K20C1: The Power of Dreams?

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
Okay, good news is we're getting the Type R...Bad news? We know close to nothing about it YET
Well, maybe except the engine...
Every news outlet I've read expects the current engine in the 9th gen Type R to be carried over to the 10th gen. *with more power? we'll find out I guess*
If that is case, then the engine in some of our future cars may well be the K20C1.
Honda Civic 10th gen K20C1: The Power of Dreams? b72dd98d0fd65fe7ea817ca30e81d627-1

Some highlights:
  • Monoscroll Turbo
  • Electronically Controlled Wastegate
  • Air to Air Intercooler
  • Slightly Oversquared/Short-Stroke
  • 9:8:1 Compression Ratio
And an excerpt from hondanewseu...

2. Characterful, high-revving all-new 2.0 litre VTEC TURBO engine with greater power, torque and response than any previous Honda production car engine

• Direct-injected turbocharged 2.0 litre VTEC TURBO petrol engine
  • Advanced technologies improve power, response and efficiency
  • Cooling systems allow high output and sustained high speed performance
  • Slick-shifting, six-speed manual transmission safeguards an intimate, rewarding connection with the driver
  • Four-exit exhaust is tuned for noise as well as performance

At the heart is an all-new, direct-injected turbocharged 2.0 litre VTEC TURBO petrol engine, which delivers power, torque and performance figures unmatched in the front-wheel drive hot hatch segment. Peak power output is 310 PS* at 6,500 rpm, and peak torque is 400 Nm* at 2,500 rpm – both higher than for any previous Honda Type R model.

Red-lining at 7,000 rpm, the engine – part of Honda’s next-generation Earth Dreams Technology series – features an advanced new turbocharging system which incorporates Honda’s legendary Variable Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) technology to boost low-end torque while delivering sustained acceleration.

Combining a turbocharger with Honda’s VTEC and VTC provides benefits in output, efficiency and packaging. VTC allows a degree of valve timing overlap which is finely controlled across a broad rev range to improve responsiveness and efficiency. VTEC varies the degree of exhaust valve lift to reduce turbo lag through increased exhaust pressure at lower rpm while delivering a high output at higher rpm. As a result of the benefits these technologies bring, a mono scroll turbocharger can be used to produce a class-leading peak output, while maintaining response at lower engine speeds and a high-revving power delivery. To further improve responsiveness, the turbo-charging system has an electronic wastegate offering a higher degree of freedom in induction pressure control.

The mono scroll turbocharger combines with cast aluminium pistons, aluminium VTEC rocker arms, forged conrods and a lightweight crankshaft to minimise the overall weight, size and rotational mass of the engine.

High precision combustion technologies assist with improving engine output and lead to improvements in fuel efficiency and competitive emissions. At the core is a direct injection system preventing fuel sticking to the intake ports by injecting directly into the cylinders and drawing only air through the ports, aided by Honda’s multipoint injection control. A high pressure (20MPa) injector is used to greatly increase fuel atomisation and is supported by an 85% improvement in flow rate and 45% increase in fuel pressure over conventional systems.

Honda’s engineers worked exhaustively to ensure that once the fuel has been injected into the cylinder, strong tumble intake ports promote fuel mixture consistency within the cylinder. The shapes of the intake port and piston crowns were optimised through extensive computer aided modelling and analysis to ensure they combine to generate a strong tumble flow. This optimises the fuel / air mixture and therefore the effectiveness of combustion. Idling Stop further enhances efficiency, and speedy ignition response assures the driver of rapid acceleration from standstill. The Idling Stop function is disabled in +R mode.

The new Civic Type R’s performance is unmatched in the front-wheel drive hot hatch segment: the 0-to-62 mph sprint takes just 5.7 seconds and top speed, where permitted, is a class-leading 167 mph. Despite this, the Civic Type R achieves low CO2emissions of just 170 g/km, high speed fuel consumption and compliance with Euro 6 emissions regulations.

The new engine has a high compression ratio of 9.8 and is turbocharged, both of which make thermal management particularly important. As a result, the engineering team incorporated numerous cooling technologies, such as cylinder head and piston cooling, sodium-filled exhaust valves and a high-capacity air-to-air intercooler. The cylinder head has a two-piece water jacket, lowering exhaust gas temperature and effectively lowering the combustion chamber temperature, while each piston individually features a cooling channel to provide increased oil flow. Together, these technologies ensure the engine always delivers a high output even under high load, high speed driving conditions

Whether setting lap times around race circuits, engaging the driver on a favourite country road or providing day-to-day comfort, an exceptional engine requires an exceptional transmission. A slick-shifting, six-speed manual transmission was chosen to safeguard an intimate, rewarding connection with the driver while making the most of the engine’s high output, strong torque and high revs.

