My Mpg has been rather poor on my Sport Hatch.

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex HB FK7
"Range" is "how far you can go on a tank". "MPG" is about efficiency, which is how many miles you've gone per gallon -- and you don't have to drain a tank to find MPG, you can check it even if you only refill with 3 gallons.

Considering that the difference between 9.5 and 10.5 gallons is around 25-35 miles (ish), which can change your "range" from, say, 250 to 280 miles, you're better off just filling it to the top every time and using the trip odometer's readout to calculate your miles-per-gallon. You could do like we did in the days before trip odometers and keep a log book in the glove compartment, writing down the main odometer reading at every fill-up.

It's hard to say whether you're actually having a problem or not when your data isn't very clear.

FWIW, my gas mileage depends a lot on how I drive the car. In my EP, I used to get as low as 20 mpg, or even lower if it was a race day; but when driving carefully (like with my wife in the car), I got high 20's, and even better than 30 mpg a few times.

Ultimately, though, tracking MPG is best used to watch for trends. A sudden drop in MPG that stays low through a couple tanks (and no change in driving style) could indicate a problem with the engine. Generally, though, you're going to drive and refill no matter what, and fluctuations in gas prices will affect you more directly than how much fuel you're actually burning.
How am i not being clear? I have a 10 gallon tank. Just like you. And every other civic. I left dealer with a full tank of gas and only 22 miles on the odometer. I ran it as empty as i could to see its mpg. I know it can be done with a few gallons. Im not stupid. I wanted to see it based on all 10 gallons. My average mpg meter is even stupider. It says im getting 22.8mpg, wich is less than its getting. However if u guys here go by that maint minder thing then im not surprised at the responses im getting here. Lol i use real world figures and math. Not look at a comp counter that is guessing. If you have a 10 gallon tank and u end at 266 miles, not kmh, thats 26mpg overall. Idk how much clearer you can possibly get? Math does not lie. Lol
Sponsored

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How am i not being clear? I have a 10 gallon tank. Just like you. And every other civic. I left dealer with a full tank of gas and only 22 miles on the odometer. I ran it as empty as i could to see its mpg. I know it can be done with a few gallons. Im not stupid. I wanted to see it based on all 10 gallons. My average mpg meter is even stupider. It says im getting 22.8mpg, wich is less than its getting. However if u guys here go by that maint minder thing then im not surprised at the responses im getting here. Lol i use real world figures and math. Not look at a comp counter that is guessing. If you have a 10 gallon tank and u end at 266 miles, not kmh, thats 26mpg overall. Idk how much clearer you can possibly get? Math does not lie. Lol
Ive done the logging in a book w receipts thing with all of my cars. In fact so much so that i won my lemon law case against honda with my 2011 honda fit that averaged 16.7mpg! That was a fun time let me tell you, but finally honda threw up their hands and just replaced it with a 2013 model. But im VERY , actually OVERLY aware of how to track mpg. I went through a nightmare with that car! And i knew it was something bad cause my 09 fit , basically same car , a ge8, averaged 37.6mpg consistently for 2 yrs. Then the 2011 was night and day different. Then the 2013 they replaced the 2011 with was just like my 09 as it also gave me a consistent 38.5mpg. Im not going to waste my time w this one. Im just going to take it in and start asking questions! Not going to play this game w honda again!!

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have 3500 miles on SP hatchback now and mpg is up to 36 mpg with eco always off.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12.39 gallons.
http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hatchback/#specifications

Y'all have ten-gallon hats down thar in Texas, sure, but that ain't no ten-gallon gas tank.

So -- do you fill it with ten gallons of gas every time? Never more, never less? Same gas station, same pump?
Well from dead empty, literally pushed as far as safe felt it only takes 10.21gallons. so if im supposed to ve fitting what you said then somethings def wrong. Ive only had one fill up. And yes i generally will do same station same pump. But like i said in my orig post ive only filled up once. I ran thru the entire first tank and ended at 288miles. It had 22 on it when i left dealer. I filled it up when it was bone dry empty. 10.21 gallons. Its under half a tank now already and i have 387miles on it now. Im sorry man, but somethings wrong. I am also in a 2017 hatchback model. Do the hatches have a diff tank? I know the floor designs different than coupes and sedans. Maybe smaller tank? Idk but im telling you, im 41yrs old, owned many many vehicles, this car was bone dry empty and only took 10.21 gallons. I was actually super thrilled cause i thought hell yeah, same capacity as my 13 fit sport!! Should cost me same on fillups as it did! Was super happy about it. So idk what its trip is but i aim to find out! Thanks for any and all help and suggestions though man!

