SI and Type R Launch Date

jeffreyyeung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Civic Type R
I called Honda Finance (Canada) today to extend the lease on one of my current vehicles. When they asked for the reason behind wanting the extension, I told them I was holding out for the Civic Type R next year (I've had my deposit down at a local dealership since November 2015). They then proceeded to tell me that in their system, they are showing a launch date for the Civic Type R of May 2017! Feeling super stoked and out of curiosity, I proceeded to ask them when the SI was due to launch. Interestingly enough, they said May 2017 as well.
Sponsored

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
An entire year? I thought they were getting released in Q3/Q4 of this year?

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I can't wait another damn year, but I would be pretty surprised if this information was in any system for them to give it away.

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe, 2016 HRV
Vehicle Showcase
I guess it's possible that it will be another year. That would explain why the sales people started freaking out when I was last at my dealership. They have their first allotment of Type Rs all spoken for with deposits and they said it would come in Q3 or early Q4. They freaked out because apparently Honda let them know that they won't get any Type Rs this year and they now have to contact the people to possibly cancel sales. I wanted one myself, but they told me they will put a 10-12k mark up because it will be a very limited release in the first year. I am not willing to pay such an outrageous price for one.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have deposits down at (2) local dealerships for the CTR and am at least as excited as anyone else on ths forum about getting it. If either of them tries to sell it over MSRP, I will walk, very politely, out the door. If either of them mentions a $10,000 - $12,000 mark up, I will have a good laugh, let them know they have lost my extended families business for life and alert Honda that one of their dealers is price gouging. I feel genuinly sorry for any dolt that gives away $45-$50k on a civic, regardless if it is a CTR. If you are willing to shop around/wait a bit, I guarantee that you will find a CTR for MSRP.

OP
OP

jeffreyyeung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would be the first I've heard of this. Don't give my hopes up, Balto! =P All indication from press releases and online sources thus far say that the launch date would be sometime in 2017. When in 2017 has been the million dollar question all along.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My expectation is to see the CTR make it's debut at the Paris Auto Show in October of this year and cars hitting dealerships in Q1 2017. Even less info out about the Si, but I would guess to see it in dealerships late Q3 - Q4 of this year.

OP
OP

jeffreyyeung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't wait another damn year, but I would be pretty surprised if this information was in any system for them to give it away.
The fact that I received the information from Honda Finance directly is why I thought this would be post worthy. The phone conversation basically went like this:

Me: My RDX lease is ending at the end of June. I'm looking to extend it as long as possible.
Honda: Sure, may we ask why?
Me: I'm holding out for the Civic Type R that's coming out sometime in 2017.
Honda: I'm afraid the maximum length we can extend your lease is an additional 6 months. But the Type R is not available until May 2017.
Me: WHAT?!?! You have a date?!?!
Honda: Yes, it says here in our system that the launch date is May 2017.

It's not an official press release or anything, but I'd say this is pretty exciting news coming from Honda Finance themselves. It's the most reliable information regarding the launch date I've had up to this day. As a side note, not to bore you guys with the details, but I plan to buy a beater in December and drive it for half a year or so. It's going to be soooooooooo painful!!! LOL!!!

OP
OP

jeffreyyeung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My expectation is to see the CTR make it's debut at the Paris Auto Show in October of this year and cars hitting dealerships in Q1 2017. Even less info out about the Si, but I would guess to see it in dealerships late Q3 - Q4 of this year.
According to this article (http://m.autoevolution.com/honda-civic-hatchback-coming-to-new-york-civic-si-and-new-type-r-in-2017-105800.html), Honda announced at the New York Autoshow back in March that the Si would "debut in 2017", which is in line with what Honda Finance told me. Sadly, I don't think we'll be seeing it this year...

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I guess it's possible that it will be another year. That would explain why the sales people started freaking out when I was last at my dealership. They have their first allotment of Type Rs all spoken for with deposits and they said it would come in Q3 or early Q4. They freaked out because apparently Honda let them know that they won't get any Type Rs this year and they now have to contact the people to possibly cancel sales. I wanted one myself, but they told me they will put a 10-12k mark up because it will be a very limited release in the first year. I am not willing to pay such an outrageous price for one.
Thats called a smart salesman. I'll bet a lot of money that someone will magically back out of a 'contract' and you will be offered a caR at a mark up. lol

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe, 2016 HRV
Vehicle Showcase
Thats called a smart salesman. I'll bet a lot of money that someone will magically back out of a 'contract' and you will be offered a caR at a mark up. lol
No this wasn't some kind of Grand scheme to sell. They already had all 4 sold. They aren't accepting any more deposits at all.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
At our dealership we haven't taken any deposits yet. And we won't until it is closer to the actual date. We don't make up our cars. Regardless of availability. So if you are struggling to find one just let me know. Because since I have worked there I have never seen anything sell for more than sticker price. I actually don't ever see anything self for sticker price either. Even with certain cars that were really hard to keep in. The new pilots wouldn't stay on the lot for more than 2 days and we still sold them at our discount. Even tho we could have easily sold them above sticker due to their demand.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
At our dealership we haven't taken any deposits yet. And we won't until it is closer to the actual date. We don't make up our cars. Regardless of availability. So if you are struggling to find one just let me know. Because since I have worked there I have never seen anything sell for more than sticker price. I actually don't ever see anything self for sticker price either. Even with certain cars that were really hard to keep in. The new pilots wouldn't stay on the lot for more than 2 days and we still sold them at our discount. Even tho we could have easily sold them above sticker due to their demand.
The dealer I work with won't take a deposit for the Si or Type R at this time, because there isn't even a build date.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
A dual launch would be interesting, but believable. The only reason I can see them holding back the Si until CTR debuts, is because of the motor (which is a good thing).
Sponsored

Last edited: