Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Hi guys, I know I've discussed this before, but I'm still stuck to what the issue is. I know I've narrowed it down to valve stem seals or turbo. Its just a little puff of blue smoke at startup, and I'm burning exactly a half a quart every 1000 miles. The puff goes away quick and no smoke while going full throttle, and no smoke immediate restart to restart.

I saw a video of a guy smoke testing a turbo, thinking of trying that (through the oil feed line and watching for smoke through the exhaust side with DP off)

Next would be popping the turbo off and the intake to check for wetness in the intake runners.

Idk i've talked to many people and done lots of research, but its really starting to bug me bad, but I'm kinda stuck.

My two plans are: if its valve seals, buy a crv head and find upgraded viton valve seals (which I can't really don't know the size) Or rebuild the turbo.

Thanks
-Spence
Sponsored

Last edited:

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ehhh, I would just keep an eye on the oil level and keep adding just a little bit every couple weeks. I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Just make sure to keep it on point.

I had a thick smoke for about 4 seconds on a lot of startups. Thick enough to see it in all 3 mirrors at the same time. I measured a little bit of oil consumption like .3qt /1,000 miles. It smoked after pulling away from stops if I stayed idle for few minutes too. Fast forward to this year and it's hardly smoking at startup and I don't measure any oil consumption, less than .1qt /1,500 miles.

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Ehhh, I would just keep an eye on the oil level and keep adding just a little bit every couple weeks. I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Just make sure to keep it on point.

I had a thick smoke for about 4 seconds on a lot of startups. Thick enough to see it in all 3 mirrors at the same time. I measured a little bit of oil consumption like .3qt /1,000 miles. It smoked after pulling away from stops if I stayed idle for few minutes too. Fast forward to this year and it's hardly smoking at startup and I don't measure any oil consumption, less than .1qt /1,500 miles.

I know, but I have a shop at my disposal, I think I'm gonna make believe I'm a customer and call techline. I'm just really stumped. Well I kinda wanted to see what techline has to say, if its a full teardown it is, it is what it is lol.

The thing is I care too much what other people think, and a honda with 46k that makes a puff of oil at startup doesn't make me happy lol definitely gives me that "broken" car feel, like after I exploded my clutch tuned now this lol . My mazda speed with 147k miles never puffed like this, nor did my 100k old 05 crv.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Usually that's valve seals, prob a very long job on this engine as I suspect you'll have to pull the cams to get to the valves and seals. Cams and valve springs have to come off.

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Usually that's valve seals, prob a very long job on this engine as I suspect you'll have to pull the cams to get to the valves and seals. Cams and valve springs have to come off.
It gets worse cause I'm likely taking the head off, because the L series is not a K series (rockers and shafts don't just un bolt and come out as a unit) there are plugs that need to be taken out According to the honda IN), and the shafts the rockers mount on slide out gonna be a big mess of washers rockers and shims etc... that being said I'm not sure if there is enough room with the engine in the car to get that stuff off...

Still not totally sure on how it comes apart even with the diagrams.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
OP any update?
Lol it was actually valve seals, this was quite a while ago.

but I had the turbo warrantied and Did the work myself when I worked an my Honda dealer, and it still smoked afterwards but hey free turbo.

so I bought some gsc viton upgraded valve seals anda spring compressor I could do the job with the cylinder head on.

I did arp studs and a fresh headgasket cause why not.

3 of the valve seals on the exhaust side had melted off the valve guides.

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just got off the phone with my local dealer. They quited me a $4k job just to do the seals? Is this right?

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Just got off the phone with my local dealer. They quited me a $4k job just to do the seals? Is this right?
I really donā€™t know lol, I did it myself. It is a lot of work tho. Itā€™s an all labor cheap parts deal.

those gsc 1040 5.5mm stem viton seals were $14 for a set. That Does sound like a lot. Are you doing valve seals cause you have smoke at startup?

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Blue smoke on startup. I was thinking turbo but I just replaced it with a used one. So then I found this.

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Blue smoke on startup. I was thinking turbo but I just replaced it with a used one. So then I found this.
That sounds like valve seals then if itā€™s exclusively at startup.

You can do this job on your own but unless youā€™re mechanically inclined I donā€™t suggest it.
You can do it with the head on with the Jegs ohc ohv valve spring compressor and a leak down tester.
I was greeted by 3 of my exhaust valve seals freely able to move up and down the valve stems as in they werenā€™t attached.

As I said too I replaced my turbo and that didnā€™t fix it. With a new one. Honda techline said valve seals never failšŸ˜‚ jokes on them I got a free turbo and they were wrong lol.

the upgraded seals definitely make a difference as in they hold up. Iā€™ve beat the piss out of my car since then tuned too and no issues. If you order the seals they are

GSC 1040
GSC P-D Honda B, K, & H Series Viton 5.5mm Valve Stem Seal Set

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks man. Yeah I contacted my local tuner shop and they quoted me a $1600 job. So Iā€™ll probably go that way if it is the seals. Going to do a compression test when I get home just to make sure it isnt rings.

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Thanks man. Yeah I contacted my local tuner shop and they quoted me a $1600 job. So Iā€™ll probably go that way if it is the seals. Going to do a compression test when I get home just to make sure it isnt rings.
I did a compression and leak down test too and it came out mint. Hopefully you get lucky too lol. Yea that tuner shop is definitely realistic imo $5k is bs lol.
Those are the correct seals, I dug up the email from what I ordered.

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did a compression and leak down test too and it came out mint. Hopefully you get lucky too lol. Yea that tuner shop is definitely realistic imo $5k is bs lol.
Those are the correct seals, I dug up the email from what I ordered.
Well Hondaā€™s way to do the seals is to take the whole head off. The tuning shop does the compressed air into cylinders way. But either way, Iā€™ll definitely consider these seals from you. Thanks again OP
Sponsored