Sponsored