"My engine makes a grinding noise upon startup!" - What's going on?

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
2016 Civic #2 does this and 2016 Civic #1 never did. I brought it up to the dealership yesterday as we had some other issues and the service assistant pretty much said they know its a problem but Honda denies it and has told them not to fix it. She still added it on the repair order so I'm curious what they do or write down when we get the car back.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I wouldn't count on it. Plausible deniability on their end. The third gear issues on the 2006-11 Si went on for almost a decade before Honda even acknowledged it and kept the TSB under wrap.
The 3rd gear issue for the Si only effected the '06, '07, and early '08 Si - The TSB 08-020 to authorize the fix is dated 12 April 2008. Perhaps not as quick a response as we would like - the '12 Si oil consumption issue took about a year, the '16 2.0 retaining clip was quicker - but considerably less than a decade.
You/we really need to wait and see what Honda determines the issue to be, if it's an issue.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Hello! Has anyone had any luck getting this issue fixed? My 2016 Touring has been at Capitol Honda in San Jose since Tuesday because they claim "it hasn't re-created the issue." I told them it does it so often when I have it I'm not picking it up until it gets fixed. I gave the service advisor the posted videos and a video of my own car making the noise and still the proverbial shoulder shrug. I now have Honda of America involved and have a case filed and everything! Honda asked me "what do want us to do to resolve the issue?" I said i just want my car fixed. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated, thx!

TenGen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6 Speed
I'd ask for a refund and then get a Mazda3.
And it would depreciate like crazy. Unfortunately the best car in this class is the civic, if your having issues with it just gonna have to suck it up. Every new car has issues.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'd ask for a refund and then get a Mazda3.
Ironically, Mazda had their share of issues on this as well. The actuator was allowing significant slack in the chain at cold startup and was hitting the top of the timing chain cover (hence the noise).

Our way of testing was to place the motor at TDC (top dead center) and check for slack in the chain. And the chain on Mazda's design was partially accessible underneath by removing the oil cap. Mazda's answer was to extend coverage on the VTC actuator and chain for a full 7 years.

I'm not sure if you guys have the same type of visibility, but you can try looking inside for contact marks between the chain and cover. Not saying this is the issue, but is one of several reasons that could explain the noise. And one you'll want to address quickly to prevent accelerated wear.

Hope this helps. And kudos to the OP for the extensive detail.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
You know, I see these kinds of responses a lot so I'm questioning the audacity of highlighting Mazda"s obscure problems while sugarcoating Honda's problems. Being an owner of both Mazdas and Hondas, I should probably give my take rather than sit by while the senseless "Mazda sucks because of resale" argument prevails or some obscure timing chain problem which would be covered under warranty anyway.

First, ALL cars depreciate. It's a given just like the sun rises in the East so no surprise there but to generally claim that any Mazda will be worth less than an equivalent Honda at a certain point without any imperical evidence is misleading. Luckily, owning both a 2014 Mazda6 Grand Touring and a 2016 Civic EX-T, I can say with genuine experience that the Mazda is superior in every way, not only in construction but materials.

Don't get me wrong; having had Civics and Accords since to 80s, they've been robust and unquestionable cars until this year's. Yeah, all first-year runs have their problems but the 2016 Civic's unconscionable lack of quality control will strand it uniquely less valuable than its 2017 Honda successor and its Mazda competitor.

None of the problems I have in my 2016 Civic are present in the Mazda; no startup grind, no dimpled C pillars and no misaligned body panels...nothing. Not only did Mazda get it right in their latest generation but they added more creature comforts and better tactile elements than Honda. Cloth armrests in a Mazda? Not a chance, even in base form!

So, if the new standard of comparison here is some guy reading a couple unsubstantiated opinions on the Internet that all Mazdas suck then I'm forced to be the pariah that insists that they don't.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The purpose of this post is to highlight the potential severity of these symptoms. Not bash one brand over another. And to be fair, they are wrapping up their 2nd year of the current Mazda 3 design. By then I'd expect most of these type of issues to be worked out (they revised the VTC/VVT four times within 2 years). In Honda's maiden year, any possible issues are just becoming known.

While these cars are certainly different, the symptoms seem surprisingly similar. And one I have first hand experience with. It's an expensive fix (i.e. possible new motor) should the chain jump the VTC actuator. That is, if the actuator is to blame.

Again, not trying to scare anyone. But that noise could end up being potentially serious if left unchecked.

Last edited:

TenGen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6 Speed
The purpose of this post is to highlight the potential severity of these symptoms. Not bash one brand over another. And to be fair, they are wrapping up their 2nd year of the current Mazda 3 design. By then I'd expect most of these type of issues to be worked out (they revised the VTC/VVT four times within 2 years). In Honda's maiden year, any possible issues are just becoming known.

While these cars are certainly different, the symptoms seem surprisingly similar. And one I have first hand experience with. It's an expensive fix (i.e. possible new motor) should the chain jump the VTC actuator. That is, if the actuator is to blame.

Again, not trying to scare anyone. But that noise could end up being potentially serious if left unchecked.
There is a big chance that they share the same part as well lol

pammaue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRV
very detailed i like it... but let's just pray that honda gets this fixed... i REALLY wish i was having this issue ONLY on cold starts because that would be less embarrassing then having this car grind loud af after all the errands throughout the day.. I've personally never experienced a cold start rattle but let's hope honda fixes this asap
Taking my CRV in on Monday, they finally have a fix for it

pammaue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRV

Take it to the dealer, they now have a fix