First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - New to me on 3/13/2023
Country flag
FYI - some learnings:
- as noted in another thread, Lab Metal, from Alvin Products, works wonderfully to fix rash. Even my powdercoat guy was impressed with my work & how it turned out (invisible). With a chisel, nail starter, and sand paper you can cure a lot of rash because the metal is soft and you can move it around, undoing the rash. Build back up or fill with Lab Metal what rash you can’t cure with those tools.
- Lab Metal, which cures at room temp in a few hours, works easily with small metal files and sandpaper. You are better off over-filling and working down vs. trying to build up with multiple applications.
- my local powder coat guy refused to do the red stripe, and also kinda refused to do the inside of the barrels in black to hide brake dust. I thought black barrels would be cool & useful.
- he also said it’s far more cost efficient to do your own ceramic coat after all powder/paint is done, because a DIYer can wait for the product to cure & do multiple coats. Cerakote is the product he uses and recommends.
- touchupdirect.com, of Chico, CA, supplies guaranteed color match spray cans in OEM colors to do the red stripe & clear coat. I also sprang for a can of white to match the center caps to the white wheels. A better look than leaving the caps black, IMO.
- to do rash repair (and painting of red stripe, I suspect) I used common household “rope chaulk’ to protect & mask the interior and exterior of the channel on wheel that contains the red stripe. Cheap, efficient and effective I found.
- when buying Lab Metal, get the smallest size (1 oz.?). The 12 oz size is way too much for a single rashed wheel repair.

After & before pics below. White wheel closest was the rashed wheel.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM 20s - Rash Fix & White Powdercoat 73041167314__0CD5721E-C56D-4FBB-87EF-99F6DB38B6F8

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM 20s - Rash Fix & White Powdercoat IMG_0528

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM 20s - Rash Fix & White Powdercoat IMG_0527

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM 20s - Rash Fix & White Powdercoat IMG_0529

Last edited:

Eagleoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I recently powered coated a set of 20” OEMs champ white and hand painted the red pin stripe with 3 coats of Rallye Red. Not difficult to do. Easy to wipe off the excess. It turned out fantastic. They are getting ceramic coated before having the tires mounted. I can’t wait to see them on the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM 20s - Rash Fix & White Powdercoat IMG_1905

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - New to me on 3/13/2023
Country flag
Excellent! Please tell me about how you paired the stripe! I was going to spray it after masking, then spray clear coat, and then do ceramic. Did you paint center caps yourself?