2.0 vs 1.5T

OP
OP

d_park2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord v6
I think a lot of the bugs have been worked out by now...my car was manufactured 7/2016, all the issues everyone complain about, I have none...may creep up, but maybe everything was all updated, maybe I am just lucky? If you can wait, I would say wait, but I wondered about the turbo reliability...Honda won't just release the car without tests, especially with the civic, its extremely reliable in the past. I never did drive the 2.0 after driving the turbo, I knew this was the one for me
Thanks! Which trim of the Turbo did you go with?
Sponsored

OP
OP

d_park2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord v6
Yeah
Two of the main reasons I went with the EX 2.0: a non-turboed engine and the simplicity and efficiency of a CVT. (My last car is/was a bi-turboed Audi. $2000 for a timing belt replacement. Never again.)

The Acura ILX was intriguing but I prefer the smaller 2.0 motor and wonder, in the back of my mind, how the cool, paddle shifter equipped, dual clutch Acura 8 speed transmission will age compared to the CVT. Lots of moving parts. And is that worth a 35 to fifty percent premium over the simple Civic?

My only disappointments with the EX 2.0 were the lack of leather (cheap seats) and on-going CarPlay issues. Other than that, I've had more fun with this car than a high school kid with a new MG.

I put my money on the Civic. I plan to run this car 'til the wheels fall off. YMMV.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. I want a conventional and simple motor. I think the 2.0 is a derivative of the 1.8 in the 06-15 Civic, just updated with DOHC. I like that the 2.0 maintains MPFI instead of GDI, so carbon build up shouldn't be an issue down the road. The EX seems to be the best value, and there is a lot of features for the money. I'm just looking for a reliable commuter car that can handle a corner every now and again. Gas mileage is kind of a priority for me lol

OP
OP

d_park2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord v6
To be honest, if I had known a lot of the bells and whistles were on the LX (which they are, i.e. Carplay and AA) I would have went for the LX in a heart beat if it had a sunroof. That was honestly my number one deal breaker.

I think both engines will last well beyond 200K miles, with proper maintenance of course. As for the timing belts, that's why a lot of them changed over to timing chains, and aside from the 3.5L V6 engines Honda has with the timing belt, I have yet to see a timing chain on any civic platform (8th gen or newer) that had to be replaced. You're in good hands!
I'm 6'8, and I currently drive a 2001 Accord v6 with a sunroof. I never use the sunroof, and I would go for the LX since it d
To be honest, if I had known a lot of the bells and whistles were on the LX (which they are, i.e. Carplay and AA) I would have went for the LX in a heart beat if it had a sunroof. That was honestly my number one deal breaker.

I think both engines will last well beyond 200K miles, with proper maintenance of course. As for the timing belts, that's why a lot of them changed over to timing chains, and aside from the 3.5L V6 engines Honda has with the timing belt, I have yet to see a timing chain on any civic platform (8th gen or newer) that had to be replaced. You're in good hands!
I'm 6'8, and rarely use the sunroof in my 01 Accord. So I would go for the LX since it doesn't have a sunroof, but the LX doesn't have everything I want. Do you know if I would be able to special-order an EX without a sunroof, perhaps?

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
Thanks! Which trim of the Turbo did you go with?
Just ext... For $1200, added turbo, fog lights, dual climate, and rear deck spoiler, it was hard to beat

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Yeah

Yes, that's what I was thinking. I want a conventional and simple motor. I think the 2.0 is a derivative of the 1.8 in the 06-15 Civic, just updated with DOHC. I like that the 2.0 maintains MPFI instead of GDI, so carbon build up shouldn't be an issue down the road. The EX seems to be the best value, and there is a lot of features for the money. I'm just looking for a reliable commuter car that can handle a corner every now and again. Gas mileage is kind of a priority for me lol
Thankfully no, it is not based on the garbage SOHC R-series, but the K24W1 engine in the base Accord, and the Type-R 2.0T.

http://hondanews.com/releases/2016-honda-civic-sedan-press-kit-powertrain?page=2

2.0-Liter In-Line 4 Cylinder
Related to the European Civic Type-R 2.0 liter turbo charged engine, the Civic's new standard 2.0-liter i-VTEC powerplant produces more horsepower and torque at all operating speeds compared to the 1.8-liter engine it replaces.
The all-new base engine is a 2.0-liter 16-Valve DOHC i-VTEC® that is related to the 2.4-liter engine offered in the larger Accord

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
How many were affected? Don't think any automaker has a 'perfect' record.
I don't think anyone knows for sure, and I couldn't find a definitive number myself.

Obviously no manufacturer is perfect, but this was, by far, Honda's cheapest made engine to date. The cost-cutting measures simply went too far.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Sometimes the engineers just get it wrong. "But our calculations said..." ;)
Honda makes some of the best motors in the world imho, with some of the best engineers, and I personally think it was the bean counters dictating design parameters to the engineers all for the sake of profit margins that did this. And when that happens, even the best engineers cannot always save the day. But that's just how it happens sometimes. Thankfully Honda has begun to change their approach with the 10th gen.

rkindel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback, 2010 Mazda MX-5 GT
The 1.5 turbo is a fine engine. It offers a nice torque and power boost for just a little more money. That said, the 2 liter engine offers some advantages of its own.
1. less complexity
2. less weight- 100 lbs. less over the front wheels. so-better balance with, theoretically, less understeer.
3. proven Honda VTEC design. And last but not least I think it would be easier to achieve EPA milage estimates than with the turbo. Dip into turbo very much and the mileage suffers big time.

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
Do you know if I would be able to special-order an EX without a sunroof, perhaps?
On a mass-market car like the Civic, there is no longer any such thing as a special order car. You get what they got.
Sponsored