mathewp

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW Civic Type R, Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Hi I have a 2017 CTR Championship White in MA, with around 22500 miles. I have to very reluctantly sell it as we need to make space for my son who just got his license and needs a car to drive to school. I have valued at Carvana, Vroom, Cargurus etc. The highest offer I have is $38,100. In fact valuations reduced by $2k over the last two weeks from some of them as I presume new car supply is easing .Is this a fair price to let the car go. Any opinions appreciated. No accidents, very , minimal wheel curb rash. I do need to replace the brake pads I think and thinking that will be a $1000 spend to get Brembo pads replaced. Thanks.
Sponsored

Loaner10

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thats a great price!
I just did the online appraisal for my 2021 boost blue 4700 miles Clean title/No accidents for your comparison.
Bay Area, CA

Honda Civic 10th gen Valuation fair for 2017 Civic CTR ? Carvana.PNG

Honda Civic 10th gen Valuation fair for 2017 Civic CTR ? Vroom.PNG

OP
OP

mathewp

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thats a great price!
I just did the online appraisal for my 2021 boost blue 4700 miles Clean title/No accidents for your comparison.
Bay Area, CA

Carvana.PNG

Vroom.PNG
Thank you for the info. Appreciate you entering the info to get the carvana quote.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Nobody can really tell you what the fair price is considering how inflated the market is.
It’s whether you are happy with the 38k offer or not. Online appraisal amount seems to also vary by location.

i also have a 2017 and carvana was like 42.2k a week ago but I have much lower mileage than yours.

OP
OP

mathewp

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nobody can really tell you what the fair price is considering how inflated the market is.
It’s whether you are happy with the 38k offer or not. Online appraisal amount seems to also vary by location.

i also have a 2017 and carvana was like 42.2k a week ago but I have much lower mileage than yours.
Thanks. I am happy with the price as basically I got to drive the car for free for 4 years and what a wonderful car it is. Every time I drive it puts a smile on me. But seeing some posts where they were asking 15k dealer adjustments for a regular Civic, thought will check in with the experts on the forum.

OP
OP

mathewp

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Thanks. Yep these services seem to fluctuate quite a bit. My carvana valuation has been anywhere between 37k to 32k.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Note, pads are not $1000 for a Type R. Even my track pads only costs something like $350.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Teach kid responsibility and respect for possessions - have him work a part time job and split the cost of a nice beater car with him so he learns how to drive and can wreck a junker when he has the invariable accident.

Giving up the Type R is an option, but just know that you probably won't get another fun car in the forseeable future, so this is your chance to not only retain a fun one, but a practical one as well.

Dunno, I'm all about selling for reasons, but to make room for a car for a new driver just feels off to me when there are better options.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
OP
Have you tried going to CarMax - I was shocked that they offered me about $7k more (granted different car than a CTR) than Carvana did; and I thought the Carvana offer was solid. CarMax was offering me $34k with 41k on the odo - and I paid $33k for it back in 2018 for a 2017 370z Nismo 6MT.

Also - don't know your situation - but have you thought about keeping the CTR as the daily since it has a backseat and is a hatch and getting rid of the another car in the garage? Regardless - from my perspective - it's a good price bc the market WILL go back to normal and with the new CTR coming out - I can't see the current CTRs keeping their value this high. Just like my car will plummet in price when the market goes back to normal AND the new Z comes out.

Loaner10

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks. Yep these services seem to fluctuate quite a bit. My carvana valuation has been anywhere between 37k to 32k.
Yup, the highest offer I received was last month for $45K through carvana.
I would expect my 2021 Boost Blue with less than 5000 miles to be appraised a bit higher than your 2017 model. I am guessing it's due to the car being so new that there is not enough used sales data to give a real price on the car. These 20/21 are listed for $50-57K USED at dealerships here in Northern CA.
Honestly, I would keep the Type R because it's very likely you would regret selling such a fun sports car and getting a beater might cost you $10K+ for a car you simply don't want AND have unexpected problems. Maybe let your son drive the Type R? It's a nice car, but its a still a practical Honda Civic.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You could also talk to a tuner, and put on a tune that turns off the Turbo and let your son drive like that - then when you're comfortable with his abilities you can discuss turning on the powah.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Considering I paid like $38K for my 2021 brand new, I would say its a good price lol.

That's only assuming you don't just use it to go and overpay on some other used car right now. Only makes sense if you bank most of that money minus a SMALL fraction for some reliable beater your son can use to go from A to B.

Exactly why none of these crazy offers excite me in the least bit. What am I gonna do, accept a crazy high offer for my R just to go pay a crazy high price for something comparable? Makes no sense unless you're significantly downgrading as all desirable models from all manufacturer are marked up too high right now.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
Considering I paid like $38K for my 2021 brand new, I would say its a good price lol.

That's only assuming you don't just use it to go and overpay on some other used car right now. Only makes sense if you bank most of that money minus a SMALL fraction for some reliable beater your son can use to go from A to B.

Exactly why none of these crazy offers excite me in the least bit. What am I gonna do, accept a crazy high offer for my R just to go pay a crazy high price for something comparable? Makes no sense unless you're significantly downgrading as all desirable models from all manufacturer are marked up too high right now.
That is my dilemma, I went to go test drive a CTR at CarMax and while I really like the car - it's probably one of the best 'do it all, can only have one car' type of car. Even though CarMax is offering a crazy price for my Z - the CTR was $45k with only 5k on the odo - thought about it but just couldn't justify being on car payments again.
And when i look at what is out there - unless I went 'all out' and got a Supra - which I believe is one of the few cars you can still find at MSRP. OR....go the route of finding a 'cash car' and waiting it out - the 2 options on my list are a G35 coupe 6MT or an Acura RSX Type S
In the end I at least know what I have with my current ride so I figure let's just stay put even though I might regret this later haha.
Sponsored