razvanu

First Name
Razvan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan 2020 1.5 i-VTEC
Country flag
Hello, just bought a 2020 Civic with 1.5 engine one week ago.
Today I checked the oil level (car has not been started for more than 24hours) and it is approximately at the pink line in the picture. (it exceeds the orange part of the dipstick for a little bit).
Should I contact the dealer for an oil change? It was last changed about 3700 miles ago, the car still has warranty.
Thanks.

Honda Civic 10th gen Should I change the oil? IMG_1342.JPG
Sponsored

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
First thing you do when buying used is change the oil. Also consider coolant, trans fluid, and any other maintenance items based on mileage. If it was already done, it was likely done with the cheapest stuff available.

That oil looks pretty bad. There's no reason for it to be overfilled unless the fuel injectors are leaking down. The oil dilution issue was fixed in 2019 IIRC.

GrDeleto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
First thing you do when buying used is change the oil. Also consider coolant, trans fluid, and any other maintenance items based on mileage. If it was already done, it was likely done with the cheapest stuff available.

That oil looks pretty bad. There's no reason for it to be overfilled unless the fuel injectors are leaking down. The oil dilution issue was fixed in 2019 IIRC.
Even CPO right? Just wondering. Because the car I have was only driven for like 15k miles. Though it was by 1 owner so.

RookieOfTheGear

First Name
Ay Ay Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Honda Civic Si (Coupe)
Country flag
Like every ones else said change everything when you buy it so you know for sure that everything is fresh and what dates you changed them how many miles and conditions they have been driven in. It’s like giving yourself a blank paper to start with. It’s up to you but just do it ur self if you have the tools already , going to the dealership is a hassle and takes alot of time sitting around waiting and they lose stuff to oil tray screws and clips the whole dam oil tray shield they are dumb and soulless thieves greedy tray losing !bolt dropping !screw robbing thieves and don’t tighten thing’s right and stuff breaks or falls and they turn around and blame it on you straight up. Just thinking about those idiots is making my blood boil into a murderous rage! One of these days man I’ll tell ya what when I finally snap I’m going to load up my trunk with home made explosives fire works n ammo middle eastern style and take it to the dealership ask for an oil change with a little wire going from the hood to the trunk to trigger it all. they will be popping open more than the hood that day and losing more than my oil tray. i need to go do some wiring research it’s about time someone starts a holy war with those warranty rejecting part losing finger pointing money grabbing snakes!

Last edited:

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Are you one of those guys that will let the maintenance minder set the pace, or do you have some other ideas on the subject?

The reason for asking, is because I change my oil at 5k intervals, far less than the maintenance minder will recommend, and I've found it convenient to align my changes with the odometer. For example, I just changed the oil in my car at 30k. It's easy to remember that way.

So, if you have similar thoughts, and you are a some increment from a nice even change number change interval, you might want to wait. 3750 miles on the oil is low, so you can easily extend that a good bit farther.

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if you have to ask the answer is always yes. btw, i absolutely hate the orange piece on the dip stick.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Even CPO right? Just wondering. Because the car I have was only driven for like 15k miles. Though it was by 1 owner so.
Even CPO. Crappy oil causes damage over time, not instantaneously. CPO is just a "feel good" label they put on vehicles to help them sell. As long as it makes it past whatever warranty the certification brings (if any), the sales lot doesn't care.

GrDeleto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Even CPO. Crappy oil causes damage over time, not instantaneously. CPO is just a "feel good" label they put on vehicles to help them sell. As long as it makes it past whatever warranty the certification brings (if any), the sales lot doesn't care.
What is "crappy oil?"

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
Changing fluids and plugs is a great first step in being intimate with your vehicle, kinda like foreplay
:rolleyes:

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
What is "crappy oil?"
You would have to work HARD to find any truly bad oils these days.

Bulk oil just means that it's packed in a large container, often a 55 gallon drum. This doesn't make it bad oil.

Even oils like Amazon/Costco/Supertech, are all just fine. Go to Bob Is the Oil guy and read oil analysis reports if you want to learn for yourself.

The only thing that I think is particularly important, is to use synthetic oil with a turbo car. Reason being, turbos run hot, and synthetic can tolerate high temps better than mineral oils, before they start to reach their vaporization temperature. The price of synthetic oil has come down a fair bit in recent times, so there isn't much of any downside.

Last edited:
OP
OP

razvanu

First Name
Razvan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan 2020 1.5 i-VTEC
Country flag
So I am going to change all filters (oil, air, cabin, petrol), engine and transmission oil, and break fluid. Is there anything else I should change?
Since the car still has warranty and I never worked on a car before I will do this at the dealership, hopefully they won't scam me.
Sponsored