Loose Pan scraping , any mechanics here ?

OLD_Detroiter

16CivicEX-T
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fuelly.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
So there's a cover underneath the car, 2016 Civic, fell down a couple weeks ago. Can I just remove this thing ? It's so LOUD and annoying when this happens. The dealer fixed it but it just fell down again. Thank you!
Sponsored

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
These things loosen and break off with almost guaranteed certainty. Find a replacement for just the metal part or replace with an aftermarket alternative. You can also replace the fasteners, depends on what’s causing it fall down in the first place. FYI, if you don’t do oil changes yourself, this will keep happening, as many workers don’t really care to reinstall the bolts and fasteners correctly… especially at quick lube places.

You can drive without one, but just know if there’s salt on the roads this can lead accelerated rusting, and that loose debris could potentially get knocked up under there.

OP
OP

OLD_Detroiter

16CivicEX-T
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fuelly.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. Thing is I take it to dealership for all my oil changes. They make the same mistakes. I don't understand but I have been driving since I was 18, so 40 years. Love the car but that pan guard is a real PITA. Last time this happened we had heavy snow (2 weeks ago) and I was scraping the bottom of the car, just knocked it loose. I guess I just have to replace it then.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. Thing is I take it to dealership for all my oil changes. They make the same mistakes. I don't understand but I have been driving since I was 18, so 40 years. Love the car but that pan guard is a real PITA. Last time this happened we had heavy snow (2 weeks ago) and I was scraping the bottom of the car, just knocked it loose. I guess I just have to replace it then.
if it’s still falling off even after they “fixed” it, it’s likely that the plastic part that the fasteners affix to are cracked/broken, so that the fasteners won’t lock into it. If you can get under your car look for that and maybe use zip ties as a temporary fix.

An aftermarket plate may also get around the issue since some use different style of fasteners than the OEM.

The OEM metal plate itself is like $50, an aftermarket version of that metal plate may be around $100 - $200, but replacing the whole OEM plastic assembly is $300+ … if I remember correctly. So definitely see if you can avoid the last option.