2017 Civic Paint Issue

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
This happened right after a windshield replacement on my 17 ex-t. I'm thinking either the installer added too much heat, and got the paint, epoxy remover got spilled onto the paint or epoxy got spilled and I was uninformed (Safelite did the repair)
Now that you say that, I'd say that's definitely the case of epoxy getting onto the paint. I would take it to a detailer and have them check it out and see if it can be wet sanded away, and just polished after.
Sponsored

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe, 1992 Acura integra
Now that you say that, I'd say that's definitely the case of epoxy getting onto the paint. I would take it to a detailer and have them check it out and see if it can be wet sanded away, and just polished after.
Before I take it anywhere, I'm going to take this up with Safelite. Make them pay for it. It should not be my problem with them ruining my paint. And hopefully I can get some cash for a carbon fiber one anyways

Wiklundofc

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Sport CVT
I have these spots on the hood (4), and other similar spots on other places all over the car.
When I talked to my dealer they said Honda had told them to use a heat gun to remove the spots.

Using a heat gun felt ridiculous to me so I told them no, that's not going to happen.
Currently waiting for a response from Honda Sweden.

I bought this car about four months ago and I'm pretty livid.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Paint Issue 22164106_10159408136785187_1788426654_o

rpierce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatchback
Well looks like I'm joining the club. My sonic gray pearl sport hatch has a bunch of these little cloudy spots on the hatch and the roof, and they seem to be in little groups/bunches. I honestly won't be surprised if he finds them on more panels. I took it to a collision repair center a good friend works at for some minor bumper repair after a teenage girl hit me in a parking lot and hes been sending me pictures as he finds these spots. He was going to try to buff them for me but I told him to hold off just in case Honda tries to pull something and tries to deny repair because of it.

I'm honestly not sure what to do, after reading some of these stories I don't really trust the repair work they're going to give me. On the other hand I really hate the fact it looks like my car has a bunch of permanent greasy palm prints on it...

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Paint Issue jhALIrD

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Paint Issue pzV5ROC
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Paint Issue RZetBL0

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
I had quite a few spots on my blue 17 hatch. They almost had a matte sheen to them and no texture difference. I used elbow grease, a microfiber, and Meguire’s ultimate polish to rub them out. They are completely gone.

Last edited:

Mhowe23

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
The rail rust has been bothering me so I went to the dealership and talked to them today. They said to drop it off tomorrow and they will take care of it. The person I talked to said he used to work at Chevy and they would just buff it out and that would take care of it. He said he's going to check to see how Honda has it fixed but regardless they will fix it
IMG_3252.JPG
Anyone with a lighter color car see these kind of spots on the paint? Tiny dots that have a rust like color to them. I noticed that it's all over the car if I look hard enough. I tried clay baring it, but it's in the clear coat, or even base coat. I didn't think I noticed them before, but apparently it was on the car the first week I had it because the area with the PPF/clear bra(which I put on the same week I got the car) also has them. So it couldn't be crap from the air. Or perhaps they developed overtime?

If they came with the car, then whatever, I'm not gonna have the car repainted. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

rpierce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatchback
Update for me:

I took my car to the dealership 2 months ago for the ~10k mile check up and an oil change just to make sure everything was good, and at the same time I had them check out the spots that I posted pictures of in Post #124.

Well, they tried to tell me that they "are most likely from bird droppings" and that they can't make a decision until a honda rep looks it over. They were supposed to call me a few weeks from then. I have still heard nothing.

I'm about to go to a different dealership to see what happens.

Mhowe23

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Lol there is no way it's from bird droppings. As soon as I started to talk about tiny rust specks the service advisor knew exactly what I was talking about. He said every car transported by rail gets that it just shows up on white more. he had me take a few pictures and I sent them to him this morning. He is going to contact their Honda rap and they will most likely have me take it to a really good body shop that is down the road and they are going to clay bar it

Update for me:

I took my car to the dealership 2 months ago for the ~10k mile check up and an oil change just to make sure everything was good, and at the same time I had them check out the spots that I posted pictures of in Post #124.

Well, they tried to tell me that they "are most likely from bird droppings" and that they can't make a decision until a honda rep looks it over. They were supposed to call me a few weeks from then. I have still heard nothing.

I'm about to go to a different dealership to see what happens.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen comments in this post like ,"its under warranty,they have to fix it ",and "any dealer should help", and " we have to call corporate"
I was just told today, that no dealership HAS to perform warranty work,not even the one you bought the car from. They also said that corporate Honda,America in my case couldn't make them do anything. This conversation arose because i was trying to get another dealer to work on my car after about six trips to the one I got it from,and nothing being fixed. And was told to do this by Honda America. They didn't refuse to help me, but they were a little hesitant to get into something the first dealer had been screwing with.
Didn't mean to hijack this thread, i don't have the paint issue, but it sounds like the op is/was having a difficult time with his dealer, and some guys are under the assumption that a dealer has to fix it. I was too until today :(

Last edited:

markyz07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought my Civic Hatch Sport in February. I have noticed some spots on my paint, and I cannot figure out what it could be from. At first, I thought I had done something wrong, but after noticing more of the same spots, I am beginning to wonder what is going on. I wanted to post this with pictures to see if anyone could share their thoughts!

IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

I had the same spots on my paint and I only noticed them the day after I picked up my car. They're burn from bird drops that haven't been washed and left under the sun. Basically, the acid from the poo burned through the clear coat. I was able to removed mine using Meguiar's M105 (http://amzn.to/2opwYNb)

Amen111

First Name
MOhammad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 lx
Country flag
Well looks like I'm joining the club. My sonic gray pearl sport hatch has a bunch of these little cloudy spots on the hatch and the roof, and they seem to be in little groups/bunches. I honestly won't be surprised if he finds them on more panels. I took it to a collision repair center a good friend works at for some minor bumper repair after a teenage girl hit me in a parking lot and hes been sending me pictures as he finds these spots. He was going to try to buff them for me but I told him to hold off just in case Honda tries to pull something and tries to deny repair because of it.

I'm honestly not sure what to do, after reading some of these stories I don't really trust the repair work they're going to give me. On the other hand I really hate the fact it looks like my car has a bunch of permanent greasy palm prints on it...

jhALIrD.jpg

pzV5ROC.jpg
RZetBL0.jpg
This similar to what I have on my car
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Paint Issue 20201013_162445
Sponsored