Really...??? Your thoughts???

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
I was never buying in the Si market but I'm sure most will be disapointed. Who knows maybe the car will drive and handle quite well with 1.5 engine.

Coming from a Fiesta ST with a Cobb stage 1 tune the car has ample power for FWD. I still smoke the tires if I just try to drop the clutch under hard throttle. The car is more of a fun daily driver but can still be pushed on a track for under 20k.

I would say just don't give up on it until you actually see some seat time or at least some reviews.

If most of you still want more power and performance Honda is bring the Type R to fill the void. (Pray Honda will make enough so some people can get them without to huge of a markup)

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Curios to see engine/trans specs between the sport hatch and the Si. Going to be cray if a tune, LSD and coilovers get you an Si.
Active dampening is different than coilovers. The shocks automatically stiffen (or loosen) based upon sensors reading braking, acceleration and cornering. SO, you can run the shocks (and springs) softer and still have good handling. I was OK with really stiff cars until I turned 50. YMMV.

Here's a good video on how Honda used active suspension in the Accura to attain performance and comfort:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Hatchback Sport with a tune vs an Si?
What's the difference?
That's a very good question - my hunch is that the active suspension and the LSD are going to make a larger difference than we realize. I had a Taurus SHO once. 240 hp. Very difficult to steer straight when you were on the gas - and I bet that car had 800 pounds on the Honda. LSD is going to be critical for >200 hp. And if the new active suspension is REALLY active and done well, it might make the Si handle very much like the Type R. This could be a game changer. The focus would be handling rather than brute force. Would this make a difference to your shopping list?
I remember that SHO well! My buddy had one back in the day, and I too have had some torque-steering over-powered FWD cars too.

However, my GTI is over 300HP and has no torque steer and no LSD. Some GTI have LSD (PP models) which greatly improves handling, but doesn't help with drag racing.

Would a great handling Si appeal to me? No. My GTI handles WAY better than I will ever exploit, and I am more concerned in overall power.

I was hoping for an Si that could replace my GTI, and that I could realize similar potential. On my journey through cars 2.0T SI was next on my list. Now I am considering a Golf R as the next purchase.

HatchbackKev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport, 2003 Civic EX coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I get the people being upset by I'm alarmed at all the comparisons with VW. I'm sorry your GTI is faster and more enthusiast friendly but my 03 civic coupe will still be on the road when your GTI and golf R are rusting at a junkyard in dirtville. Sorry to get all brand defensive but every experience I've had with VW has left me laughing at their existence. There's more to a car than just being fast off the lot. I have a friend who had a Jetta that was only a few years old and that car literally self destructed. Everything broke on it, parts of the door actually fell off at one point, the inside cloth material had starting peeling off all around the passenger door. That car was a joke. Now that I went way off topic let me get back to the Si. I do see the disappointment with the 1.5 vs the 2.0 and even though I made my choice with the hatch I was rooting for the 2.0 along with everyone. All I can say is this car better have a great price point because that was the only argument I thought was valid for the 1.5. Obviously we can't have an Si that people can't afford. I actually really like the 1.5 and I think it's quite fast for what it is but as mentioned before this choice will hinder the modding potential. Let's hope all of this talk about handling really does make a difference and the driving experience is a good one. I've always thought Honda did a good job in that department. All I know is the sport hatch is really fun to drive so if your upset at the Si I recommend giving the sport hatch a try.
-Hatchback Kev

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I get the people being upset by I'm alarmed at all the comparisons with VW. I'm sorry your GTI is faster and more enthusiast friendly but my 03 civic coupe will still be on the road when your GTI and golf R are rusting at a junkyard in dirtville. Sorry to get all brand defensive but every experience I've had with VW has left me laughing at their existence. There's more to a car than just being fast off the lot. I have a friend who had a Jetta that was only a few years old and that car literally self destructed. Everything broke on it, parts of the door actually fell off at one point, the inside cloth material had starting peeling off all around the passenger door. That car was a joke. Now that I went way off topic let me get back to the Si. I do see the disappointment with the 1.5 vs the 2.0 and even though I made my choice with the hatch I was rooting for the 2.0 along with everyone. All I can say is this car better have a great price point because that was the only argument I thought was valid for the 1.5. Obviously we can't have an Si that people can't afford. I actually really like the 1.5 and I think it's quite fast for what it is but as mentioned before this choice will hinder the modding potential. Let's hope all of this talk about handling really does make a difference and the driving experience is a good one. I've always thought Honda did a good job in that department. All I know is the sport hatch is really fun to drive so if your upset at the Si I recommend giving the sport hatch a try.
-Hatchback Kev
ah yes, cue the Honda fanboi. I have a 30 yr old Honda, and I don't expect my GTI to last as long. Hey, have a good time keeping your worn out turbo, obsolete infotainment system having Honda on the road longer than my GTI, which I will get rid of long before it ever gives me trouble. You can pat yourself on the back for keeping your junker longer than anyone else. Some cars are keepers, some are door knobs. Your new Honda will be worn out and obsolete just as quick as any other non-Honda you wish to bash. Honda-they don't make 'em like they used to.

HatchbackKev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Uh oh did I make you butthurt about your VW? I'm sorry man. I figured you'd try to attack me for that. Enjoy your fake engine noise ... (drops mic)

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
Active dampening is different than coilovers. The shocks automatically stiffen (or loosen) based upon sensors reading braking, acceleration and cornering. SO, you can run the shocks (and springs) softer and still have good handling. I was OK with really stiff cars until I turned 50. YMMV.

Here's a good video on how Honda used active suspension in the Accura to attain performance and comfort:

Pretty brilliant. I wonder how long sensors et al will last.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Uh oh did I make you butthurt about your VW? I'm sorry man. I figured you'd try to attack me for that. Enjoy your fake engine noise ... (drops mic)
if it makes you feel better. and no, my soundaktor is disabled. no fake noises for me!

cheers to telling yourself you have a car that will last way longer than that other car....

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Sheesh guys. Chill. Both Honda and VW make some great cars. Different strokes for different folks. Too bad we can't just share a beer (German) together.

HatchbackKev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree man and I'd be down with the beer idea. I'm just joking around a little bit here because everyone is so down in right now. just trying to lighten the mood some.

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Pretty brilliant. I wonder how long sensors et al will last.
Yeah - It looks like they are higher maintenance regular shocks, and they have had some problems on the Acuras with them as well.
OTOH, it sure would be nice to have less brake dive, flatter cornering and less squat on acceleration without needing to have shocks so stiff that your body gets rattled.

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
I agree man and I'd be down with the beer idea. I'm just joking around a little bit here because everyone is so down in right now. just trying to lighten the mood some.
If I really wanted to tweak you - I'd tell you that the 1.5 requires Premium gas as well....

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
I just traded a 2016 Golf R in for the F-150. Yes I have car ADD...

It was awesome and really quick with a simple APR tune. Pretty reliable. It I only got up to 11k miles. With one check engine light for a cylinder misfire before I had it tuned. They thought maybe some bad fuel. No issues after that.

I'm pretty sure that the MK7 Golf R will last longer than MK7 GTis because they are actually made in Germany. Time will tell.

If the Type R eludes me I may just wait for the next STi, Nissan Z car if they make one, or the next Mazda speed 3.

But I really really want this type R
Sponsored