The gear-change feel is designed to be the best in Type R history. Gear change speed relates directly to race circuit lap times, while gear change feel is fundamental to the joy of driving. The same 40mm shift stroke as the 2002 NSX-R contributes to an exceptionally quick shift time, but this would not be possible without at the same time reducing the force required to move the gear lever. A significant reduction in mechanical resistance has been achieved through a large capacity synchromesh, and vibration each time the clutch engages is supressed by a dual-mass flywheel. Through increasing the rigidity of each component part, shift control when shifting diagonally between second and third, fourth and fifth gears has been greatly enhanced.

Each of the six gear ratios has been optimised for performance and matches the engine’s output and torque curve. For example, the maximum speed of 167mph is achieved in sixth gear when peak power is reached at 6,500 rpm.

Final drive is through an exceptionally responsive helical limited slip differential. This type of differential aids strong cornering traction, even during hard cornering. This technology, when compared to a traditional differential, reduces the new Civic Type R’s lap time by three seconds per lap around the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

In keeping with the focus of the new Civic Type R, an oil cooler specific to the gearbox provides a cooling performance capable of enduring consistent high load situations such as those encountered on the race circuit. It’s fitted to the lower part of the transmission and is fed cool air by the fin-shaped transmission case which is matched to wind-channelling vanes in the engine undercover. Despite this addition, the use of a high-rigidity transmission case assists in making the new Civic Type R’s transmission the lightest in its class.

Making the purpose clear from the first moment the engine is started, the four-exit exhaust is tuned for sound as well as performance. The system is able to handle a higher exhaust gas flow rate due to a straightened pipe with deleted silencer in the front section, while the exhaust sound is enhanced by the deletion of the silencer generally used to dampen noise. Instead, a resonator in the rear section maintains noise within certification levels and reduces only specifically selected frequency bands. The exhaust’s mounting bushes have also been re-tuned to allow the inclusion of a secondary noise element within the overall sound while ensuring the exhaust sound increases in line with the torque of the engine.

So what can you guys tell about this engine?
Anything puzzling?
How similar is it to the rest of the K Series?
Is it revolutionary in anyway?
Does it remind you of another turbo 4 you know of?
Why do you think they went Monoscrolled?
Is 7000 rpm enough to make it stand out from the crowd?
Is VTEC as critical as it once was?

But MOST IMPORTANTLY *kidding, not really*
Can they fix the sound :dunno:?

Spread the knowledge!
Sponsored

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
I want one badly, coming from driving a k20z3 for the last 10 years, I need more exhaust note then the current type r offers. Hopefully the center exhaust currently on the test mules will be what we're all waiting for.

OP
OP
staylurkn

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I want one badly, coming from driving a k20z3 for the last 10 years, I need more exhaust note then the current type r offers. Hopefully the center exhaust currently on the test mules will be what we're all waiting for.
Thats my hope as well, even if they have a dedicated team to engineer the sound characteristics. It NEEDS to sound good, it's a Honda...

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
If you look at the euro spec R today, you should probably see very similar specs around the 10th gen. I don't believe the new R will be that much different from the 2015 Euro R, except the bodywork.

OP
OP
staylurkn

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you look at the euro spec R today, you should probably see very similar specs around the 10th gen. I don't believe the new R will be that much different from the 2015 Euro R, except the bodywork.
Yes and no. The Euro R is based on the Honda Fit platform while the 10th gen R will be on Hondas new universal platform. The new R will have independent rear suspension as a result, compared to the Euro Rs torsion beam rear. This i'd presume, along with other improvements (steering feel, engine sound) could elevate the 10th gen R into instant classic status.

Xyrex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 Honda Prelude

Seems like Milltek fixed the sound.

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
Yes and no. The Euro R is based on the Honda Fit platform while the 10th gen R will be on Hondas new universal platform. The new R will have independent rear suspension as a result, compared to the Euro Rs torsion beam rear. This i'd presume, along with other improvements (steering feel, engine sound) could elevate the 10th gen R into instant classic status.
I agree with this.

By saying "the chassis will be different" is a totally loaded statement. The chassis is what makes the car! IRS, weight reduction, chassis stiffening, aero, etc all pay into this concept.

The current Type R is extremely limited for what it is. It's framework foundation was like putting lipstick on a pig. Now, that pig tastes great, but there was SO MUCH left on the table.

