First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could of maybe spliced and rewired from new harness instead of replacing whole harness

OP
OP
WOPcivic

WOPcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Could of maybe spliced and rewired from new harness instead of replacing whole harness
Yeah, the tech mentioned that it's possible to solder the wire but not recommended, because it's related to the coolant temp and engine. I also figured I'd be safe than sorry, since it's a crucial component to the car. I'm just glad it's all over now.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
If solders are possible and made by a pro ( electronics tech) harness will be as good as new.

Many mechanic only know how to replace parts, not repair them. There is a difference
On the other hand, I have to admit that the time needed ($$) to do the solders properly may make it as expensive as replacing all the harness.

OP
OP
WOPcivic

WOPcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
What was your reasoning for replacing the thermostat?
My car had a ton of trouble warming up over the winter. I'd drive home from work late at night (15-20 min drive) and the coolant temp gauge wouldn't even light up at all by the time I got home, if the outside temperatures were below -15 degrees celcius. I'd have the fans turned to the lowest, and have recirculation on to try and not cool down the engine too much, but my side windows keep fogging up as a result. I also touched the engine upon arriving home and it was barely lukewarm, even after driving it for that long. It was the last straw when I drove home in -25 degrees celcius weather and the condensation actually iced up on my side windows by the time I got home.

I drove the car for the previous 5 winters and it was warming up perfectly fine, until this winter. It sounded like the thermostat is stuck open, so that's why I decided to replace it.

OP
OP
WOPcivic

WOPcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If solders are possible and made by a pro ( electronics tech) harness will be as good as new.

Many mechanic only know how to replace parts, not repair them. There is a difference
On the other hand, I have to admit that the time needed ($$) to do the solders properly may make it as expensive as replacing all the harness.
Yeah, you are right. I'm sure the dealer also wanted to make more money from doing the full replacement than just soldering and splicing the wires as well.

Joseloga0297

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I finally picked it up my car yesterday, turns out I had damaged the wiring of the Ect1 sensor while replacing the thermostat, as @Romeoridgee had suggested. It was what caused the coolant temp gauge to be stuck at max, car being unable to start, and all warnings lit up on the dash. I ended up having to have the entire engine wiring harness replaced, so it was a very expensive mistake. Otherwise, the coolant and thermostat replacement actually went perfectly fine, had I actually been able to start and properly idle my car that day. Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions!
How did you end up damaging the wiring while replacing the thermostat? Did you bend it too much?

OP
OP
WOPcivic

WOPcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
How did you end up damaging the wiring while replacing the thermostat? Did you bend it too much?
I recall I had pushed the intercooler hose aside to access one of the bolts on the thermostat housing, and it must have stressed the wiring of the coolant temp sensor, which was connected to the hose and consisted of only 2 thin wires at the connector. The service manual called for dismantling the intercooler hose in that area, but I didn't, since figured I had enough room to work with. I could have sworn I didn't apply all that much pressure on the hose that day, but I guess those wires were really fragile.
Sponsored