1.5T 6Speed MT vs. 1.5T CVT Performance Test

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
Sorry about the chinese again, but this shows a head-to-head race between 10th civic vs 9th SI.
I don't understand most of it, but it's easy to deduce what's happening.
10th civic (CVT) won 1/4 mile and braking, but lost around the track: 1:22.64 vs 1:19.53
On the graph, you can see where the SI looses speed with each shift.

Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5T 6Speed MT vs. 1.5T CVT Performance Test ruz9yu
Sponsored

Last edited:

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
just curious if you know how the CVT works? not trying to be a smartass but cvt doesn't switch. Also i wouldn't have bought this car for the driving experience. If you wanted a car for the driving experience you should have waited for the manual turbo, the si, or the type R. I beleive like me and everyone else who bought this car excluding a good amount of others like yourself we got this car to be a good daily driver that is good on gas.
Once you get beyond the advertisement, the video shows you how a CVT works. CVT has been the standard transmission used for Snowmobiles for many years. With the Snowmobile the belt used is a rubber belt reinforced with Kevlar or fiberglass. With the car, the belt is metal. This video does a good job explaining the CVT concept and shows you how the transmission changes ratio's without using gears.

jackquelegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2015 BMW 328i xDrive
Country flag
Sorry about the chinese again, but this shows a head-to-head race between 10th civic vs 9th SI.
I don't understand most of it, but it's easy to deduce what's happening.
10th civic (CVT) won 1/4 mile and braking, but lost around the track: 1:22.64 vs 1:19.53
On the graph, you can see where the SI looses speed with each shift.
From what I heard (for the track race) the CVT + Turbo struggled to keep boost on through the corners and the NA SI was able to catch up. As well the 9th gen Si had LSD helping it to corner better. The commentator concluded that despite having better suspensions and wider tires, the civicX was not able to beat the SI, but given that the CivicX tested is aimed as a family friendly car the results it achieved is very respectable.

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
The turbo has wider tires but definitely less grippy tires. That makes a world of difference in the track. But braking was better despite the tires which is surprising
Sponsored