Ripinfamous

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Someone may have already asked this question and if that’s the case I apologize. I’m looking to upgrade the intake on my ‘19 Si and debating between the a CAI and a SRI. My 3 main questions are:

1) I live in an area with several pot holes that fill up when it rains.. how concerned should I be if I do a CAI?

2) Is changing the filter on a CAI a real pain in the a** given it’s location?

3) I’ve been told that the sound from either one is the same and I’ve also been told that the sound from a SRI is louder because it’s in the engine bay. What are your thoughts on which one produces the best and loudest engine/turbo sounds when shifting

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Welcome to the community.
If you are only getting an aftermarket filter for the sound, then even a filter like the K&N typhoon will give a great sound. However, if you plan on adding maybe a tune at some point, then I would strongly suggest a true CAI like the PRL Cobra. The short intakes work, but also pick up a lot of engine bay heat, which you don't want.
I live in Florida & initially had the Typhoon, but after adding a tune, noticed how high my intake temperatures were getting (not to mention fuel trims, but that is another topic). The Cobra intake keeps my intake temperatures around 3-5 degs above ambient. It will climb when I get on it, but drops down fast- that never happened with a ram style intake. I'm not concerned with submerging the Cobra, as I'd have to be in over 14 inches of water & I don't drive in rivers.
Lastly cleaning the filter will be a hassle, but you're only doing it once in a while, so I don't even consider it a negative compared to what you get in return.
I'd say go for the Cobra & do it right the first time. I'd also say it is way louder than the Typhoon was. HTH & hopefully others will chime in

OP
OP

Ripinfamous

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Welcome to the community.
If you are only getting an aftermarket filter for the sound, then even a filter like the K&N typhoon will give a great sound. However, if you plan on adding maybe a tune at some point, then I would strongly suggest a true CAI like the PRL Cobra. The short intakes work, but also pick up a lot of engine bay heat, which you don't want.
I live in Florida & initially had the Typhoon, but after adding a tune, noticed how high my intake temperatures were getting (not to mention fuel trims, but that is another topic). The Cobra intake keeps my intake temperatures around 3-5 degs above ambient. It will climb when I get on it, but drops down fast- that never happened with a ram style intake. I'm not concerned with submerging the Cobra, as I'd have to be in over 14 inches of water & I don't drive in rivers.
Lastly cleaning the filter will be a hassle, but you're only doing it once in a while, so I don't even consider it a negative compared to what you get in return.
I'd say go for the Cobra & do it right the first time. I'd also say it is way louder than the Typhoon was. HTH & hopefully others will chime in
Thanks for the info. I’m not sure yet if I plan on getting a tune. Honestly I don’t even know how long I’ll keep the car and if it’s worth it. I’ve kept my last 4 cars 2-3 years tops. I want to say I’m gonna keep it long term but I said the same thing with my other cars lol. I heard the PRL has a conversion kit where I can switch between the SRI and the CAI

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I’m not sure yet if I plan on getting a tune. Honestly I don’t even know how long I’ll keep the car and if it’s worth it. I’ve kept my last 4 cars 2-3 years tops. I want to say I’m gonna keep it long term but I said the same thing with my other cars lol. I heard the PRL has a conversion kit where I can switch between the SRI and the CAI
Only you can decide if it is worth doing, but it does wake the car up in terms of responsiveness. As for the sound, you'll be grinning every time you change gear, or just let off the throttle.
They do sell a conversion kit, but I'd still suggest going for the CAI initially & if you do plan on submerging the car, then go SRI. HTH

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport CVT
Country flag
I JUST put on my PRL Cobra CAI yesterday.
1. If you're not submerging the filter or splashing it with a ton of water while under WOT, you're fine. The foglight area is pretty well sealed. So don't worry about it IMO
2. Haven't changed the filter, but when doing my install the filter was the last thing to go on. It is a pain in the ass compared to the short ram. NO DOUBT. But given the cleaning interval, I'd say just suck it up.
3. Sound should be about the same. I did several pulls last night and the Cold air intake is LOUD. it sounds BEAUTIFUL. If you're interested in power and don't mind a hard ass install, go with the CAI. But serious, the install is pretty hard. Took me 3 hours and when fitting the plastic piece that the filter attaches to, I almost gave up. that is the real advantage of the SRI. But the Cold Air will make more power for sure. Once you get through the cold air install, you won't regret it for a second

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What @InhumanFabrication said is the exact reason why I didn't do the Cobra. It's a pain in the ass and it's not legal in CA. If you keep the car long enough, you won't pass SMOG because it's not CARB certified, which isn't the case in every state, but it is in California.

I don't have a tune, but I do have the Mishimoto intake that was a cinch to install because you don't have to get under he car to remove the lower OE airbox. It's not a true CAI but I don't tune or drive my car hard. The sound is pretty cool though at around 4.5-5K RPM's. Don't know if it adds any power, probably not, but the install is simple and fun. Cleaning it is a cinch.

Having said that, the PRL Cobra seems to be the CAI of choice for most members on this forum, just not for me for the reasons I mentioned above.

https://www.mishimoto.com/honda-civic-si-performance-air-intake-2017.html

Here's a video posted by one of the members on this forum.

Polymer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Stupid question but with the CAI, where is it pulling air from since it's pretty tucked away in the bumper?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stupid question but with the CAI, where is it pulling air from since it's pretty tucked away in the bumper?
The filter is in the fender well in front of the driver side tire/behind driver side fog light
Sponsored