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
@TxFk7 the reason you don't fill up to the manufacturer's rating on the tank (12.39 gallons) is there is room for reserve. All cars are pretty much like this...

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well from dead empty, literally pushed as far as safe felt it only takes 10.21gallons. so if im supposed to ve fitting what you said then somethings def wrong. Ive only had one fill up. And yes i generally will do same station same pump. But like i said in my orig post ive only filled up once. I ran thru the entire first tank and ended at 288miles. It had 22 on it when i left dealer. I filled it up when it was bone dry empty. 10.21 gallons. Its under half a tank now already and i have 387miles on it now. Im sorry man, but somethings wrong. I am also in a 2017 hatchback model. Do the hatches have a diff tank?
The page I linked to is the hatchback specs. Click the red "See All Specs" button, scroll down to EPA Ratings & Fuel, and click that.

(tangent: this "mobile first" trend in webpage design is KILLING me... very few sites get it right, and Honda's gone and blown it as badly as anyone...)

The total capacity of just over 12 gallons includes whatever reserve that goes below "E"; when the light comes on, it should be enough for another gallon or two's worth of range. It's never "bone dry empty" until it actually runs out of gas and strands you on the side of the road.

If you're filling it with exactly 10.00 gallons every time and checking how many miles you've gone between each fillup, then yeah, you're able to track gas mileage, even if the method is inconvenient (any fillup of less than ten gallons will throw your calculations out of whack, as you know).

Or you could just do like I do: fill it completely whenever it's convenient and use the trip odometer to estimate mileage.

You mentioned your Fit that did 16.7 mpg -- was that every time? Were you sure that the pump was accurate? Did you try different gas stations? Didn't any mechanic successfully figure out why it was using so much gas? What excuse did Honda keep giving you that you had to pull the lemon law on them?

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The page I linked to is the hatchback specs. Click the red "See All Specs" button, scroll down to EPA Ratings & Fuel, and click that.

(tangent: this "mobile first" trend in webpage design is KILLING me... very few sites get it right, and Honda's gone and blown it as badly as anyone...)

The total capacity of just over 12 gallons includes whatever reserve that goes below "E"; when the light comes on, it should be enough for another gallon or two's worth of range. It's never "bone dry empty" until it actually runs out of gas and strands you on the side of the road.

If you're filling it with exactly 10.00 gallons every time and checking how many miles you've gone between each fillup, then yeah, you're able to track gas mileage, even if the method is inconvenient (any fillup of less than ten gallons will throw your calculations out of whack, as you know).

Or you could just do like I do: fill it completely whenever it's convenient and use the trip odometer to estimate mileage.

You mentioned your Fit that did 16.7 mpg -- was that every time? Were you sure that the pump was accurate? Did you try different gas stations? Didn't any mechanic successfully figure out why it was using so much gas? What excuse did Honda keep giving you that you had to pull the lemon law on them?

I ran it 41miles after the light came on so didnt wanna push it too much more. But wanted it as empty as i could safely manage without getting stranded. Lol

As far as the fit went, nope no mechanic could figure it out. It went into honda of spring 5 times and they couldnt figure it out either, they finally threw their hands up and admitted it was just that engine they supposed. Yes i consistently used same station, same pump by my house. Till honda gave me a log book and asked me to do three fill ups at same station, same pump, and log everything and keep receipts, then they wanted it done three times at a different station and at its same pump, then twice more at a two other different stations and i turned the 2011 fit sport over with all of that to them and three days later they sent me home in a 2013 model. It was a harrowing experience to say the least. Lol but in the end honda north america took care of me so ive remained loyal as ever. Now im hoping this car isnt a repeat! I mean what would be the chance? Lol hondas gonna say im a lemon if this happens again lol

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Idk , mayyyyyyyybe itll get better when i move to Alberta Ca here in next 6mtnhs!!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As far as the fit went, nope no mechanic could figure it out. It went into honda of spring 5 times and they couldnt figure it out either, they finally threw their hands up and admitted it was just that engine they supposed. Yes i consistently used same station, same pump by my house. Till honda gave me a log book and asked me to do three fill ups at same station, same pump, and log everything and keep receipts, then they wanted it done three times at a different station and at its same pump, then twice more at a two other different stations and i turned the 2011 fit sport over with all of that to them and three days later they sent me home in a 2013 model. It was a harrowing experience to say the least. Lol but in the end honda north america took care of me so ive remained loyal as ever. Now im hoping this car isnt a repeat! I mean what would be the chance? Lol hondas gonna say im a lemon if this happens again lol
What Honda was doing by making you go to different stations was making sure that your gas station wasn't screwing you over with a tampered gas pump. Happened to my mom once -- got a fillup in our Plymouth that was well over capacity, (the pump claimed it gave us like 19 gallons when the tank was 15) and when we reported the station to the BBB, they got investigated and were shut down within weeks.