OP
OP
staylurkn

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Milltek is an improvement, but still doesn't sound inspiring. I much prefer this :D I think they took the audio from the touring car, you can hear the Sequential gearbox shifts...

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
1st, there's 2 k20c1 engine threads not sure which to respond to. But this is the latest.

This is the old thread: http://www.civicx.com/threads/k20c1-engine-thread.9621/

Anyways, bumping this thread. I was trying to research what the stock boost pressure is for the K20C1. In case I want to do some modifications. ;):yes:

According to this article it's at around 20psi, stock: http://www.motortrend.com/news/honda-civic-type-r-euro-spec-first-drive-review/
I also found somewhere that it said about 23psi, but forgot where.

20 psi? Damn! That's pretty high for stock. No wonder they got 306hp. Seems like they maxed it out. My Mazdaspeed Miata came at 8psi stock. We typically double it to 16 or max around 18-20psi. I got 220whp from about 158hp doing that safely w/ bolt ons, stock internals. I think also similar for S13s redtop SR20DETs. For those of you that's trying to get more power, i can't imagine cranking it up to 30 psi. Sounds kinda crazy. Even if you do 25psi, sounds like it's pushing it.
So the next question is, what kind of internals does the K20C1 has? Can't find much. Only found some general engine info w/ broken pix links; https://hondakarma.com/threads/ever...-new-civic-type-r-fk2-k20c1.15956/live?page=1

I would assume w/ bolt ons; intake, dp, exhaust, maybe injectors? and a tune would get you about 350whp? Because I have to comply w/ Cali smog rules, I'm not goin to be doing much besides the front end w/ a clear bra..lol. Actually, I have an old school Arc BOV that i'll try to fit in...:headbang:

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #680 CW, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
1st, there's 2 k20c1 engine threads not sure which to respond to. But this is the latest.

Anyways, bumping this thread. I was trying to research what the stock boost pressure is for the K20C1. In case I want to do some modifications. ;):yes:

According to this article it's at around 20psi, stock: http://www.motortrend.com/news/honda-civic-type-r-euro-spec-first-drive-review/

20 psi? Damn! That's pretty high for stock. No wonder they got 306hp. Seems like they maxed it out. My Mazdaspeed Miata came at 8psi stock. We typically double it to 16 or max around 18-20psi. I got 220whp from about 158hp doing that safely w/ bolt ons, stock internals. I think also similar for S13s redtop SR20DETs. For those of you that's trying to get more power, i can't imagine cranking it up to 30 psi. Sounds kinda crazy. Even if you do 25psi, sounds like it's pushing it.
So the next question is, what kind of internals does the K20C1 has? Can't find much. Only found some general engine info w/ broken pix links; https://hondakarma.com/threads/ever...-new-civic-type-r-fk2-k20c1.15956/live?page=1

I would assume w/ bolt ons; intake, dp, exhaust, maybe injectors? and a tune would get you about 350whp? Because I have to comply w/ Cali smog rules, I'm not goin to be doing much besides the front end w/ a clear bra..lol. Actually, I have an old school Arc BOV that i'll try to fit in...:headbang:
Well per Motor Trend the outgoing euro version was pushing 20.3 psi

Boost begins to build in the 2,000-rpm range, and in higher gears, the digital gauge will show 1.3 bars (18.9 psi) by about 2,750 rpm. It peaks right at 4,000 rpm (1.4 bars, or 20.3 psi), and the turbo is big enough to still be pressuring the intake to 1.2 bars (17.4) until right before the 7,000-rpm limiter. Meaning? This is a turbocharged engine that pulls and pulls — at least by turbo engine standards.

NiltyTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTi

Boost pressure is not really the way to judge what is "a lot". 20psi out of a tiny turbo is less than 5 psi out of a huge turbo, its all about CFM. REgardles, most new turbo cars run at least 20psi out of the box, my 2015 GTI runs 20psi stock and it made 235whp with just an intake. Lots of people are taking their stock motors and turbos past 30psi on these GTI's and it seems to be holding up fine(some people are right in the 400whp territory). Ultimately it comes down to having a well maintained car and a good tune if you do plan on altering your boost pressure. I have a custom tune on my GTI now and with only 1.5 psi more than stock i was able to make 300whp/355wtq, a 60+hp change and i think the car is running healthier now than it ever has. Hondapower.de has a lot of guys already reaching 380ish whp in the fk2 type r's and hondata already tuned their own fk2 type r in cali up to 328/335 @ 23psi . Assuming its the same engine or hopefully maybe a little better, i think 350whp is definitely achievable, maybe even with minimal bolt ons.
Sponsored