TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh yeah, that is a lot of smoke. It does look like you are burning oil
That’s after I went WOT in 3rd gear and parked it, when I’m driving/cruising there is smoke behind me but not as bad as this, as the engine coolant temp 2 gets hotter though, that’s when I notice it will start smoking more while idling or waiting for a stop light.
Sponsored

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Time to test your headgasket, you can pick up a bottle fluid test for your radiator system. Any parts store.

If you have a buddy with a cylinder compression tester I'd do that to.

Also start to plan that dealership trip. Return everything to stock and factory flash before going in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Time to test you're headgasket, you can pick up a bottle fluid test for your radiator system. Any parts store.

If you have a buddy with a cylinder compression tester I'd do that to.

Also start to plan that dealership trip. Return everything to stock and factory flash before going in.
Thanks for the advice! I’m going to head to a friends place tomorrow and check just about everything, is the bottle fluid test for the radiator like those suction tube thing? I’m gonna have to ask around and see if I know anybody who has a cylinder compression tester.
ahhh mannn I gotta go back to stock? I just put in the new downpipe Monday lmao, I also have a PRL Cobra street intake waiting for me to get it installed sadly :cry: lol

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks for the advice! I’m going to head to a friends place tomorrow and check just about everything, is the bottle fluid test for the radiator like those suction tube thing? I’m gonna have to ask around and see if I know anybody who has a cylinder compression tester.
ahhh mannn I gotta go back to stock? I just put in the new downpipe Monday lmao, I also have a PRL Cobra street intake waiting for me to get it installed sadly :cry: lol
Yup suction tube thing. And haha yah trust me you dont want to go in there with anything on. Not even the tune.

I wish the luck on the warranty claim!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Yes, @kshawn is totally right, it looks like a mixture of oil/coolant coming out of your exhaust, and the reason the smoke is white. One of the pitfalls of modding, especially with Bolt-ons is having to return to stock, which is not always easy! Whatever caused the issue you are having, you don't want the dealership to immediately blame it on your modifications, because they might

Reactions: TSI

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup suction tube thing. And haha yah trust me you dont want to go in there with anything on. Not even the tune.

I wish the luck on the warranty claim!
Yes, @kshawn is totally right, it looks like a mixture of oil/coolant coming out of your exhaust, and the reason the smoke is white. One of the pitfalls of modding, especially with Bolt-ons is having to return to stock, which is not always easy! Whatever caused the issue you are having, you don't want the dealership to immediately blame it on your modifications, because they might
I'm wondering if it wasn't for the downpipe install, if I would've even noticed I were burning oil or anything, it wasn't doing it before but only after the downpipe installation that's when the white smoke were more present, I'm guessing the stock cat really masked off the smoke to where the car "looked" fine bc if sure feels/drives fine. Welp thank god for the catless downpipe for letting me know AHEAD of time of what was about to come.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
You may have a Blown Turbos Seal. You are spooling much faster and the EGTs climb higher.
That Catless DP should have you running richer than you should.
However, some white smoke at warmup can be expected, as it is simply condensation vapor. But, you could have other issues that relate to coolant leaking into your combustion?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
BTW, any worthwhile tech that does so happen to look at the car (engine) will see that parts were replaced at one point. Hard to disguise that.

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Smoke issues fixed or nah?
Nah not yet, I recently checked my oil level and it was overfilled by whoever did it at the dealership, so I changed it myself hoping that was the cause of the excess smoke, seems to be a “little” better but haven’t really drove it around enough to gauge it well. These are the pics though, of the overfilled oil. I’ll update possibly by the end of this week to see how the cars running.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL downpipe install, white smoke bellowing out of exhaust 58683B91-5AAE-4F6E-8D90-70189FE9B1F9

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL downpipe install, white smoke bellowing out of exhaust 9D202A8A-FA15-4FE1-8F5F-6AF7FF73D91F

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL downpipe install, white smoke bellowing out of exhaust B467D89B-800D-4F76-B882-BC6B81A2B94C

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL downpipe install, white smoke bellowing out of exhaust 93E01FC0-8885-4471-BF42-9604B1678F61

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
your not burning oil or coolant its just vapor. when you are buring oil the smoke is blue and for coolant its white but smells like coolant of course. Most likley its for overfulling with oil or its a bad exhaust gasket problem. Make sure your dp bolts are all tight and exhaust bolts are as well maybe one of your gaskets it missed up. My Wifes stock hatchback 1.5t smokes to but not alot like yours a little smoke at idle is normal.

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
your not burning oil or coolant its just vapor. when you are buring oil the smoke is blue and for coolant its white but smells like coolant of course. Most likley its for overfulling with oil or its a bad exhaust gasket problem. Make sure your dp bolts are all tight and exhaust bolts are as well maybe one of your gaskets it missed up. My Wifes stock hatchback 1.5t smokes to but not alot like yours a little smoke at idle is normal.
Hmmm the gasket PRL provides that connects the downpipe to the front pipe, while opening the packets I think maybe my father in law “may” have bent it, there were lines on 3 different sides of it, didn’t think too much of it but maybe that could be the cause of it also?

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Hmmm the gasket PRL provides that connects the downpipe to the front pipe, while opening the packets I think maybe my father in law “may” have bent it, there were lines on 3 different sides of it, didn’t think too much of it but maybe that could be the cause of it also?
thats its, the gasket fix it and see what happends. If you seen the gasket was damaged its leaking

Last edited:

17SIYoDood

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Country flag
I think the turbo seals are shot. I wonder if op has a turbo timer/idled engine for a minute before turning off etc... just my .02.

OP
OP
TSI

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the turbo seals are shot. I wonder if op has a turbo timer/idled engine for a minute before turning off etc... just my .02.
I don’t have a turbo timer but I def do have a timer in my head when I know I’ve been on it hard, after a spirited drive I do let the car idle for more than a minute majority of the time.
Sponsored