That's pretty great that Honda swapped out the entire car, though.

I'm still in the experimental phase with mine. Drove the first tankful on Econ, then switched it off for the second and drove most of it by only watching the boost gauge, attempting to stay at zero-to-low boost. I got just over 31 mpg last time I looked (sitting in the parking lot at work to do conference calls doesn't help...). What's bugging me now is the info display won't show trip history of past fill-ups, which is the topic of another thread. BUT, I didn't keep a log book in my EP -- hell, I haven't logged my mileage in at least twenty years -- so I'm not giving myself any reason to stress anyway.

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What Honda was doing by making you go to different stations was making sure that your gas station wasn't screwing you over with a tampered gas pump. Happened to my mom once -- got a fillup in our Plymouth that was well over capacity, (the pump claimed it gave us like 19 gallons when the tank was 15) and when we reported the station to the BBB, they got investigated and were shut down within weeks.

That's pretty great that Honda swapped out the entire car, though.

I'm still in the experimental phase with mine. Drove the first tankful on Econ, then switched it off for the second and drove most of it by only watching the boost gauge, attempting to stay at zero-to-low boost. I got just over 31 mpg last time I looked (sitting in the parking lot at work to do conference calls doesn't help...). What's bugging me now is the info display won't show trip history of past fill-ups, which is the topic of another thread. BUT, I didn't keep a log book in my EP -- hell, I haven't logged my mileage in at least twenty years -- so I'm not giving myself any reason to stress anyway.
Yeah i cant complain about the way they took care of me. Ive bought 4 cars in a row now since 09 from Honda of Spring formerly known as Goodson Honda and they have ALWAYS been great to me. Everyone there just about knows me, they say hi and even say my name everytime, even if its been a year since last seeing one of em, their utterly wonderful at this dealer. Neil Pratt is the best finance guy that works for any honda dealer anywhere i can guarantee that! Yeah it was trivial, but i appreciated they made me do that. I thought theyd just replace the engine. Or trans. Nope, they sent me rollin in a new model!

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
In order to properly track efficiency (MPG), you need to fill your tank completely as a starting point. Then you log your odometer. Drive it until you fill up. It doesn't matter how far that is. You can do this at 3/4 tank, 1/4 tank, or empty. When you do fill up the next time, you log your mileage. You take the difference in the two mileage values, and that is how far you drove. You take the measure of fuel from your gas receipt (gallons), and divide it by your distance on that tank. That's how you get miles per gallon. You divide miles by gallon. Per means divide in math speak.

It literally does not matter the size of your tank. If you are taking the size of your tank into account when trying to calculate your efficiency, you are doing it wrong.

When all else fails, install Road Trip on your phone and just fill in the blanks like I do.

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In order to properly track efficiency (MPG), you need to fill your tank completely as a starting point. Then you log your odometer. Drive it until you fill up. It doesn't matter how far that is. You can do this at 3/4 tank, 1/4 tank, or empty. When you do fill up the next time, you log your mileage. You take the difference in the two mileage values, and that is how far you drove. You take the measure of fuel from your gas receipt (gallons), and divide it by your distance on that tank. That's how you get miles per gallon. You divide miles by gallon. Per means divide in math speak.

It literally does not matter the size of your tank. If you are taking the size of your tank into account when trying to calculate your efficiency, you are doing it wrong.

When all else fails, install Road Trip on your phone and just fill in the blanks like I do.
Thanks for advice! But ive did that too, and it still matches odometer. No matter what way i do it it comes out the same. Im getting below average mpg as of now. However im going to see how its doing by the 1000 mile mark before i jump to conclusion. Its still very very new at under 400 miles , so im attributing this to break in period. If by 1000 miles its still subpar ill take it in to see whats going on. Thanks

rabit1111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Thanks for advice! But ive did that too, and it still matches odometer. No matter what way i do it it comes out the same. Im getting below average mpg as of now. However im going to see how its doing by the 1000 mile mark before i jump to conclusion. Its still very very new at under 400 miles , so im attributing this to break in period. If by 1000 miles its still subpar ill take it in to see whats going on. Thanks
Man I feel for you. I've driven close to 6k miles and my average is 42+ mpg and that is doing 65-75. For the past 2 tanks, I averaged 45-46 mpg.

TxSi

H Badge Faithful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man I feel for you. I've driven close to 6k miles and my average is 42+ mpg and that is doing 65-75. For the past 2 tanks, I averaged 45-46 mpg.
Damn! Lol i could only dream! But its all good, itll get fingered out! One way or another
Sponsored